bistoboy
studio-pots
big ed
18 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Lucie Rie - Page 6 Empty Re: Lucie Rie

Post by studio-pots October 29th 2023, 3:04 pm

A handled milk jug around 5 inches tall that I bought recently with the intention of selling but I think that I might keep it for a while.

Lucie Rie - Page 6 Lr_mil10

A close up of the mark on the base.

Lucie Rie - Page 6 Lr_mil11

These side handled jugs seem to be a favourite of mine when it comes to Lucie Rie's work and it complements a large one that I have.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 29th 2023, 3:33 pm

That is a nice one Studio. Would you say that was a 1957 mark? The most interesting of these pieces are the ones with both HC and LR on.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6449
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 29th 2023, 4:05 pm

Until you asked the date question, I can't ever recall thinking about the slight changes in her mark over the years.

However, if the marks book is correct then it is the 1957 mark.

The larger/taller piece that I have is more interesting, as it has more complexed sgraffito marking. The personal mark on that is much smaller and so later. Regarding your view about the double marked pieces being more interesting, I am going to name drop now. A few years ago Magdalene Odundo " popped round" and when I casually said that I was thinking of selling the taller one at some point (it was the only Lucie Rie pot that I had at the time) she said that I mustn't as it was so beautiful. NOTE: She came to see and take a Ladi Kwali pot that I was loaning to Farnham for a retrospective exhibition of Ladi Kwali's work.

I will add an earlier bowl (c 1953/4) that I have with two marks at some point.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 30th 2023, 7:15 am

You do move in high circles!
Its a pity really more research has not been done into the domestic wares and other production in the 50's. I think that she was the time when she was at her happiest, working with Hands Coper. Judging from the 1967 big exhibition, there was quite a lot more from that era that we do not see much of now. The domestic ware is some of the best 'everyday' work ever made by a Studio potter.
             In particular, I love the soup bowls, and those small squeezed bowls. Although I am not too sure of their use. Have you ever seen a oil and Vinegar set? Or a cylindrical bowl for holding cigarettes? They are in the 1967 catalogue.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 31st 2023, 4:12 pm

A bowl with an interesting provenance.

Lucie Rie - Page 6 Riecop10

and its base.

Lucie Rie - Page 6 Rie_co10

The bowl dates from around 1953/4 and was one of a pair bought by Trevor Coldrey in October 20002 from Henry Rothschild, founder of Primavera. Trevor was the founder of the Harlequin Gallery and from when I took over the gallery in 1999 he became my landlord until I left the original premises in 2009. Trevor had been a long standing customer of Henry's and was one of several such people invited to a private sale at Henry's home during Henry's downsizing.

Henry Rothschild got the bowls directly from Lucie when new and they became part of his collection. I think that the 50 on the base was a catalogue number for this private sale but can't be certain.

You will note that the bowl has Lucie Rie's mark and that of Hans Coper as well.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot December 11th 2023, 3:21 pm

https://www.bonhams.com/press_release/37559/

New world record for a Lucie Rie bowl. £406,800 in Bonhams Paris on 6 December 2023, Total includes Buyer's premium.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman December 12th 2023, 4:25 pm

I wouldn't enjoy owning it at any price

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15426
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 13th 2023, 2:16 pm

dantheman wrote:I wouldn't enjoy owning it at any price

I agree. It does absolutely nothing for me and what is the real shame is that to my mind her best work doesn't command the prices than her lesser offerings do.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot December 18th 2023, 7:06 pm

Which begs the question. Which is her best work? Certainly the dainty different coloured bowls are the ones that have fetched very large prices. But the slender Trumpet vases which she made for a few years either side of 1980.Those were held in high esteem once. Especially the ones with the coloured spirals, Pink in particular. There was one the front cover of Paul Rice's book, on the 1990 front cover of the V&A catalogue, and there was one on the stamps in the Royal Mail studio pottery stamp collection in the 1980's.
But they seem to have gone rather out of fashion now. The small bowls fetching far higher prices than these vases.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum