NaomiM
studio-pots
Potty
andy.pauline
big ed
32 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 Empty Re: David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery

Post by philpot March 23rd 2021, 10:25 pm

Lowerdown pottery was David Leach's pottery from 1956 onwards. He had a number of apprentices including John Maltby. The L+ work would mostly have been made by an apprentice. as this one probably was.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6399
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 Empty Re: David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery

Post by NaomiM March 28th 2022, 4:34 pm

David Leach mug

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 Bcf39b10

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 4123d610 lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 F820b010

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31503
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 28th 2022, 4:38 pm

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 4c93b010

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 E4c9de10 lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 A8552610

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 29th 2022, 8:22 am

The decoration of that looks very good and could well have been done by David himself. However, I remember a conversation with his youngest son, Simon, about whenever he came to visit he always got roped into decorating the "less expensive" Lowerdown mark pieces and got quite good at it.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 Empty David Leach teapot with painted DL mark next to stamped Lowerdown mark.

Post by Bildeborg June 22nd 2022, 3:58 pm

Hello Forum, this is my first post.

I wonder if anyone can help. I've just acquired a beautiful celadon glazed, bamboo handled teapot with the Lowerdown mark stamped into the clay and a D inside an L painted on the bottom.

Was it unusual for David Leach to mark his pots so?

Hopefully my image is below...

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 Pot_1010

Regards,

Jay in Cornwall.
Bildeborg
Bildeborg

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2022-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Bildeborg June 22nd 2022, 4:51 pm

I forgot to mention, it does have David's popular foxglove motif on either side.

Jay in Cornwall.
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 Pot_111
Bildeborg
Bildeborg

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 22nd 2022, 5:57 pm

He did use a written mark sometimes in place of his stamped mark. I'm guessing he mislaid his stamp that day.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 22nd 2022, 9:48 pm

Another option is that he had planned to sell it cheaper, as just a Lowerdown pot, but was so happy with the decoration that he signed it, so that he could charge more money.

Having met and spoken with David on many occasions, I would think that my suggestion is more likely. He liked making money, but he was always good humoured with it.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Bildeborg June 23rd 2022, 1:13 pm

Thanks Naomi & Studio Pots for your prompt replies. Do I take it that you have seen yourselves his pots with a painted D inside an L?

Regards,

Jay.
Bildeborg
Bildeborg

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 23rd 2022, 1:57 pm

There are a couple of examples on this thread.

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t12066p25-david-leach#163503

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bildeborg June 23rd 2022, 2:33 pm

Thanks again Naomi, most helpful.

When I bought the teapot last week, the seller said it "might be by David Leach", now I'm pretty certain it is.

Regards,

Jay.
Bildeborg
Bildeborg

Back to top Go down

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 Empty Lowerdown Pottery David Leach question

Post by Cat April 5th 2023, 2:50 pm

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 Fb01f210
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 B32e4610
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 08745310
I have a little simple bowl here with the Lowerdown Pottery David Leach mark. It also has another mark but I don’t know what this signifies? I also don’t know whether that Lowerdown mark means it’s made directly by David Leach or not? I can’t seem to find out online, lots of sites just say they’re made by him... any ideas? thanks
Cat
Cat
Cat

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2023-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 5th 2023, 3:43 pm

It ws not made by David Leach himself. The L+ sign is the one used by apprentices who worked with him. He had quite a few over the years including John Maltby and Tim Andrews. What you have here is a fairly straight forward soup/fruit bowl that would have been part of the standard ware range that the apprentices would have  made lots of to hone their skills.
David Leach was a famous potter , who invariably used his PERSONAL D/L mark combined with the L+. He was well aware of the extra value that his personal mark and reputation gave his pots.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat April 5th 2023, 4:04 pm

Hi,
OK many thanks that clears things up a bit! Still not sure if the other mark signifies who made it? Many sites are very misleading simply showing that mark as a 'David Leach' signature. Your answer does make sense! Thanks
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 5th 2023, 4:55 pm

The other mark looks like a 7. It's standard ware so probably only has significance to the pottery

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat April 5th 2023, 5:13 pm

Thanks! You've both been a great help! Such a great forum.
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 5th 2023, 11:43 pm

The 7 is a code for the glaze mix inside the bowl. Therefore it is a trail piece but of course still OK to be sold as part of the inexpensive functional ware range with the Lowerdown Cross (L+) mark. It is a glaze that doesn't look familiar and I have seen many hundreds of such bowls over the years and still use some.

David always liked to have pottery on sale at Lowerdown to "suit every pocket" and did in fact make thousands of pieces with just the L+ seal, when he was working alone, to satisfy this demand. However, as he said once when I was there buying stock for my gallery and included a couple of L+ items, "I should have put my personal seal on those two and then I could have charged you more."

Therefore if anyone suggests that you should pay more for a piece with a L+ seal because they say that David made it, your answer should be that David Leach didn't charge more when he told potential buyers that he had made an L+ piece, so they certainly had no right to demand more.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat April 6th 2023, 1:56 pm

That’s very interesting- and especially from someone who met him! I found this in a mixed lot from someone who just saw it as general pottery and wasn’t even looking for any kind of makers mark, so I got it cheap anyway! It was actually almost lost to the sea and spent four nights floating around in Poole harbour in a very well packaged parcel before being fished out by someone who then contacted me... so it has an extra story too it!!!
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 6th 2023, 2:42 pm

The back story sounds interesting but this thread isn't the place but you could start a new thread in the Lava Lounge!

I knew David for the last 15 years of his life and had quite considerable contact with him, so everything that I write about David comes from David himself or from other potters that knew him well.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 Empty David Leach's Lowerdown Pottery

Post by peterart April 11th 2023, 8:11 pm

Hi,
It appears to me like David Leach ? Is it?
Thanks
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 113
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 7 213
peterart
peterart

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2016-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 11th 2023, 8:51 pm

It’s Lowerdown Pottery’s standard ware

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 11th 2023, 8:53 pm

The L+ items were generally Standard Ware made by apprentices that David Leach had working with him. Potters like John Maltby and Tim Andrews. David Leach might possibly have made some standard ware items to keep the stock fresh. But it is generally accepted that the L+ items are not made by him. The only pieces made by David Leach are the ones with his personal mark and the L+.
This is a fairly simple jug.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 12th 2023, 2:24 pm

Although part of the standard ware range at Lowerdown, it does look like a very fine example from your photograph. If it was mine, I think it would go in my kitchen cabinet and be used.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 13th 2023, 10:23 am

Indeed Studio. The one thing you can say about hand made standard ware is that it is durable! We have St Ives bowls, Winchcombe plates and jugs we have in daily use for 20 years or more. This sort of piece was made and designed to be used, not to be stuck in a cabinet for umpteen years!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 13th 2023, 3:22 pm

That reminds me of a story that I heard a long time ago.

Someone took a slipware jug that Michael Cardew had made at Winchcombe to show him at Wenford Bridge. The person that owned the jug said something along the lines of that he thought that this was the most wonderful jug that he had ever seen. Michael's reply was, "Well, it can't be that good as no one has used it!"

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum