David Leach

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: David Leach

Post by big ed on March 23rd 2014, 7:00 pm

Iv'e got a lid from a leach piece , it's unmarked but too big and wrong design for your pot unfortunately .

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 12653
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on March 23rd 2014, 7:10 pm

D'oh!
Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 15797
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed on March 23rd 2014, 7:21 pm

see what I mean .

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 12653
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by yunomi on December 11th 2014, 11:41 pm

David Leach 11"High x 5 1/2"Wide With potters Mark.
yunomi

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 on December 12th 2014, 7:49 am

That's a beauty Happy
climberg64

Number of posts : 1324
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by slopingsteve on January 24th 2015, 11:53 am

Cider is a funny old thing. A pub near not very near me sells a cider called Pickled Pig. It is made with apples and nature and is simply the best I have tasted in 45 years, so when I have the chance, or a good excuse, I repair unto the tavern and bask in all its scrumpytiousness.
While glowing with inner contentment the other day I happened to glance at a selection of pots and jugs lined up on one of the windowsills in the pub and tighten my nuts and call me Gerald if one of them didn't catch my eye and wink at me.
"You know me!" it whispered.
"I do indeed !" I smiled quietly in response.
"I am going to get broken or nicked sitting on this windowsill, exposed to passers-by and their waving appendages or children with chips. At the moment I have no chips but I could do with a home where someone appreciates me.... IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT!"
The barman fetched up with my sandwich at the very moment the jug and I were having this conversation so I nonchalantly enquired if the jugs were for sale;he asked which one; I said that one; he said I'll find out ; I said thanks very much; he returned and said they were. BINGO.
I paid a tenner for it but, and here is the dilemma I now face, he forgot to charge me for my sandwich, having been diverted by my enquiries about the pot. So, do I never go back? Do I go back and make a clean breast of it or do I just quietly thank the fates for their generosity and cross bridges when I come to them?

slopingsteve

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2013-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandX on January 24th 2015, 12:20 pm

Are you sure you didn't pay for the sandwich, given the intake of scrumpy? ..... after all you have admitted to conducting a conversation with a pottery jug!
BrandX

Male Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on January 24th 2015, 5:07 pm

Interesting these tin glazed earthenware pieces that David Leach made for four of five years after leaving St Ives,and starting at Lowerdown,circa 1956 onwards. They are all a bit ordinary,not to say dull! Nothing as good as those he did at St Ives,and nowhere near in any shape or form,remotely near the quality of the stoneware he did later on. One wonders why. Kiln troubles? A crisis of confidence? Needing a quick financial return? Anybody know?
philpot

Number of posts : 1071
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on January 24th 2015, 5:12 pm

philpot wrote:Interesting these tin glazed earthenware pieces that David Leach made for four of five years after leaving St Ives,and starting at Lowerdown,circa 1956 onwards. They are all a bit ordinary,not to say dull! Nothing as good as those he did at St Ives,and nowhere near in any shape or form,remotely near the quality of the stoneware he did later on. One wonders why. Kiln troubles? A crisis of confidence? Needing a quick financial return? Anybody know?

If that includes my lid-less jam pot and cracked vinegar jug, then I have to disagree, as they are both finely potted, albeit untilitarian. Maybe he simply had a commission from a retailer (Heals? Habitat?) for kitchenware? Maybe that gave him the cash to set up his own pottery? Purely speculation but possible.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on January 24th 2015, 6:27 pm

Although David was never short of money, after all he did lend his dad money to keep the pottery in St. Ives going, he always thought he was.

He bought the pottery and house at Lowerdown Cross from the Ehlers, who had run it as pottery using an electric kiln, and it was very easy to go in and make work from day one without making any real changes. Apparantly he got the large Edwardian house, fully fitted studio, electric kiln and a considerable amount of land for 5000. David felt he needed to make money quickly and domestic ware was the answer as we have to remember that there were very few places that held exhibitions of one off pots back then. Making inexpensive earthenware as an alternative to what was being made in the Potteries and at a similar price was his choice, hence red earthenware with a simple glaze and perhaps minimal decoration.

It is also said that David felt that he need time to develop his own individual work, as he hadn't had any art school training.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5253
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by slopingsteve on January 24th 2015, 7:37 pm

P'raps we should have asked these questions earlier; about 10 years earlier.
slopingsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by slopingsteve on July 26th 2017, 5:10 pm

I had (note tense) a small coffee cup from the Leach pottery which I used for a number of years for my espressos a.m., but it recently became a victim of a sudden change to a lower energy level, so I have been looking for a replacement, and, lo!!!!

This is a tea cup which will fit under my DeLonghi coffee maker, so WIN WIN I reckon. It is a bit posher than the old one though so extra care will be called for while increasing MY energy levels.
slopingsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on July 26th 2017, 8:00 pm

Definitely a bit special. Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down