David Leach

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: David Leach

Post by big ed on March 23rd 2014, 7:00 pm

Iv'e got a lid from a leach piece , it's unmarked but too big and wrong design for your pot unfortunately .
big ed
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 12519
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on March 23rd 2014, 7:10 pm

D'oh!
Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 16679
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed on March 23rd 2014, 7:21 pm

see what I mean .
big ed
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 12519
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by yunomi on December 11th 2014, 11:41 pm

David Leach 11"High x 5 1/2"Wide With potters Mark.
yunomi

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 on December 12th 2014, 7:49 am

That's a beauty Happy
climberg64

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by slopingsteve on January 24th 2015, 11:53 am

Cider is a funny old thing. A pub near not very near me sells a cider called Pickled Pig. It is made with apples and nature and is simply the best I have tasted in 45 years, so when I have the chance, or a good excuse, I repair unto the tavern and bask in all its scrumpytiousness.
While glowing with inner contentment the other day I happened to glance at a selection of pots and jugs lined up on one of the windowsills in the pub and tighten my nuts and call me Gerald if one of them didn't catch my eye and wink at me.
"You know me!" it whispered.
"I do indeed !" I smiled quietly in response.
"I am going to get broken or nicked sitting on this windowsill, exposed to passers-by and their waving appendages or children with chips. At the moment I have no chips but I could do with a home where someone appreciates me.... IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT!"
The barman fetched up with my sandwich at the very moment the jug and I were having this conversation so I nonchalantly enquired if the jugs were for sale;he asked which one; I said that one; he said I'll find out ; I said thanks very much; he returned and said they were. BINGO.
I paid a tenner for it but, and here is the dilemma I now face, he forgot to charge me for my sandwich, having been diverted by my enquiries about the pot. So, do I never go back? Do I go back and make a clean breast of it or do I just quietly thank the fates for their generosity and cross bridges when I come to them?

slopingsteve

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandX on January 24th 2015, 12:20 pm

Are you sure you didn't pay for the sandwich, given the intake of scrumpy? ..... after all you have admitted to conducting a conversation with a pottery jug!
BrandX

Male Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on January 24th 2015, 5:07 pm

Interesting these tin glazed earthenware pieces that David Leach made for four of five years after leaving St Ives,and starting at Lowerdown,circa 1956 onwards. They are all a bit ordinary,not to say dull! Nothing as good as those he did at St Ives,and nowhere near in any shape or form,remotely near the quality of the stoneware he did later on. One wonders why. Kiln troubles? A crisis of confidence? Needing a quick financial return? Anybody know?
philpot

Number of posts : 1307
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on January 24th 2015, 5:12 pm

philpot wrote:Interesting these tin glazed earthenware pieces that David Leach made for four of five years after leaving St Ives,and starting at Lowerdown,circa 1956 onwards. They are all a bit ordinary,not to say dull! Nothing as good as those he did at St Ives,and nowhere near in any shape or form,remotely near the quality of the stoneware he did later on. One wonders why. Kiln troubles? A crisis of confidence? Needing a quick financial return? Anybody know?

If that includes my lid-less jam pot and cracked vinegar jug, then I have to disagree, as they are both finely potted, albeit untilitarian. Maybe he simply had a commission from a retailer (Heals? Habitat?) for kitchenware? Maybe that gave him the cash to set up his own pottery? Purely speculation but possible.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on January 24th 2015, 6:27 pm

Although David was never short of money, after all he did lend his dad money to keep the pottery in St. Ives going, he always thought he was.

He bought the pottery and house at Lowerdown Cross from the Ehlers, who had run it as pottery using an electric kiln, and it was very easy to go in and make work from day one without making any real changes. Apparantly he got the large Edwardian house, fully fitted studio, electric kiln and a considerable amount of land for 5000. David felt he needed to make money quickly and domestic ware was the answer as we have to remember that there were very few places that held exhibitions of one off pots back then. Making inexpensive earthenware as an alternative to what was being made in the Potteries and at a similar price was his choice, hence red earthenware with a simple glaze and perhaps minimal decoration.

It is also said that David felt that he need time to develop his own individual work, as he hadn't had any art school training.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5309
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by slopingsteve on January 24th 2015, 7:37 pm

P'raps we should have asked these questions earlier; about 10 years earlier.
slopingsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by slopingsteve on July 26th 2017, 5:10 pm

I had (note tense) a small coffee cup from the Leach pottery which I used for a number of years for my espressos a.m., but it recently became a victim of a sudden change to a lower energy level, so I have been looking for a replacement, and, lo!!!!

This is a tea cup which will fit under my DeLonghi coffee maker, so WIN WIN I reckon. It is a bit posher than the old one though so extra care will be called for while increasing MY energy levels.
slopingsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on July 26th 2017, 8:00 pm

Definitely a bit special. Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

David Leach jug with unglazed lightning strikes

Post by RVsaid on November 3rd 2017, 8:10 am

Howdy Pardners

Would anyone know anything about this Leach Jug. About 5.75 inches high with those distinctive lightening bolt unglazed lines. There's a small possibility that there should be a lid as although there is no defined ring to hold it there is a swell on the walls which could have been used though, to my mind that's just a fluid control aspect for pouring. Gloss glazed all the way down the inside also.

Sorry I can't seem to edit to rotate images here and coming straight off of the camera.

Cheers

RVsaid

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on January 13th 2018, 11:44 pm

Little cream jug by David Leach

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by slopingsteve on January 21st 2018, 8:13 pm

This is still the only piece of St Ives Leach Pottery that I have come across that might be by David Leach and that is possibly marked by him. Without any others for comparison it is difficult to be sure. The seller told me that he had bought it from David himself a long time ago so it may be right.
slopingsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on January 21st 2018, 8:30 pm

It's Leach St Ives standard ware which everyone at the pottery was expected to make, so it's unusual to find one with a monogram. Could be David's but not one of his recorded marks

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on January 21st 2018, 8:34 pm

Although Bernard might have discussed with David what he wanted from the Standard Ware range at the Leach Pottery, it was really David who refined it and came up the prototypes. This lidded bowl looks like a piece of Standard Ware and it would not have been the type of thing that individual potters would have marked at the pottery and so, for me, the story is plausible. I haven't seen that personal seal before so you are correct that it isn't really possible to give a definitive answer without more evidence.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by slopingsteve on January 24th 2018, 4:08 pm

Do we have any personal seal marks from David while he was at St Ives?
slopingsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on January 24th 2018, 6:10 pm

slopingsteve wrote:Do we have any personal seal marks from David while he was at St Ives?

There are some in the book but the one of this pot isn't included. However, the logic because this is a Standard Ware shape and glaze is that he is one of only a few people who would be allowed to do this.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump on February 16th 2018, 4:21 pm

Stoneware Oil bottle. Is this just a piece of standard ware?

denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 3272
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on February 16th 2018, 6:18 pm

At Lowerdown David didn't have a complete range of Standard Ware per se and he would have made the same items with both his personal seal, as seen here, and the Lowerdown Cross seal. He wasn't the only person making items with the Lowerdown Cross seal but, having spoken to him about this, he did make a considerable amount. The main reason was to give a range of prices when people visited the pottery.

As this has his personal seal, it means that you are able to say that he made it and hence the price would be higher when originally bought than if it had the Lowerdown Cross seal and obviously there would continue to be a price difference today.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump on February 16th 2018, 6:48 pm

Thanks as always SP for clearing up that "grey" area I had always wondered about.
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 3272
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on February 17th 2018, 7:42 am

Would not be at all surprised if these were made for specific market. David Canter of Cranks fame was a leading light in the CPA, and also ran the Cranks restaurant chain. The long running CPA shop in Marshall street was bang next to a Cranks restaurant.
Cranks opened a restaurant at Dartington in the early 70's, and they used a lot of studio pottery in their plates and dinner ware. Winchcombe in particular. At the same time, the Craft shop at Dartington sold a lot of studio pottery and was a specific outlet for David Leach. Indeed, he only lived a few miles away.
philpot

Number of posts : 1307
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum