NaomiM
studio-pots
Potty
andy.pauline
big ed
32 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Empty Unusual eggcup. LD mark to base - David Leach

Post by Sbro June 1st 2023, 11:09 am

Dear Forum,

Unusual and beautifully formed eggcup with mark to base that I would appreciate help in IDing if possible.

Thanks in advance.

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Cb283b10
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 C4fbdc10
Sbro
Sbro

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2022-07-10

Back to top Go down

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Empty Re: David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery

Post by NaomiM June 1st 2023, 11:51 am

By David Leach

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31503
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Empty Re: David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery

Post by Sbro June 1st 2023, 11:58 am

Many thanks Naomi.

Kindest.
Sbro
Sbro

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot June 1st 2023, 1:58 pm

Made in the late 50's or early60's, He stopped using earthenware in the early 60's.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6399
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbro June 1st 2023, 4:54 pm

Thanks Philpot for your kind reply as always. Really appreciated.

Would this then be a pre-Loughborough piece or is that a step too far?

Kindest.
Sbro
Sbro

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot June 1st 2023, 5:04 pm

He started Lowerdown near Bovey Tracey in 1956. He was never at Loughborough! This is the sort of work which he produced in the early years at Lowerdown Pottery.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbro June 1st 2023, 5:16 pm

Thanks Philpot. Appreciate your help and expertise as always.

Kindest
Sbro
Sbro

Back to top Go down

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Empty Don’t know whether this written mark for DL is suitable for your collection

Post by Neil62 June 23rd 2023, 5:23 am

Good morning Naomi,
I don’t know whether this handwritten mark for David Leach is suitable for your collection?
It can only be his work!
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Img_4021
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Img_4022
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Img_4020
Neil62
Neil62

Male Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2022-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 23rd 2023, 1:12 pm

cheers Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 24th 2023, 9:55 am

philpot wrote:He started Lowerdown  near Bovey Tracey in 1956. He was never at Loughborough! This is the sort of work which he produced in the early years at Lowerdown Pottery.

David Leach took over the Pottery department at Loughborough College of Art for one year in 1953 and continued to be a visiting lecturer there for the best part of a decade after that. I did have a pot of David's made there that had his personal seal and a LC seal for Loughborough College, which you can find on the first page of this thread.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot July 9th 2023, 9:20 am

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Img_1189

A large David Leach jar at the Barbara Hepworth gallery in Wakefield
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot July 9th 2023, 9:23 am

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Img_1190

The caption to  the above piece. 1951 is an interesting date, as one rarely sees David Leach's pieces from that era. The jug itself is very Leach style!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Empty David Leach @ Leach - seto eye decoration.

Post by Neil62 July 9th 2023, 9:43 am

Similar to ones that BL and DL created for the Dartington International Conference in 1952.
Allegedly David threw them and Bernard decorated them.

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Image510

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Image512

Last edited by studio-pots on July 9th 2023, 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : tidying thread)
Neil62
Neil62

Male Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2022-04-04

Back to top Go down

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Empty Lowerdown pottery

Post by Cat August 22nd 2023, 12:33 pm

Just a quick query. If something just has the Lowerdown mark on it, is there any way of knowing if it was done by David Leach or not? I was told by a friend of his he didn’t always sign his own things, and this has an exact design on it as something I own that I know to be his.?

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 3307cf10
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 8483b410
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 27cb9510
Cat
Cat

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2023-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams August 22nd 2023, 1:14 pm

Foxglove pattern was produced in quite large numbers at Lowerdown. I’ve seen a fair few locally in Devon. I understand he did have other potters working with him but I don’t know if he did the designs himself or not.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 2297
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 22nd 2023, 1:54 pm

He knew the added value of his personal mark on pots, but he might just have done the decoration. Tbh, there’s no way to know

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump August 22nd 2023, 3:32 pm

Decoration is very much in the style of Robert Tinnyunt.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7219
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot August 22nd 2023, 4:32 pm

The simple answer is No. Unfortunately just the L+ makes  good deal of difference in its value.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots August 23rd 2023, 12:23 am

I bought a piece once with only the L+ mark and was told by the person that I bought it from (David Leach) that he had made it and decorated it, so I knew. He went on to add that, if he had added his personal seal then he could have charged me more. Therefore I knew it to be his but it meant absolutely nothing from that point on.

The foxglove pattern must have been the most common pattern at Lowerdown and it could have been done by any of probably a dozen people. I remember Simon Leach, the youngest son, telling me that when visiting from Spain, he spent most of his spare time painting foxgloves on various pieces of standard ware.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat August 23rd 2023, 9:26 am

Thanks everyone, I find all this really interesting at least! I think David is actually my favourite Leach personally. I don’t really understand what his personal pieces are worth (ones with his mark) as they seem to be offered at anything from £40 for a pot to £700!!!
Cat
Cat

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2023-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots August 23rd 2023, 12:36 pm

Cat wrote:Thanks everyone, I find all this really interesting at least! I think David is actually my favourite Leach personally. I don’t really understand what his personal pieces are worth (ones with his mark) as they seem to be offered at anything from £40 for a pot to £700!!!

With all potters and ceramic artists prices that things are offered for can vary widely. This can be due to the size of the piece; its quality when compared to a piece by the same artist of the same size but, perhaps often, what some chancer is prepared to ask for it!

David was active for many years and made many pieces with his individual mark. My advice to you and anyone else is that if you see something you fancy it is always worth shopping around to see if you can buy a similar piece of similar or better quality elsewhere. There have been recent discussion about this on this Forum and I believe that the general consensus is that currently if you see something offered on eBay for £X you are more than likely going to find it for sale elsewhere for less and in some cases considerably less.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 Empty David Leach

Post by halliz August 26th 2023, 4:10 pm

Whilst I am not an expert, the mark seems clearly to be David but I have not seen a small vase (6.5cm high) with these cut hesagonal sides by him before. Is it?
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 20230819
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 20230818
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 20230817
lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 20230816
halliz
halliz

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2022-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 26th 2023, 4:12 pm

Yes Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by halliz August 26th 2023, 4:17 pm

Great thanks - picked it up for £1 in a charity shop today! lowerdown - David Leach, Lowerdown Pottery - Page 8 1f60a
halliz
halliz

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2022-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot August 26th 2023, 5:39 pm

Lucky you, It is a piece from his earthenware range that he started making at Lowerdown after he left The Leach pottery in the mid 1950's. He mostly stopped this in the early 60's. It is Not as popular as his stoneware work unfortunately.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum