Bowl with floral design - LM mark - probably Leda May, Ireland

4 posters

Go down

Bowl with floral design - LM mark - probably Leda May, Ireland Empty Bowl with floral design - LM mark - probably Leda May, Ireland

Post by PhilosophiaSB Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:48 pm

I think i have a Michael Leach bowl. This is one of the few items i have already labeled, after a lucky database research.
View the pattern and the marking, i hope i'm not wrong. Bowl with floral design - LM mark - probably Leda May, Ireland Img_2025
Bowl with floral design - LM mark - probably Leda May, Ireland Img_2026
Bowl with floral design - LM mark - probably Leda May, Ireland Img_2027
PhilosophiaSB
PhilosophiaSB

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2022-07-15

Back to top Go down

Bowl with floral design - LM mark - probably Leda May, Ireland Empty Re: Bowl with floral design - LM mark - probably Leda May, Ireland

Post by philpot Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:22 pm

I don't think so. There is never normally a dot in his mark and the M and the L are a bit too thick, He was very sparse with the use of his own personal mark, nd it is actually quite rare. It also invariably comes with a Y of his Yelland mark.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6427
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Bowl with floral design - LM mark - probably Leda May, Ireland Empty Re: Bowl with floral design - LM mark - probably Leda May, Ireland

Post by PhilosophiaSB Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:28 pm

I think i read that in his early working period his marking was without that Y. And there isn't a dot on the stamp though.
Who do you think it might be the author ?
PhilosophiaSB
PhilosophiaSB

Back to top Go down

Bowl with floral design - LM mark - probably Leda May, Ireland Empty Leda May Ireland, maybe

Post by NaomiM Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:06 pm

It might be by Michael Leach. There's also Leda May, Ireland, with a similar LM stamp

Last edited by NaomiM on Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31535
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilosophiaSB Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:13 pm

Thanks, Naomi, in fact i had in sight Leda May but i also judged the bowl by his complete design and pattern so i decided on Michael Leach work.
I'll keep making some research i think.
PhilosophiaSB
PhilosophiaSB

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:51 pm

It is not like anything that Michael Leach ever produced. Most of Michael's work was in earthenware and I have never seen his personal seal on anything without the Y (Yelland) seal.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:54 pm

studio-pots wrote:It is not like anything that Michael Leach ever produced. Most of Michael's work was in earthenware and I have never seen his personal seal on anything without the Y (Yelland) seal.

Earthenware? A lot of the pots on the Yelland thread look like stoneware -

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t7505-michael-leach-yelland-pottery#100939

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31535
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:58 pm

I did say "most" and perhaps ought to have written "much" but I was really replying to this comment "I think I read that in his early working period his marking was without that Y".

His early working period (post St. Ives) was earthenware.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilosophiaSB Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:04 pm

He had an early Cornwall period of work when he did not signed with that Y , obviously. That doesn't mean that my piece is necessary a Michael Leach item .
PhilosophiaSB
PhilosophiaSB

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:40 pm

PhilosophiaSB wrote:He had an early Cornwall period of work when he did not signed with that Y , obviously. That doesn't mean that my piece is necessary a Michael Leach item .

When in Cornwall he taught and worked part-time at the Leach Pottery. I haven't seen anything with his mark on but, if it exists, it would have the Leach Pottery seal too

Before that he was at Bullers in the Potteries and working in East Africa making functional wares and briefly at Wrecclesham in Surrey. I haven't seen any of the latter. However, your bowl looks too recent to be any of these.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilosophiaSB Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:48 pm

Right, i understand it is not Michael Leach but do you have a thought about the potter ? I would appreciate any clue.
PhilosophiaSB
PhilosophiaSB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum