Unusual 2 handled tenmoku glazed bowl cannot find the potter, SP mark

3 posters

Go down

Unusual 2 handled tenmoku glazed bowl cannot find the potter, SP mark Empty Unusual 2 handled tenmoku glazed bowl cannot find the potter, SP mark

Post by hadfield Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:24 pm

Hi I wonder if anyone recognises this potter..nice quality bowl..Think its "SP" markUnusual 2 handled tenmoku glazed bowl cannot find the potter, SP mark Two_ha11
Unusual 2 handled tenmoku glazed bowl cannot find the potter, SP mark Two_ha12
Unusual 2 handled tenmoku glazed bowl cannot find the potter, SP mark Two_ha10
hadfield
hadfield

Male Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2020-06-19

Back to top Go down

Unusual 2 handled tenmoku glazed bowl cannot find the potter, SP mark Empty Re: Unusual 2 handled tenmoku glazed bowl cannot find the potter, SP mark

Post by philpot Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:26 pm

With that Cross Bar and the curved top and bottom of the S it looks like a Standard Leach St Ives pottery mark. Unusual to have it in a lozenge like that though, and the handles are unusual for the St Ives.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6393
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Unusual 2 handled tenmoku glazed bowl cannot find the potter, SP mark Empty Re: Unusual 2 handled tenmoku glazed bowl cannot find the potter, SP mark

Post by NaomiM Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:09 pm

Last edited by NaomiM on Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31474
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by hadfield Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:44 pm

Thanks for your comments. Strange its such a mystery. Its a decent quality pot and obviously a few pieces have been around. Bought back in the day by my father the same collection as the recent Derek David piece so generally he bought good pieces he liked. Makes me think this could be a good potter but who??
hadfield
hadfield

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:13 pm

Possibly dating from the 70s, then? A lot of good potters went unrecorded between the 1st and 2nd editions of the Marks book

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by hadfield Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:56 am

My parents were magpies when it came to collecting things. Studio pottery was just one arm of their collection. They were actively buying things all their lives and i should think they were very active during the 1970s hence so many pieces i cannot trace. Real shame there is so much excellent pottery out there we cannot find the potter of. They deserve the accolades for their work.
Thanks again for your efforts to help me with this i appreciate it.
hadfield
hadfield

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:02 pm

I love mysteries like this. I’m actively researching 60s-70s  pottery Marks so it’ll be IDed eventually Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by hadfield Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:36 pm

Naomi you are a superstar and your enthusiasm is infectious. If you need any more photos or info i can help with please just ask.
hadfield
hadfield

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:43 pm

Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum