MAJOLICA MATCH HOLDER, STRIKER AND COVER

3 posters

Go down

MAJOLICA MATCH HOLDER, STRIKER AND COVER Empty MAJOLICA MATCH HOLDER, STRIKER AND COVER

Post by CharlieC Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:05 am

Not sure if this is creamware? Majolica glaze... Mottled green, brown, pale blue. A two piece match holder, striker and cover. English 19th Century? Seen this type of thing but not many with cover. Anyone seen the likes before and know of maker/age? H: 92 mm. No makers marks. Thanks.

MAJOLICA MATCH HOLDER, STRIKER AND COVER Img_6910
MAJOLICA MATCH HOLDER, STRIKER AND COVER Img_6912
MAJOLICA MATCH HOLDER, STRIKER AND COVER Img_6911
CharlieC
CharlieC

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2016-05-05

Back to top Go down

MAJOLICA MATCH HOLDER, STRIKER AND COVER Empty Re: MAJOLICA MATCH HOLDER, STRIKER AND COVER

Post by NaomiM Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:23 am

Very nice Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-16

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

MAJOLICA MATCH HOLDER, STRIKER AND COVER Empty Re: MAJOLICA MATCH HOLDER, STRIKER AND COVER

Post by CharlieC Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:36 am

Yes, it's a smart little fella. When I bought it, the seller said it was a honey pot, threw me off the scent a while, but didn't make sense, but didn't see what it could be. I've trawled the net with infinite search words and can't find it. Thought it might be Dunmore, but don't think it is. Cheers!
CharlieC
CharlieC

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:56 pm

Is this the one from a recent post that I suggested might be a string holder?
https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t26772-mottled-ribbed-lidded-pot-match-striker-or-preserve-pot

If, as it appears in the new photos, the hole in the lid goes right through rather than being a deep dimple then I still think that string holder is likely, especially as there seems to be no sharp ribbing anywhere on which to strike matches.

I do like it very much, the glaze is delightful, reminds me somewhat of Whieldon.

Last edited by Grumpy Grandad on Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add to comment.)
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by CharlieC Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:25 pm

Sorry, I didn't see your replies when I posted this a while ago, as I lost track of my item... The hole appears to go all the way through but it actually doesn't. I've tried a needle through it and it is blocked. Maybe some sort of air hole for firing? It was suggested it might be a match striker in the earlier post, but I didn't see that either. I found this one (new pic). I do agree though, the striker on the holder (on base), does appear to be a bit blunt. Could this just be a slight fault in manufacture and merely a ribbed decoration as on the cover?? The plot thickens! ThanksMAJOLICA MATCH HOLDER, STRIKER AND COVER Match_10
CharlieC
CharlieC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum