Oldmagpie
dantheman
lmcd1986
skay
l33ham180
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wedgwood - Jasperware designs. - Page 2 Empty Re: Wedgwood - Jasperware designs.

Post by brissle April 13th 2017, 1:54 pm

Thank you.
That's given me a good start.
I've sent an email to Lucy Lead.
I appreciate your help.
brissle
brissle

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-04-13

Back to top Go down

Wedgwood - Jasperware designs. - Page 2 Empty Re: Wedgwood - Jasperware designs.

Post by Potty April 13th 2017, 5:34 pm

I'd have thought an older piece that has had the lid lost/broken and the metalwork added at a later date.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by gareth-h April 13th 2017, 10:04 pm

The EPNS mark is for J.B. CHATTERLEY & SONS LTD of Birmingham sometime after 1880.
gareth-h
gareth-h

Male Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-03-27

http://www.pooleroom.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by brissle April 13th 2017, 11:15 pm

Thanks for that information.
I'll report back when I hear from the lady at the Wedgwood Museum......
Unless, of course, anyone else on here can provide more information.
My wife is pretty chuffed to discover that the barrel is at least 120 years old.
Happy Easter everyone.
brissle
brissle

Back to top Go down

Post by Johners2000 April 14th 2017, 11:27 am

The tricolour design and colours are not that common, unlike the more typical cobalt blue.

It is of course Jasper ware and probably bas- relief ware as opposed to 'true' Jasper.

Bas- relief was used for items such as tea wares, biscuit barrels, garden pots etc. whereas true Jasper was used for more decorative pieces such as vases and candlesticks - although there is some crossover. (i was told this by Lucy at the Wedgwood Museum)

The decoration is known as Etruscan - this reflected the Victorian public fascination with the wonders of ancient Rome and Greece being unearthed at that time.

Your pattern is often referred to as 'Maidens in the Garden' or words to that effect.

I think the lid is original but the date could be earlier than the 1890s but not by much - as Gareth-h says the lid is after 1880.

The best way of accurately dating Wedgwood is to hold it and look at the general style of the piece - you can't always rely on the 'published' dating systems.

In terms of value I have been told that the price of mid/late Victorian Wedgwood biscuit barrels has fallen in recent years, but being in the less common colours and shape it could push the value up - provided there are no chips or damage to the bas-relief.
Johners2000
Johners2000

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2017-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by brissle April 14th 2017, 11:50 am

Thank you Johners2000, that's very interesting.
Our interest in the value is to do with how we dispose of the item eventually when we have to downsize - hopefully some years away, yet. But if the piece has some decent value and bearing in mind the sentimental attachment for my wife, we were wondering whether to pass it on to one of our children. Maybe that's just wishful thinking that they would have the same feelings for it as we do....... it's not been part of their lives.
brissle
brissle

Back to top Go down

Post by Johners2000 April 14th 2017, 12:09 pm

If you want to get a basic valuation (so you at least know) then try a decent auction house - they will give you a free estimate.

http://www.bamfords-auctions.co.uk - is quite a good one.

But bear in mind this is an auction estimate and so the sale price and therefore true value could be higher or lower - but at least it's a guide.
Johners2000
Johners2000

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2017-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by brissle April 14th 2017, 1:27 pm

OK thanks Johners - good idea.
I reckon I'll wait until I hear from Lucy and then submit some photos to Bamfords.

I'm really grateful for all the advice and help being given by everyone.
brissle
brissle

Back to top Go down

Wedgwood - Jasperware designs. - Page 2 Empty Wedgwood jasperware

Post by Mr Grinch December 8th 2017, 10:52 am

H all,

I was looking for some blue pottery to compliment my new kitchen and sideboard.

The search took me to Jasperware and ive been hooked every since.

I bought a pair of posy vases but was stuck on the age of them. They look modern as after studying date stamps online, it doesnt match anything pre 1980.  Any pointers will be gratefully received.

Wedgwood - Jasperware designs. - Page 2 Thumbn12
Wedgwood - Jasperware designs. - Page 2 Thumbn10
Wedgwood - Jasperware designs. - Page 2 Thumbn11

James
Mr Grinch
Mr Grinch

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2017-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grinch December 18th 2017, 7:06 pm

No replies which is a disappointing. I take it these are probably very modern around the 90's or 21st century.

I picked up a couple more small vases the other day.This time Cobalt Blue Jasperware. Everything checks out but stuck on the dating.

Both have the usual Wedgwood motif with Made in England.

One has the letter "U" than and what looks like a little speech mark. The other has no letters that i can see and no numbers. Still has speech mark though and what looks like a smile shape but nothing else. Both are the same design although the one that is not marked feels slightly lighter and the rim to the vase slightly thinner.

I was hoping my dating of 1928 for the first vase is right but stuck on the other. Is it normal to have no marks at all ?
Mr Grinch
Mr Grinch

Back to top Go down

Post by Essenjay December 18th 2017, 8:07 pm

Wedgwood, in my experience, is pretty difficult to date with absolute accuracy. Your two vases look pretty modern IMO. A lot of Wedgwood post-war Jasperware seems to have an impressed two digit number on the underside which seems to refer to the last two numbers of the year - 65 for 1965, for example - but I'm not sure that they were consistently applied to all pieces. Googling 'Wedgwood date marks', or something similar, will provide a number of websites that may assist with identification.
Essenjay
Essenjay

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grinch December 18th 2017, 8:45 pm

I appreciate your reply.

Marks for the year ie 63 for 1963 was mostly started after 1960. I have seen a few 50,s but not often. I know I’m new to it all but I’ve been reading a lot over past 6 months and I find it fascinating.
These defo look older. The stamps are not the sans sarif marks that started after 1930 ish. They are the old style.

The usual letter for month, porters mark then year mark are not present in one but a U and T are on the other. Both would indicate manufacturing after 1908.
I thought the differences between each piece would irritate me but I’m lonving the fact that each piece is slightly different. Even modern items. I have two vases made in 1973 but with different makers marks and both are just that slightly different.
Mr Grinch
Mr Grinch

Back to top Go down

Post by user9318 December 19th 2017, 8:34 am

They are certainly not from the 1930's Wedgwood jasperware, if that early, the marks would have been separated, i.e. 'Wedgwood' and 'Made in England' would not have been clumped together, as yours are.

When they are all in one like that, they are post 1970, yours are more likely to be from the 1980's
user9318
user9318

Female Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grinch December 19th 2017, 9:20 am

Hi,
No they are not clumped together at all.

“Wedgwood” is at one side and “Made in England” the other. I’m not talking about he ones in the picture as I think that these are most definatly around the 80,s. On the cobalt blue vases there is also no (r) mark for the treademark which came in Mid 70’s.
The only other mark on one is V and a smaller T and a ‘, type mark. On the other no letters I can see apart from the ‘, thing and another that I can’t make out. No numbers though on either.

I’ve seen a lot of the post 60’s jasperware stuff and these do not look like them.
The new script for the Wedgwood mark came in around 1930, the vase with the letters has the old script whilst the other with no letters has the new but both should have numbers on them but they don’t.

Mr Grinch
Mr Grinch

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump December 19th 2017, 12:53 pm

Are we talking about compltely different vases to the ones shown then?
We will need pix for further discussion.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grinch December 19th 2017, 1:08 pm

Yes we are. On the second post it says that.
It’s not easy to post photos on this site but will have a go.
Mr Grinch
Mr Grinch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grinch December 19th 2017, 1:25 pm

Right here are the two vases

Wedgwood - Jasperware designs. - Page 2 310
Wedgwood - Jasperware designs. - Page 2 410
Wedgwood - Jasperware designs. - Page 2 510
Wedgwood - Jasperware designs. - Page 2 610

First one. No letters or numbers. Just a speech mark type thing and smily type of mouth thing. Second one, speech mark type thing and a U letter. No numbers.

Mr Grinch
Mr Grinch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grinch December 19th 2017, 1:29 pm

The pair above follows on from this one i bought a few weeks ago. They look similer colour and texture. This has Wedgwood and England on the base with a large A and a smaller T. Im hoping this will be a 1898 or 1891 date.

Wedgwood - Jasperware designs. - Page 2 110
Wedgwood - Jasperware designs. - Page 2 210
Mr Grinch
Mr Grinch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grinch December 19th 2017, 1:30 pm

Just quickly looking on the photo of the first vase of the pair, that could be a G  at the top? So 1930 and other 1918 ?
Mr Grinch
Mr Grinch

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump December 19th 2017, 3:49 pm

These are "Blue-Dip", not the same as jasper ware, usually pre-war.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grinch December 19th 2017, 3:53 pm

Hi yes I knew they were dipped but they seem to be called jasperware on nearly everything although I appreciate the real jasper is not dipped at all. These don’t feel as “rough” either. Amazing details on the classical figures.

Should all of these be marked with a date stamp or is it very much hit and miss ?
Mr Grinch
Mr Grinch

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump December 19th 2017, 11:20 pm

Blue dip I have had usually has 2 numbers, small and often hard to see,
eg 25, for 1925.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grinch December 19th 2017, 11:33 pm

I think year numbers started post 1930.
These have none only the letters.
Mr Grinch
Mr Grinch

Back to top Go down

Post by user9318 December 20th 2017, 7:12 am

Mr Grinch wrote:Yes we are. On the second post it says that.
It’s not easy to post photos on this site but will have a go.

My comments were for the items pictured, without photos of the marks, I would not like to hazard a guess at dating them.
user9318
user9318

Female Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grinch December 20th 2017, 9:35 am

Hi there are photos on now 👍🏻
Mr Grinch
Mr Grinch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum