Richard Batterham

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Richard Batterham - Page 2 Empty Re: Richard Batterham

Post by studio-pots on July 19th 2013, 5:06 pm

dantheman wrote:did Richard mark his pots?

His pots sometimes have incised marks (denoting an experimental clay body) or an ink mark (denoting a glaze recipe) but if you come across a pot that looks like Richard's with a RB mark then it is most likely a "Batterham" but by his son ,Reuben.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5989
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on November 11th 2015, 6:21 pm

studio-pots wrote:He's fairly new to salt glazing and isn't always happy with the results but some do turn out rather well. His son, Reuben, taught him.

After exchanging emails with Reuben today, he gave me more background to this. However, I ought to make it clear that my original statement was based on what Richard had told me during conversations I had with him.

It appears that Richard first tried salt-glazing with John Maltby around 1976/7 in John's kiln in Devon and then built his own kiln with the help of Thiébaut Chagué at his own pottery in 1978.

I knew from my conversations with Richard that he had had a salt kiln for a long time but he told me that he wasn't happy with the results so did no salt glazing for years.

It appears that the first time I ever saw any salt-glazed pots at Richard's was in 2003 and it was then that he said something along the lines of Reuben having helped him with some salt firing and shown him how it should be done.

Reuben's take is that they worked out a few things together, ending with "I didn't teach the master anything".

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on December 22nd 2018, 9:58 pm

,Richard Batterham - Page 2 Img_2710

Cut sided 10 inch vase.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 3216
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on January 12th 2020, 2:14 pm

In recent years I have noticed an interest in Richard's work from younger collectors, who are recent converts to studio pottery. Therefore it is especially sad that he has had to stop potting due to health reasons.

Looking through this thread I didn't notice any examples of his work in porcelain, which is rare, but as I have just sold an example, I thought I would add the images below: -

Richard Batterham - Page 2 Rb_pa15

Richard Batterham - Page 2 Rb_pe12

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on May 27th 2020, 11:37 am

A 2 pint salt glazed jug from some years ago.

Richard Batterham - Page 2 Batt_211

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on May 27th 2020, 7:07 pm

I think that collecting Richard Batterham is a very good place to start. His smaller work is fairly cheap for the exceptional quality that he produces. Moreover even the very large pieces are fetching nothing like the stratospheric prices that others are now getting. Equally, I think their attraction will last a lot longer than some other of the later Leach style potters. They are so quintessentially beautiful. Just stripped back to the very core that makes superb study pottery.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on May 27th 2020, 8:17 pm

There are a couple of fascinating 30 minute videos on You Tube of Richard Batterham making and firing. Well worth seeking out.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. on May 27th 2020, 8:38 pm

Here is one

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 3332
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on May 29th 2020, 7:48 pm

philpot wrote:I think that collecting Richard Batterham is a very good place to start. His smaller work is fairly cheap for the exceptional quality that he produces. Moreover even the very large pieces are fetching nothing like the stratospheric  prices that others are now getting. Equally, I think their attraction will last a lot longer than some other of the later Leach style potters. They are so quintessentially beautiful. Just stripped back to the very core that makes superb study pottery.

Over recent years I have had younger people (30 - 40) becoming interested in his work so it is sad for him that he has had to stop potting when new customers were appearing.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: