tenpot
dantheman
Calusa
28 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 3 Empty Re: Raul Coronel

Post by suvonoge July 11th 2011, 3:57 pm

I didn't know that Coronel's work was somewhat obscure. I had a ceramics teacher in my arts magnet program in high school who shared an admiration for him with his students and I guess I just assumed it was a well known name.
suvonoge
suvonoge

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa July 12th 2011, 2:18 am

It's not that Coronel's work is obscure per se, as virtually all dealers of modernism and the modernist auction houses are well aware of him as are collectors of the genre. The issue is primarily that until recently there has been very little information available about him; that coupled with the fact that he stopped producing ceramics and virtually dropped out of sight in 1987 and then moved to Mexico for several years resulted in the apparent vanishing of an artist who had been a driving force in the Southern California design community. When he returned to California from Mexico no one knew where he was or if he was still alive. I became aware of his whereabouts through a bit of sheer luck a few years ago, and as we became better acquainted, I was amazed by the scope of his career and the stories he told of some of the great potters of the period as well as the extensive photo archives he had kept. I felt it was imperative to get this information out in the world and to that end I began this post last year (both he and I are very grateful to the 20th Century Forum for this opportunity). The material shared here has become a wide ranging resource with some of the information being used on other websites that promote the mid-twentieth century Modernist aesthetic. As mentioned, his work will now be featured in at least two important exhibitions this year, so I am confident that the next few years will see a dissipation of that perceived "obscurity", and I have a feeling we will see a lot more of his work surfacing.
Calusa
Calusa

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 3 Empty My first Coronel pot

Post by Calusa August 10th 2011, 8:22 pm

Here's an odd coincidence; the picture below is of the very first pot I found made by Raul Coronel. I found it in a second hand store about 5 years ago. It is signed "raul '81". At the time I had no idea who "raul" was. About a year later, I sold it to a pottery dealer for a tidy profit. He later told me he had sold it to someone else. A few days ago a friend sent me this picture--the pot has turned up in the inventory of yet another local dealer. Small world in the pottery biz.
Raul Coronel - Page 3 Raul_110
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 3 Empty Several Coronel pieces I acquired in 1967-1968 and thereafter

Post by Reed September 3rd 2011, 10:23 pm

I was very fortunate to acquire three beautiful Raul Coronel pieces in 1967 or 1968 when I was 17. I thought that by posting these photos Mr. Coronel might enjoy being reminded of his work on these great artistic creations and that others who love and appreciate his work might also enjoy seeing these. The first is a wonderful vase (11.5 " by 4.5") with a "yin/yang" kind of reverse art with a dark and a light side and which is quite intricate in its architectural design. It is signed "Raul" 67. These three photos are taken from three different angles since the piece clearly has intentionally different and "opposite"sides. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6109637295/http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6109628081/http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6110186990/

The second is a wonderful gray and white vase (13" by 6") which I call "The Nun" and which is signed Raul 67. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6110304250/in/photostream

The third is an orange sunburst ashtray signed "coronel". http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6109771291/in/photostream

I have an additional two piece ashtray and cigarette holder set acquired recently at an estate sale. These pieces are also signed "coronel".http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6110332114/in/photostream

I have one additional piece which is unsigned vase (14" by 5")and which I believe is a Coronel piece but, because it is unsigned, I am not certain. If anyone has any information on this last piece or regarding any of the other pieces depicted, I would be grateful to receive such information. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6110373538/in/photostream
If anyone can explain to me how I can get the photos to be shown within the message rather than requiring the reader to go to the flickr site, please advise. Thank you
Reed
Reed

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Reed September 3rd 2011, 11:31 pm

It appears that my links are a little screwy. The first three combined into one link which directs you to my flickr account. If you click on the first link you will get to the flickr account. If you click on any photo you will see all of the Coronel photos which I uploaded to flickr.
Reed
Reed

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 3 Empty Raul Coronel Vase 1967 signed "Raul"

Post by Reed September 4th 2011, 5:03 am

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6109628081/in/photostream
Reed
Reed

Back to top Go down

Post by Reed September 4th 2011, 5:20 am

Reverse of Raul Coronel Vase 1967
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6109637295/in/photostream
Reed
Reed

Back to top Go down

Post by Reed September 4th 2011, 5:21 am

Side view of Raul Coronel Vase 1967

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rflocks/6110186990/in/photostream
Reed
Reed

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Primate September 4th 2011, 9:40 am

Lovely collection you've got there Reed Most Excellent
Potty Primate
Potty Primate

Male Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa September 4th 2011, 5:32 pm

Hey Reed, those are some pretty fabulous pieces you have. I'm envious! I emailed Raul to take a look at them. I'm sure he will enjoy seeing them again and hopefully he can identify the unmarked piece. I'll post his response when I hear back from him.

Also, I see that you live in Santa Cruz, so I thought I'd mention Kinzie Stoneware in Aptos--as noted previously in this post, Bob Kinzie used to work with Raul in the 60's (primarily throwing large forms that were used as lamps). He is one of the best throwers I have ever seen and it is well worth taking the time to visit his studio. He and his wife Sandy both produce beautiful work. My wife and I made a trip up there from LA a few weeks ago and were blown away by the work--we came back with 4 large pieces.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa September 4th 2011, 6:55 pm

I just spoke to Raul about these pieces, and firstly, the unmarked vase was indeed made by him. Aside from the 2 piece smoking set, they are all unique and were not repeated designs. The sunburst ashtray (which is very cool!) was made by Raul and is one of a kind (even though it was atypically signed "coronel" rather than "raul"). The items were produced at the Melrose Avenue location in West Hollywood. One question though; is the white portion of "the nun" a lid or a spout?
I must applaud your aesthetic appreciation at the age of 17--I too was 17 in 1967 and all I was interested in were girls, surfing, and cars (in that order). A piece of pottery at that time would have meant no more to me than a hole in the ground.
Congratulations on these really great pieces! Please try to get the pictures posted here, as they would contribute nicely to the look of the post.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by Reed September 4th 2011, 10:25 pm

Thank you for the reply. I am happy to hear that Raul has had a chance to see these. The "nun" vase has a hole on the top and is not a removable lid. I am excited to hear that the unsigned vase was also created by Raul. My wife and I will definitely visit Mr. Kinzie's studio. Thank you so much for this great forum. I will try to get the photos posted on the forum. Reed
Reed
Reed

Back to top Go down

Post by Reed September 4th 2011, 10:57 pm

Raul Coronel - Page 3 Img_3512
Reed
Reed

Back to top Go down

Post by Reed September 4th 2011, 11:03 pm

Raul Coronel - Page 3 Img_3515
Reed
Reed

Back to top Go down

Post by Reed September 4th 2011, 11:04 pm

Raul Coronel - Page 3 Img_3516
Reed
Reed

Back to top Go down

Post by Reed September 4th 2011, 11:06 pm

Raul Coronel - Page 3 Img_3517
Reed
Reed

Back to top Go down

Post by Reed September 4th 2011, 11:07 pm

Raul Coronel - Page 3 Img_3518
Reed
Reed

Back to top Go down

Post by Throughly Modern Billy September 6th 2011, 1:52 am

Hello All,
What a pleasure it is to find this forum based on the work of Raul! I have a piece that was handed down to me. I would love to have more information on this piece. It has three ceramic birds on a burlap type material with silk screened trees in the background. I remember as a child seeing that piece "signed" with a small ceramic tile in the lower left hand side. That piece is now gone.
Please see the second picture.. you might see where it was attached. Do you think its value is diminished with the signature missing and if that piece can be replaced.

Raul Coronel - Page 3 Img_7914

Raul Coronel - Page 3 Img_7915
Throughly Modern Billy
Throughly Modern Billy

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Primate September 6th 2011, 11:04 am

Hello TMB: that's an interesting piece you've got there.
The missing tile will, of course, reduce the commercial value.* A signature is always preferable to an attribution no matter what provenance can be supplied; 'top-end' collectors are, on the whole, a pretty suspicious crowd
As to whether the signature piece can be replaced, obviously not with the original one gone. It would be possible to find another to stick on I suppose, but it wouldn't be original to the piece and may even devalue it more (imagine a Van Gogh with his signature from another painting 'cut and pasted' onto it; questions would be asked!).

* This is of course assuming that the tile you remember was actually original to the work in the first place. It's always possible that somebody simply stuck something on to show who it was by-like some people stick a label under their pots or attach a label to paintings-and the birds are signed on the reverse. Also, is there anything on the back of the hessian to help id it?
Potty Primate
Potty Primate

Back to top Go down

Post by Throughly Modern Billy September 6th 2011, 2:37 pm

The piece is original that's for sure. There is a hand written "price sticker" written in blue ink on the back in the upper left hand corner. The price $39.90! Otherwise, the descriptions that I have read here about other pieces ie; material, size etc. are the same as my piece.
Throughly Modern Billy
Throughly Modern Billy

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Primate September 6th 2011, 3:17 pm

I wasn't suggesting the work itself wasn't original, I was just wondering whether the missing tile that you recall seeing as a child was original to the piece, or a later addition for reference. However, a quick Google Images search found this: http://www.midcenturia.com/2010/11/raul-coronel-master-mid-century_16.html which shows the signature tiles that you're missing.
Potty Primate
Potty Primate

Back to top Go down

Post by Throughly Modern Billy September 6th 2011, 3:40 pm

Potty Primate wrote:I wasn't suggesting the work itself wasn't original, I was just wondering whether the missing tile that you recall seeing as a child was original to the piece, or a later addition for reference. However, a quick Google Images search found this: http://www.midcenturia.com/2010/11/raul-coronel-master-mid-century_16.html which shows the signature tiles that you're missing.
I know you didn't suggest that it was a fake.. I appreciate any and all info I can find about this piece. Thank you
Throughly Modern Billy
Throughly Modern Billy

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa September 6th 2011, 6:19 pm

Hi Billy, This piece appears to be an early version of "Guinea Hens" which is pictured in the catalog, though the picture in the catalog has ceramic "trees" as opposed to silkscreen as yours is. As far as the signature tile, they were original and not later add-ons. Can you remember if it said "coronel" or "raul"? I ask because recently the American Museum of Ceramic Art acquired a similar piece with the signature tile missing and Raul made a new one to replace it; he also gave me several others which I still have. Unfortunately, they are made from "Fimo" clay which is a plastic hobby material. They are all signed "raul". I have spoken to him about making some from stoneware like the originals and I have access to a ceramic studio and can have them fired (It's not as if this will happen overnight, but I think we will get them done eventually). If you care to leave me a private message with your contact info, I will keep you posted on supplying you with one. I am in the LA area also, so it would not be difficult getting it to you. These items seem to have been lost or removed from several of the wall pieces over the years, but when the "restoration" is done by the artist himself, the value is less likely to be adversely affected. They were attached with common white glue.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by acrawshay October 27th 2011, 4:28 pm

Hi folks,
Stumbled on this wonderfully informative thread awhile back and hope I can finally reciprocate and contribute a little with scans of Raul Coronel's Ceramics Monthly article from May 1965.
Anyone know who the 10 foot tall fountain was commissioned for and if it's still standing? Would love to see better photos of that one. And those bells - oh la la!

As a bonus I also found a photo from the letters section from Oct. of 1965 about his "heroic-size" sculpture at the Bank of Commerce in Ft. Worth (still there?).

enjoy

(click photos for full size readable scans)

Ceramics Monthly May 65 - Raul Coronel cover

Ceramics Monthly May 65 - Raul Coronel 1

Ceramics Monthly May 65 - Raul Coronel 2

Ceramics Monthly May 65 - Raul Coronel 3

Ceramics Monthly May 65 - Raul Coronel 4

Ceramics Monthly Oct 65 - Raul Coronel letters
acrawshay
acrawshay

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Back to top Go down