tenpot
dantheman
Calusa
28 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 7 Empty ANOTHER WALL PIECE

Post by Calusa June 26th 2015, 5:46 pm

A friend showed me this piece yesterday that he acquired the day before, it is titled "Birdbrain". This is an earlier version as you can tell by the silkscreen trees (likely circa 1960-65). A later version is represented in the catalog which has an attached clay tree.
I contacted a client and it was sold within an hour, which would seem to attest to the rapidly rising popularity of Coronel's work on all levels.

Raul Coronel - Page 7 Corone10
Calusa
Calusa

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 7 Empty ARCHITECTURAL ELEMENT

Post by Calusa June 29th 2015, 4:36 pm

Brent Bennett sent this photo to Raul who forwarded it to me. It shows a room divider comprised of modular cut-out tiles designed by Raul in a home in Palos Verdes, California (similar pieces are shown previously in this post in an exterior setting from one of Raul's old photos. Brent mentioned there may have also been some hanging lights--I think that may have been the three hanging lamps I posted above, as they also came from Palos Verdes.
Raul Coronel - Page 7 Corone11
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 7 Empty YOUTUBE VIDEO OF RAUL

Post by Calusa July 6th 2015, 3:32 am

Here is a link to a video of Raul doing a demonstration at the Creative Arts Center in Burbank California. This was from a few years ago and my friend Johnathan finally posted it to Youtube.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 7 Empty Re: Raul Coronel

Post by dantheman July 6th 2015, 12:46 pm

sometimes the clay wins Laughter

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa July 6th 2015, 3:03 pm

It's always a struggle, Dan.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot December 24th 2015, 12:37 pm

Calusa wrote:Here is a link to a video of Raul doing a demonstration at the Creative Arts Center in Burbank California. This was from a few years ago and my friend Johnathan finally posted it to Youtube.
been looking at a few throwing videos recently this one is good because he's talking about something completely different as hes throwing
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman December 24th 2015, 12:54 pm

is your clay still winning Paul?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot December 24th 2015, 1:42 pm

pour l'instant
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 7 Empty Stoneware Designs, Inc. vs. Stoneware Designs West

Post by Calusa April 29th 2016, 5:45 pm

I've noticed lately there seems to be some confusion regarding Raul Coronel's company Stoneware Designs, Inc. I have recently seen it misidentified as Stoneware Designs West which was a completely different company that had no connection to Raul Coronel.

Stoneware Designs West was a business started by two former Robert Maxwell employees; some of the wares produced bore a strong resemblance to Robert Maxwell Stoneware products both in clay body and glaze decoration though they bear no resemblance to the output of Stoneware Designs, Inc. or Raul Coronel.

With regard to identifying the output of Stoneware Designs, Inc., I have seen one piece, an ashtray, identified with a paper label that reads "Stoneware Designs Inc. formerly Raul Angulo Coronel" with an address on Federal Avenue in Los Angeles; the piece also has an incised "coronel" with a small "p", indicating it was made or decorated by Paul Pressburger, one of Coronel's assistants.

Coronel's catalog was produced under the banner of "Stoneware Designs, Inc." with a logo, but to my knowledge, the ware was marked with neither, other than the noted paper label which was apparently a transitional identification. "The Stoneware Designs, Inc." catalog identifies the company as a partnership between Raul Angulo Coronel and Walter E. Schneider, who is an artist/designer (but I don't believe he was a ceramicist). Brent Bennett, an apprentice to Coronel, eventually became a partner also, but I am unsure if it was with Stoneware Designs, Inc. or a later incarnation "Raul Coronel, Incorporated".
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by squirrelboy70 September 21st 2016, 8:47 am

Raul Coronel - Page 7 Corone11

I saw in a previous post an orange King bottle vase marked Treasure Craft that was designed by Mr. Coronel and wanted to know if he, or Treasure Craft for that matter, ever produce them in any other colors? And were they always marked?  In research I found a Queen bottle vase in yellow but in no other colors.
squirrelboy70
squirrelboy70

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2016-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa September 21st 2016, 4:06 pm

I know very little about Treasurecraft products. I know that Coronel did some design work for them, however, when I showed him a photo of one of these pieces, he was unaware that they were being produced by Treasurecraft, and he did not remember licensing the design to them; so I don't know if he forgot the specifics or if Treasurecraft just "appropriated" the design without his knowledge.
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by squirrelboy70 September 21st 2016, 6:30 pm

Well I'm content with knowing it was one of his designs, even if it was produced by someone other than him and under somewhat shady circumstances. I just recently became aware of Mr. Coronel's work and let's just say I'm hooked. Sadly I live in the South where it is rare to find pieces by Californian artist of that era but that won't stop me from looking. Thanks for your help and this wonderful post. Oh and if you see Mr. Coronel please tell him I said thank you as well.
squirrelboy70
squirrelboy70

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2016-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Haegernerd May 22nd 2017, 12:10 am

Just found my first Raul Coronel wall plague (Nesting bird in tree). Found it a local flea-market for very little money. I didn't know anything about the creator but thanks to your thread I've learned a lot! Thank you. I'd post a picture but haven't figured out how to post it here. :-)
Haegernerd
Haegernerd

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-05-21

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 7 Empty Raul Coronel -How To Find His Amazing Pieces From Afar?

Post by gabby67 October 1st 2020, 12:44 am

Hello!I'll start with a back story...
Raul Coronel - Page 7 41667f10
Raul Coronel - Page 7 Screen10
I was born and raised in Santa Monica (67-85). My beloved dad, Gabriel Lobato, owned a shop their call Bill Dunn Auto Top Shop on Ocean Park. Somehow I remember Raul's name over the years and wonder if they knew each other. My wonderful dad passed away on 1 August, so I can't confirm. In the mist of it all, I recently came across his some of Raul's beautiful creation's  and fell instantly in LOVE! I am Mexican, and I especially feel connected to his "people" pieces! I haven't slept in weeks combing the internet for one small enough to own. We are a military family and move every 2-3 years and the movers are brutal! With a smaller piece I can carry it with me whenever we move. First question! Do those pieces come by often? How does one find them? I am in WA state, on a military post, so I am at the mercy of the internet. I did recently purchase a unique piece from a 96 year old lady in New Jersey! I told you I was combing the internet!  She is the original owner and acquired the piece as a gift back in 1966 when she married her military guy! Such a small world! At 96 years old, how could I say no? The piece is not one for our home decor and much too big to carry on person during the move. Anyways...I am rambling! I did also come across another piece that looks like his work, again original owner (so I am told), and from the early 60's, unsigned and from Southern CA. Curious if it is his work, and if not, who else was that spectacular from the era? I'll attach a pic of the one I just purchased and the one from 1st DIBS that looks like his work. Thank you for listening me ramble on! I am such a huge fan!
Hope the pics loaded, newbie here!

Last edited by gabby67 on October 1st 2020, 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Pics loaded twice.)
gabby67
gabby67

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2020-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman October 1st 2020, 9:06 am

Hi Gabby, Do you mean Raul Coronel ?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by gabby67 October 1st 2020, 3:07 pm

Yes, that is who I am speaking about. I am new to this site, did I post it in the wrong place?
gabby67
gabby67

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 1st 2020, 11:05 pm

Lovely pieces. We have a thread on Raul Coronel. I’ll merge the post with it in due course.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by gabby67 October 1st 2020, 11:07 pm

Thank you NaomiM!
gabby67
gabby67

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 7 Empty Raul Coronel Guinea Hen and Gorgeous Flower Pot Tree

Post by gabby67 October 5th 2020, 10:12 pm

Okay! So much has happened these last few weeks. After my beloved dad passed away in my arms 8 weeks ago, I dived into art. I use to dabble here in there, but nothing like being so sad for 15 hours a day and looking at pieces through out the internet for 6 weeks. That is when I came across Raul Coronel's pieces. So much joy in them! My dad was a craftsman, Hispanic and lived in Santa Monica from the late 50's until the mid 90's, well, the connection was surreal. I was hooked at every level with Raul's masterpieces. I purchased a large Guinea Hen piece from its original owner who was 96 years old. She was an Army officer's wife who received it 1966 while stationed in Denver, CO as a wedding gift. It was what I considered mint condition...until someone who will remain nameless left my sanctuary room (aka sunroom) door open and the cats had a hey day with it, not once, but twice! I was crushed and I only owned it for less than a week. The hen is salvaged, but the burlap is not. Two weeks prior to this,  I have been speaking to a gallery/MCM star owner about a piece he was selling. I kept going back and forth because I did not want to own a large piece of art. Just like the original hen lady, my husband is a Army Officer as well and we were also married in CO. The original owner was so tickled by that! Military families generally have to move every 2-3 years and military movers are brutal! My goal is to own a smaller size people piece or maybe even an animal piece that I can carry on person with each move. Okay, as my husband always say "Gabby, bottom line upfront"! HA HA! Here goes:  Is it crazy for me to consider giving, well trading these two pieces for one smaller piece? I love the people pieces so much and well I explained the size concerns. The flower piece is currently crated and waiting for Fed Ex to deliver to me, but I figured why pay twice to ship? If I can have the gallery/MCM store send it directly to someone else (it has been paid for). What I have is a the Guinea Hen 31 3/4" W x 25" H and 1 1/2"D, "Cornel" tile is no longer there, original frame with the Venice sticker on back, one feather is missing a small piece. I now also own the flower/tree pot that measures  49" W x 31' H and 1 1/2" D, has the "Raul" stamp on it, and original frame. Please bear with me, as I am new to all of this. Thank you for any input. Okay, now I can breathe, Anyone still there? :) Raul Coronel - Page 7 Screen12
Raul Coronel - Page 7 Img_4110
gabby67
gabby67

Back to top Go down

Post by gabby67 October 5th 2020, 10:16 pm

Raul Coronel - Page 7 20200911
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20265490/9]

gabby67
gabby67

Back to top Go down

Post by gabby67 October 5th 2020, 10:20 pm

Raul Coronel - Page 7 Img_2014
Raul Coronel - Page 7 Img_2013
Raul Coronel - Page 7 Img_2015
gabby67
gabby67

Back to top Go down

Post by gabby67 October 5th 2020, 11:04 pm

Raul Coronel - Page 7 20200912
Raul Coronel - Page 7 Img_4010
gabby67
gabby67

Back to top Go down

Raul Coronel - Page 7 Empty RIP Raul Coronel

Post by Calusa September 15th 2022, 12:31 am

Raul Coronel has died. He passed away on Sunday, September 11, 2022. He was 96 years old. RIP
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman September 15th 2022, 8:52 am

He is an exceptional artistic mind and we would be unaware of his work had you not joined the forum.
Thanks Calusa

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum: