Small slipware dish, impressed 'Liz' PP Mark DL Mark Any ideas?

4 posters

Go down

Small slipware dish, impressed 'Liz' PP Mark DL Mark Any ideas? Empty Small slipware dish, impressed 'Liz' PP Mark DL Mark Any ideas?

Post by Mr Trebus August 19th 2012, 10:05 pm

Small slipware dish, impressed 'Liz' PP Mark DL Mark Any ideas? P1070510 Small slipware dish, impressed 'Liz' PP Mark DL Mark Any ideas? P1070511

A very sweet small (4" diameter) oval slipware decorated dish, with a seal like impressed 'Liz' stamp to centre and a double set of initials to base. Not sure if professional or amateur piece, appears to be of some age.
Any ideas folks? thanks for looking...
Mr Trebus
Mr Trebus

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2011-09-07

Back to top Go down

Small slipware dish, impressed 'Liz' PP Mark DL Mark Any ideas? Empty Re: Small slipware dish, impressed 'Liz' PP Mark DL Mark Any ideas?

Post by NaomiM August 19th 2012, 11:05 pm

I think it's quite old. The lettering on the back looks 'copperplate' in style; the combed/feathered two tone slip decoration is similar to 19th Century pieces. The smooth back is also indicative of a 19th Century. or earlier. piece.
I would suggest sending pictures to the Museum of London and asking their advice.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31591
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Small slipware dish, impressed 'Liz' PP Mark DL Mark Any ideas? Empty Re: Small slipware dish, impressed 'Liz' PP Mark DL Mark Any ideas?

Post by Mr Trebus August 20th 2012, 1:02 am

Thanks for the advice NaomiM, I will do that asap.
Out of interest do you know of any forums similar to this, but dealing with pre-20th Century Decorative Arts?
Mr Trebus
Mr Trebus

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 20th 2012, 9:21 am

Out of interest do you know of any forums similar to this, but dealing with pre-20th Century Decorative Arts?

No, I'm afraid not, but someone else might.

To add, it is unusual for a pre-20th Century piece of slipware to have the potters initials, which is why I suggest it's 19th Century, not earlier.
A number of potters are currently reproducing such wares, but I don't recognise this mark, but it's possible it's by a keen student who's been on one of the slipware pottery courses held round the country.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31591
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 20th 2012, 1:14 pm

Mr Trebus wrote:Thanks for the advice NaomiM, I will do that asap.

http://pottery.yobunny.com/

try this one

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15423
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed August 20th 2012, 3:29 pm

Never looked at Yobunny before , I see quite a few familiar names there , looks like some folks are destined to be on these forums till they are in their 90's Laughter
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11941
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Trebus August 22nd 2012, 6:43 pm

NaomiM wrote:I think it's quite old. The lettering on the back looks 'copperplate' in style; the combed/feathered two tone slip decoration is similar to 19th Century pieces. The smooth back is also indicative of a 19th Century. or earlier. piece.
I would suggest sending pictures to the Museum of London and asking their advice.

Museum of London unable to help :(
Mr Trebus
Mr Trebus

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 22nd 2012, 6:54 pm

big ed wrote:Never looked at Yobunny before , I see quite a few familiar names there , looks like some folks are destined to be on these forums till they are in their 90's Laughter

the founder members all met at the bunny club but we didn't like the smell of lavender

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15423
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed August 22nd 2012, 7:55 pm

Iv'e tried the big museums a few times here and abroad , they either don't know or don't answer , to be fair they wouldn't have some expert knowing about all / any of the stuff , but their records could possibly help , but gaining access is another story .

Iv'e also written to people who have written books on the subject and don't anything about what's in their books , books with facts hoovered from the net etc or other books , a little bit bit frustrating at times .
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11941
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum