Tall early 20th century (style?) pottery vase, drip glaze, signed

4 posters

Go down

Tall early 20th century (style?) pottery vase, drip glaze, signed Empty Tall early 20th century (style?) pottery vase, drip glaze, signed

Post by rocco July 15th 2012, 12:43 pm

28 cm high, heavy pottery vase, dark green glaze with black painted floral pattern, partly covered in a glossy purple/blue drip glaze.

To me it looks like Art Nouveau / Ard Deco style (but I may be wrong by several decades :-))

Base has a signature I cannot decipher (something like "Legler"?), and some strange marks "II II II...."

Pics don't do the piece justice, really difficult to photograph due to the glossy surface...

Thanks for any help!
Michael

Tall early 20th century (style?) pottery vase, drip glaze, signed Old_dr10

Tall early 20th century (style?) pottery vase, drip glaze, signed Old_dr11

Tall early 20th century (style?) pottery vase, drip glaze, signed Old_dr14

Tall early 20th century (style?) pottery vase, drip glaze, signed Old_dr13
rocco
rocco

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-11-26

Back to top Go down

Tall early 20th century (style?) pottery vase, drip glaze, signed Empty Re: Tall early 20th century (style?) pottery vase, drip glaze, signed

Post by rocco July 23rd 2012, 3:04 pm

Polite bump :)

Anyone else thinking this is probably an early 20th century piece? -- As I know next to nothing about pottery from that period I could be completely wrong...

Thanks!
Michael
rocco
rocco

Back to top Go down

Tall early 20th century (style?) pottery vase, drip glaze, signed Empty Re: Tall early 20th century (style?) pottery vase, drip glaze, signed

Post by tenpot July 23rd 2012, 4:08 pm

it does look like that to me and it could be french but it has certain crude aspects that are strange
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by rocco July 23rd 2012, 4:50 pm

Thanks a lot tenpot!

You're absolutely right about the crude aspects (though it does look better in real life than on my crappy pics)
The signature could well be a French name...

Were there smaller ("studio" type) potteries at that time already? Maybe it is sort of an "arts and crafts" potter?

Michael
rocco
rocco

Back to top Go down

Post by rocco June 16th 2013, 1:28 pm

Polite bump ;-)

Searching for something completely different, I stumbled across pieces by several French art potters from around 1900, whose pieces (and especially glazes) look quite similar to my vase.

Adrien Dalpayrat >> Link
Auguste Delaherche >> Link
Emile Decoeur >> Link
Raoul Lachenal >> Link

Could my vase have anything to do with one of those makers?

Thanks for any input,
Michael
rocco
rocco

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 16th 2013, 1:45 pm

It's possible. You'd need to find one signed on the base like yours.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31545
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 16th 2013, 8:28 pm

It does look French, as does the signature but I do not think that it is as old as you think. I would be very surprised if it was made before 1960.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 16th 2013, 9:54 pm

The signature doesn't look like any of the names on your list. Looks like Leq...y

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31545
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by rocco June 19th 2013, 5:16 pm

Thanks a lot for your thoughts, very much appreciated! :-)

As I know next to nothing about Art Nouveau / Arts and Crafts pottery, the vase may well have been made 10 or 100 years ago.
But I would be interested to learn which features point towards 1960s or later...

Thanks!
Michael
rocco
rocco

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 19th 2013, 8:25 pm

The colour of the stoneware clay that it is made from (as seen on the base) is definitely not early 20th century. The type of glaze could be but the shape of the vase is not that early.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by rocco June 20th 2013, 1:14 pm

Thanks for clarification, studio-pots!

I had thought that the shape was the main feature pointing towards earlier production.
I still have a lot to learn...

Michael
rocco
rocco

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 20th 2013, 1:38 pm

The shape isn't new and based on something earlier but for me there are signs that indicate the date I've suggested. It is something that you pick up through experience, we all have to go through the same process but these days we have the benefit of the internet. If used it will cut down on the time it needs to gain knowledge but there really isn't anything better than handling items.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by rocco June 20th 2013, 7:05 pm

Thanks again! :-)

Michael
rocco
rocco

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum