Circle with an arrow throught it? British mark

2 posters

Go down

Circle with an arrow throught it? British mark Empty Circle with an arrow throught it? British mark

Post by chonji Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:41 am

Hi everyone,

Any thoughts on this makers mark?

Its on a leaf shaped decorative shallow plate

Circle with an arrow throught it? British mark Photo0066w

heres the plate, its actually a pale blue, not white:

Circle with an arrow throught it? British mark Photo0067qx
chonji
chonji

Male Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-02-10

Back to top Go down

Circle with an arrow throught it? British mark Empty Re: Circle with an arrow throught it? British mark

Post by studio-pots Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:09 am

It looks like the mark of William Gordon, who made slip cast lamp bases, vases and dishes at the Walton Pottery Company, his pottery in Chesterfield. I haven't seen anything in this colour before but it would date from 1946 until the mid 1950s, although the date that he stopped producing such articles is not known with any certainty.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-18

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Circle with an arrow throught it? British mark Empty Re: Circle with an arrow throught it? British mark

Post by chonji Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:03 am

Brilliant thanks for the help - I was really drawinga blank researching this.
chonji
chonji

Back to top Go down

Post by chonji Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:24 am

Would you have any links o this mark or other images of it referenced to William Gordon? The plates are in a set, they are graded in colour from a pale blue through to an almost black one, each has a slight raised pattern throught the middle as the 'vein' of the leaf.
chonji
chonji

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:54 am

I have checked and the mark is in British Studio Potters' Marks but the only major reference to him is in "The Work of the Modern Potter in England" by George Wingfield Digby that was published in 1952 by John Murray. There are a number of pieces in the V&A Museum collection that were donated by Gordon and are illustrated in the book by Oliver Watson of the collection, "British Studio Pottery".

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by chonji Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Yes I saw those in the V&A website, niece stuff, I liked the birds too. The only image i saw of this mark was an inscribed one, a lot larger, i would like to find a blue stamp one as in the image here.

Thanks for the time you took to look this up, its appreciated, cheers.
chonji
chonji

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:04 pm

I have had pieces with a printed mark on in the past and have never seen an incised mark in the "flesh". The V&A pieces I would imagine would have been one off/trial items that Gordon donated, hence the mark.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by chonji Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:01 am

Can i then be 'fairly' certain that my blue printed mark is William Gordon's artist mongram you think? I would say the colouring of the set and styling fits other pieces at least, I just have not seen enough examples of the mark itself.

Would you say the incised mark is the exception rather than the rule?
chonji
chonji

Back to top Go down

Post by chonji Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:05 am

For general information here is another reference i found about him:

St Aidan’s Church, New Parks Boulevard was designed by Basil Spence & Partners and built in 1957-9. In the porch is a large (24 feet by 17 feet) contemporary stoneware mural by William Gordon depicting scenes from the life of St Aidan.[9] This was the first major tile commission obtained by Gordon, who produced studio pottery at the Walton Pottery in Chesterfield throughout the 1950s, when he also experimented with salt-glazed porcelain tiles. Following the closure of the Walton Pottery in 1956, William Gordon concentrated on tile production; amongst other architectural commissions, he designed the Carter & Co abstract tile mural (now lost) installed at Basildon Bus Station in 1958.
chonji
chonji

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:41 am

There are odd bits like the above on the internet but going back to your plates/dishes I am 95% certain that they are by William Gordon and the printed mark is what I have seen on all items. It is logical that the incised mark would have been on one-off/prototypes and I have never seen anything like the V&A pieces on the market. Although he is described as a studio potter, he was unique for his time in that his work was slip cast and made by a small workforce. These days very few people who have a degree in Ceramics can throw, so slip casting is the norm.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum