Japanese ? Vase

2 posters

Go down

Japanese ? Vase  Empty Japanese ? Vase

Post by mal February 9th 2012, 2:52 pm

I couldn't see Oriental pottery in the list but I'm still hopeful that one of you may know SOMETHING about this very large vase, such as IS it Japanese. I think it's from the 1960s - would that be correct? They were a pair but one was badly broken

The signature, which is right up inside the vase, is a single brush stroke; the broken vase had a different sign of three or four brush strokes.

[img]Japanese ? Vase  20120120[/img]

[img]Japanese ? Vase  20120121[/img]
mal
mal

Female Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2011-01-25

Back to top Go down

Japanese ? Vase  Empty Re: Japanese ? Vase

Post by chonji February 9th 2012, 7:30 pm

The characters certainly look Japanese, but i cannot say that this looks like any of the popular styles that i am aware of, I have researched oriental antiques a lot and really there is nothing much that springs to mind from a style point of view here. It seems to have some beaded work which is known as 'moriage work' as well as similar 'tubing' lines around the flower petals. 60's or mid 20th century stuff would normally have a rubber stamped or painted mark, i mean a detailed one with a few characters. The colouring doesnt really fit for me on this one either.
Sorry i could not be of more help. Try the gotheborg website for a lot of info on typical oriental wares as a starting point
chonji
chonji

Male Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-02-09

Back to top Go down

Japanese ? Vase  Empty Re: Japanese ? Vase

Post by mal February 9th 2012, 7:47 pm

Thank you Chonji.
mal
mal

Female Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2011-01-25