Is this by the Otto I think it is?

2 posters

Go down

Is this by the Otto I think it is? Empty Is this by the Otto I think it is?

Post by postmodernnut January 14th 2012, 7:16 pm

Can't find but a couple of somewhat recent marks by Otto Heino and since I picked this up for $4, I am always hopeful, did I do good?
Is this by the Otto I think it is? P1140010
Is this by the Otto I think it is? P1140011
Thank you in advance.
postmodernnut
postmodernnut

Male Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Is this by the Otto I think it is? Empty Re: Is this by the Otto I think it is?

Post by postmodernnut January 14th 2012, 7:31 pm

I have read that they signed Otto & Vivika, whoever made it. However, this may be from the 60's early 70's, knowing who we purchased it from, who loved ceramics and bought some great pieces during that time frame. Thank you on loving it, I also do, which is why we bought it, not even looking at the base, until we got home.
postmodernnut
postmodernnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa January 16th 2012, 6:38 pm

This doesn't quite match Otto Heino's signature (I have several examples). Starting about 1953, Vivika and Otto signed Vivika + Otto, she usually signed in script, while he usually printed. Smaller pieces were sometimes marked with a stamped V & O. An exception to these marks was the period from 1955-1961 when they taught at Chouinard Art Inststute; the mark used for pieces produced at Chouinard was the outline of a pot with a "C" in the center. After Vivika's death in 1996, Otto signed "OTTO" and to my knowledge, always accompanied with a 2 digit date for the year. Some of this information is available online through the Smithsonian Institutes artist "Oral Histories" program.
Calusa
Calusa

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by postmodernnut January 16th 2012, 8:04 pm

Many thanks, it was only a hope, when I saw this signature.
postmodernnut
postmodernnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa January 16th 2012, 8:47 pm

Yeah, sorry to be the one to supply the bad news, but better to know the truth than be fooled (I've been fooled many, many times). The one possibility that remains is: I know nothing about Otto's ceramic activity (or if there was any) prior to his partnership and marriage to Vivika. Their connection began in New Hampshire around 1952-53. It is remotely possible that you have an extremely early piece that predates their partnership. If this were true, you might have stumbled on something fairly important. I don't know how you might verify this or find out if their was an earlier version of Otto's signature. The few leads I can suggest are: contacting David Rago (google Ragoarts, or Sollo-Rago Modern Auctions-he's always been responsive when I have contacted him). Also, read through the Smithsonian Oral History for the Heinos:

http://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/interviews/oral-history-interview-otto-and-vivika-heino-13053

There may be some clues in the document. I know they were associated with a well known artist's guild in New Hampshire (though the name escapes me at the moment--but I'm sure it is in the Smithsonian interview somewhere). Perhaps it would be possible to contact the guild if it is still in operation, and maybe someone there could assist with the information. I would definitely do these things before giving up (or taking my word as the final word on anything). Good luck.
Calusa
Calusa

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum