Yellow vase

5 posters

Go down

Yellow vase Empty Yellow vase

Post by stillscurrying December 28th 2011, 10:44 pm

I would be very greatful for any suggestions regarding the maker of this piece. The vase has a red earthenware body and has very much a "Pop Art" feel to it. The main glaze colour is yellow and the vase has square panels of black with yellow, blue and silver with silver dots also around the body. I am trying vey hard to get the hang of uploading pictures so if it all goes toes up again please bear with me and I sincerely apologise in advance. stillscurrying

https://i.servimg.com/u/f41/17/11/74/55/no_ide67.jpg

I will try to get the two different images up! here goes.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f41/17/11/74/55/no_ide67.jpg
stillscurrying
stillscurrying

Male Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Yellow vase Empty So sorry users!

Post by stillscurrying December 28th 2011, 11:13 pm

I paid some computer guy £20 for his help trying to upload photos onto this site! didn't help... Trying hard to upload a picture of the underside of the yellow vase. I have another computer genius coming before the weekend so I still hold out hope. So sorry, stillscurrying

Image hosted by servimg.com

Yellow vase No_ide10
stillscurrying
stillscurrying

Back to top Go down

Yellow vase Empty Re: Yellow vase

Post by skay December 29th 2011, 11:39 am

Happy I've merged these three together, and yes the last picture is fine and it enlarges Excellent

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman December 29th 2011, 2:44 pm

it looks like early 1960's design

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15421

Back to top Go down

Yellow vase Empty Yellow vase

Post by stillscurrying December 29th 2011, 10:52 pm

As an update. I have been told the mark on the base of the vase is that of a potter named Heber Matthews. I have since read on the computer that Heber Matthews taught Hans Coper to throw for a while! All good info but of course I cant confirm for sure that the initials are his. The only thing that puzzles me is that the vase (as dantheman says) looks very 1960's but Mr Matthews died in 1957. The other thing is the fact that I then looked up various items thrown by this potter and I found nothing that resembled this vase in any way. That said I am very pleased that it has already become this interesting. Cheers, stillscurrying
stillscurrying
stillscurrying

Back to top Go down

Post by gareth-h December 30th 2011, 8:56 pm

Heber Matthews mark is on the front cover of the Yates-Owen Studio Potters Mark book and it does look similar to the mark on your vase. However, when I checked this out this mark always seems to be painted on, when he used an incised mark it was different.
And, as you say, this vase is nothing like his style. Yates-Owen says he worked in Stoneware and Porcelain whereas your vase looks like earthenware.
gareth-h
gareth-h

Male Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-03-27

http://www.pooleroom.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Yellow vase Empty Thanks for the info gareth-h

Post by stillscurrying December 30th 2011, 11:13 pm

I do agree with what you have said, and in particular the fact that the vase does differ so much from the Heber Matthews work which I have now seen on the internet; and as you point out most of which is stoneware. One thing however which the photos do not show is the great amount of work that has gone into the creation of this piece, it is quite exceptional. As for me until I can prove otherwise I will think of it it as a "one off" that Mr Matthews achieved just to kick start the the decade of pop art in the 60's. It is so like the signature on the front of the pottery book you mentioned (I can zoom in on the ones advertised) that it does leave food for thought. Many thanks, stillscurrying
stillscurrying
stillscurrying

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 30th 2011, 11:18 pm

The mark does look like that of Heber Matthews but this does illustrate the problems with "the book" - nothing else about the vase is anything like Heber Matthews' work.

I do not know who it is by but I don't for one second believe that is the work of Mr. Matthews either pre or post death.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Yellow vase Empty Shucks..

Post by stillscurrying December 30th 2011, 11:33 pm

Thats good enough for me. I've just put it back up in the roof. Many thanks for all your help. stillscurrying
stillscurrying
stillscurrying

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 31st 2011, 9:36 am

It doesn't deserve to go back in a box out of the way because it looks like a really interesting vase. Arguably more interesting than anything Heber Matthews made.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman December 31st 2011, 10:34 am

I agree,the vase looks to be of exceptional quality and the decoration is very stylish indeed

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15421

Back to top Go down

Post by stillscurrying January 1st 2012, 11:21 pm

My thanks to both "studio-pots" and "dantheman" for thier comments regarding my vase. I only said that I would put the vase "back in the roof" as a joke. It has till now been packed away in a box for quite a while and it is only since joining 20th Century Forum that I thought to unpack it so as to seek help with trying to establish the maker. It will however go back in a box for the simple reason that I just dont have any room to display it. I imagine like a lot of the people who use this forum, space to display much of what we have collected is a little limited, plus I'm the one detailed by the wife to dust it all. What 20th Century Forum will I hope give me, is the chance to find out perhaps much more about some of the things I still have stored in boxes up in the roof. My thanks once again, stillscurrying
stillscurrying
stillscurrying

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum