hi help please

2 posters

Go down

hi help please Empty hi help please

Post by Darren November 9th 2011, 12:15 am

hi help please Rimg0014 Hi iwas walking through a paddock in ruffy vic , a rural village when i came across this bit of pottery burried underground with just the bottom poking up i'm just wondering if anyone has any imformation for there is'nt any markings could it be from early settlement ? cheers .darren
Darren
Darren

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-11-08

Back to top Go down

hi help please Empty Re: hi help please

Post by Potty November 9th 2011, 1:00 am

Hi Darren,

It's what I'd call a salt glazed stoneware storage bottle / pot. Chances are it dates to the late Victorian period. (Around C1890 as a guess).

Sometimes these had a manufacturers mark impressed (E.g. Doulton), but many were not marked, so I doubt you will find out who made it.

Regards,

Potty.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3672
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

hi help please Empty hi potty

Post by Darren November 9th 2011, 1:09 am

hi potty thank's for that bit of imfo i was thinking it might have been that era. for settler's came to ruffy in the mid 1800's . and where i found it there is nothing but bare land in the middle of nowhere.cheers darren
Darren
Darren

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren November 9th 2011, 1:48 am

hi potty so do you think it was made in australia or made in england ?i'm as sharp as a bowling ball when it come's to pottery. cheers darren
Darren
Darren

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty November 9th 2011, 2:39 am

I don't really know to be honest, I had not even realize Ruffy was in Australia Big Laughter I assumed it was a British area I did not know of.

Without you asking the question I would have assumed it was made in Britain, so that would be my best guess.

If you search for "Blacking Bottles" you should be able to find out more about it. They were made for over 100 years, so it may be an earlier example than I first thought, they are hard to date unless you have quite good specified knowledge about them. (I don’t)

Happy

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3672
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum