Nuutajärvi tumblers?

2 posters

Go down

Nuutajärvi tumblers? Empty Nuutajärvi tumblers?

Post by subversivegrrl Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:52 pm

First post here, although I've visited off and on for a couple of years -

I recently bought a set of six glasses that I believe were designed by Saara Hopea-Untracht in the late 1950s for Nuutajärvi. They are ~7.5" tall, with a thick and heavy base - although the dark color of the glass makes it difficult to tell for sure, the bottom of the glass appears to be about .75" thick and perhaps more. I have not yet checked their volume. They are made of high quality glass, with concentric rings on the base and an indented center (I don't think they're individually mouth-blown - maybe mold blown?)

Nuutajärvi tumblers? Nuutaj10
Nuutajärvi tumblers? Nuutaj11

In trying to identify them, I have seen glasses in an almost identical shape, albeit proportionately shorter, with a very similar base, that were identified as Nuutajärvi #1710, designed by Hopea. The description of those glasses stated that they were made in two ways - with thin bottoms (of a thickness similar to the walls), and also in a version with a thick base, but I don't know what sizes might have been made beyond the shorter tumblers I've seen. I also have seen Nuutajarvi wares in this color, although the timing of the glass color and the Hopea design (in catalog 1958-1967) may not match up.

I know that Holmegard made glasses with a very similar shape, but in those I believe the base is solid glass - these are open down into the base.

Is anyone able to confirm my ID, or point me in another direction?
subversivegrrl
subversivegrrl

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-11-07

Back to top Go down

Nuutajärvi tumblers? Empty Re: Nuutajärvi tumblers?

Post by skay Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Happy Welcome grrl Nuutajärvi tumblers? 124209

Someone will know or guess soon.

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum