Studio Pottery Tea Light Holder Marked NP?

+2
Potty
climberg64
6 posters

Go down

Studio Pottery Tea Light Holder Marked NP? Empty Re: Studio Pottery Tea Light Holder Marked NP?

Post by climberg64 Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:38 pm

Nancy Pickard? Apparently she makes hand built cut slabwork. So could be her.
climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Studio Pottery Tea Light Holder Marked NP? Empty Re: Studio Pottery Tea Light Holder Marked NP?

Post by climberg64 Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Though a quick google search suggests her work is quite different, so.... Shrugs
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Nancy Pickard was the closest mark I could find, but her works (these days at least) is worlds apart from this Shrugs

Thanks for the reply :)

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3672
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Snap Happy
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:46 pm

We replied at the same time Laughter

Yeah, looks at lot different and the mark is missing the dashes, so I guess we can rule her out.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:46 pm

And again, but you always beat me to it... just Most Excellent

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:49 pm

Not that time... Laughter
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:02 am

I think it looks like N B

http://www.ceramics-aberystwyth.com/norah-braden.html

dunno if it's by Norah but her work is worth looking at anyway

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15423
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:17 am

Cheers Dan,

Having had a good look at the mark I think you are right about it being NB (looked to me like a cross between NP and NR, because the glaze was covering part of the B)

Having looked at this ebay item: 130548750433 I would say the mark is the same, the clay used also looks the same, as does the finish to the base.

So it could well be by her, assuming the pot on ebay is. . but I'm not too sure if it is?

Hopefully SP will be know Excellent

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Are you sure you want to hear what the "bringer of bad news" has to say!

Dan is right that Norah Braden's work is worth looking at but you are very unlikely to come across a piece as she never made anything after 1945 or thereabouts. Her work is very much in the Anglo-Oriental tradition.

I think that your piece could well have been made by the same person that made ebay item 130548750433 but, whoever that person is, it is not Norah Braden. Norah Braden's mark has the N and B joined i.e. the last upright of the N forms the upright of the B.

I can't help on a positive id though - sorry.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:20 pm

I still think it says NP the P probably for pottery .
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11941
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Thats fine SP Happy

I had my doubts about the ebay item and did not get my hopes up too early.

I think it is the same maker at the ebay listing, I would think a good'ish local potter who has yet to make it into Yates-Owen.

I bought it because I like it(actually looks a lot better in person) and even the wife liked it Big Shock

Thanks all for the help.

Potty.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:38 pm

As far as the Yates-Owen book is concerned though, you don't even have to be a goodish local potter to be included. The only criteria is that you saw one of the ads/ write-ups calling for potters to send in their marks and details.

If I had the nerve I could have sent in my details and I most certainly would not include any word like good when describing the pots I've made!

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:47 pm

True up to a point John , though I doubt Bernard Leach or Hans Coper answered the AD Laughter
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:06 pm

big ed wrote:True up to a point John , though I doubt Bernard Leach or Hans Coper answered the AD Laughter
Fournier & Yates-Owen started out with the Geoffrey Godden archive, which he had collected during the 1960s/70s when his publishers wanted him to produce a book about studio pottery but then backed out, plus the V&A collection and details from the Craft Potters Association lists but not much else other than the odd other potter they knew. Therfore the majority of marks and details were supplied by potters who responded to their call for entries - there was absolutely no vetting. It is always nice to know who made a pot but finding a mark in that book doesn't mean that the potter is important or even any good and it doesn't mean that all potters who are not in the book are no good.
studio-pots
studio-pots
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:18 pm

that does explain a few names that I spotted in the book,one particular potter has only sold a couple of dozen poor quality pots
(I own 2 of them) Embarrassed

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15423
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:24 pm

That's interesting , I never thought for a minute that they were all good , far from it .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:42 pm

big ed wrote:That's interesting , I never thought for a minute that they were all good , far from it .

Me neither Ed, but there are people who think that way, I know that when i'm selling people will often ask if the potter of a piece is 'in the book' and a 'yes' will more often than not result in a sale. Its a confidence thing, people like to be reassured that they are spending their money on a known potter.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:04 pm

I don't think all of the potters in the book would be considered "good", but assumed that in later additions they would try to include most of the ones who are good'ish.

Did not realize just anyone could be in it, but assume they try to source info on the better potters that would not write in/not able write in?

I think it's a great book, but a mark alone means very little.

Sorry for the confusion, I do get a bit general/vague on times.

Potty.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum