Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot

3 posters

Go down

Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot Empty Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot

Post by seandux July 17th 2011, 10:30 am

Hi everyone. This is my first post to this forum, so if I get someyhing wrong my apologies. I found this coffee pot with a number of other items with the same design in the North-West of England in a box of bric-a-brac. I've done some research and the only thing I can find about the mark - double K's pointing inwards is from the American potter Karen Karnes. However I am certain that it is not from her, as her KK mark is two K's that are a mirror image of each other.

I'm 99.99% certain this is a hand thrown piece.

It measures 9 inches tall (23 cms) - 6 inches (15 cms) across at the widest part (end of spout to end of handle) and is heavy 2lb 14 oz (1.3 kg) - also I'm 99.9% certain it's hand made. There are plenty of links to images of the coffee pot.

The other pieces with the same design (another coffee pot, a tea pot, a cream jug and 6 mugs) have slightly different marks.

The tea pot also has a double K mark but these point inwards, the mugs and cream jug have a single K, and the other coffee pot does not have any mark. Again I'm 99.9% certain these are all also hand thrown.

Any help is much appreciated. Many Thanks

Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot KK1
Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot Kk2
Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot Kkmark
Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot Kkinside2
Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot Kk3
Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot Kk4
Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot Kklid
Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot Kklid2Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot Kkbase
seandux
seandux

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot Empty Re: Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot

Post by bigbusinessmonkey July 23rd 2011, 7:19 pm

Believe this is Karen Karnes. Her mark hasn't changed much. Sometimes you will see it incised, or of a different stamp, but always the back to back "K"s.

Lid and the pulled handle look like her. Can't say I've seen many decorated works like this. Her current work has become much more abstracted.
bigbusinessmonkey
bigbusinessmonkey

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-03-13

Back to top Go down

Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot Empty Re: Help Please - Does anyone recognise the make of this stoneware coffee pot

Post by dantheman July 23rd 2011, 7:37 pm

great start bbm,I just had a look at some of her pots on the web and they are extremely similar so I would say you are correct Excellent

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15423
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman July 23rd 2011, 7:38 pm

http://collections.madmuseum.org/code/emuseum.asp?emu_action=media&id=57&mediaid=13188

this mark confirms it

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15423
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum