+5
spherehopper
dantheman
tenpot
big ed
studio-pots
9 posters

Go down

Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes Empty Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes

Post by studio-pots June 19th 2011, 10:42 am

Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes Verget10

Nicholas Vergette, who was born in Lincolnshire in 1923, was one of the group of tin glazed earthenware artists working in London during the 1950s that were given the name of “Piccassettes” by the potter, Bernard Leach, for fairly obvious reasons. He shared a studio in Bayswater with William Newland and Margaret Hine, who were the other members of the group.

Vergette had trained as a painter at Chelsea School of Art and was only active in this country for a short period, as he emigrated to the States in 1958 and remained there until his death in 1974.

The above vessel was known as a “Cactus Pot” and is around 13 inches tall.
studio-pots
studio-pots
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes Empty Re: Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes

Post by big ed June 19th 2011, 11:17 am

I thought I recognised this , there is a similar piece in the millers guide 2009, page 115, small point John , how is the first name spelt , in two books I have -Nicola ? Nicolas ? and yours Shrugs so male or female ?
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes Empty Re: Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes

Post by tenpot June 19th 2011, 11:30 am

interesting tem piccassettes the french use pique-assietes for people who steal ideas tho origionally its people who nick food of other peoples plates or come uninvited to a party
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 19th 2011, 11:45 am

big ed wrote:I thought I recognised this , there is a similar piece in the millers guide 2009, page 115, small point John , how is the first name spelt , in two books I have -Nicola ? Nicolas ? and yours Shrugs so male or female ?

He was male so I think Nicholas is correct
studio-pots
studio-pots
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 19th 2011, 11:47 am

tenpot wrote:interesting tem piccassettes the french use pique-assietes for people who steal ideas tho origionally its people who nick food of other peoples plates or come uninvited to a party

I never knew that but imagine that Bernard did when he came up with the name for these Picasso influenced potters.
studio-pots
studio-pots
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman July 23rd 2013, 10:00 am

do you have a potter's mark for this one SP?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots July 23rd 2013, 12:33 pm

This piece is unmarked like most of the pieces of his work that I've seen and that hasn't been that many. The books do state marks and a bowl by him in the V&A collection has a painted N.54 on it.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by spherehopper December 13th 2017, 12:00 pm

I was searching for Vergette and registered with this forum to post some more information. I have been renovating a house that had primarily been rebuilt in the 1950s and discovered hidden away, some of Vergette's painted ceramic tiles and wanted to share them with you.

Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes Vergette_dining1_sm

Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes Vergette_dining2_sm

Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes Vergettes_living_sm

Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes Vergettes_living2_sm

Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes Vergettes_living3_sm
spherehopper
spherehopper

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 13th 2017, 12:16 pm

That's a significant find - is it to be kept?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by spherehopper December 13th 2017, 1:16 pm

studio-pots wrote:That's a significant find - is it to be kept?

Absolutely. I am in touch with Marshall Colman and Tilesoc concerning this find.
spherehopper
spherehopper

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot December 13th 2017, 2:41 pm

Those are lovely.Moreover, they are potentially quite valuable.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6408
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by spherehopper December 13th 2017, 3:34 pm

philpot wrote:Those are lovely.Moreover, they are potentially quite valuable.

They are protected by virtue that my house is listed (although the listing is for older oak timbers) but the listing brings the whole house under the eye of the local historic buildings officer. I have recently had a historic building report carried out as part of a planning application for other works and the Vergette tiles were documented.

Nobody seems to know much about them yet and if they do have a high value, this will have a bearing on my house insurance so it may be worth me getting a formal "valuation" at some point.

Since most of his London tile work has been ripped out in renovations of old coffee houses, these appear to be quite rare. I am presently trying to arrange for Nicholas Vergette' son to visit my house to see his Dad's work.

When I get a moment, I will photograph the panels straight on and upload them in higher resolution so followers can see the detail in the work.
spherehopper
spherehopper

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot December 13th 2017, 4:47 pm

These would be valuable if they could be extracted undamaged as complete panels. Mainly due to their rarity as most of the Picassetes 50's tilework disappeared in the endless redevelopment of London commercial locations.
As in situ, they are a lovely feature of the property. Green with envy here!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman December 15th 2017, 3:36 pm

me too! they are wonderful with or without the rarity and provenance

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. December 15th 2017, 6:14 pm

Great shame to remove them. Keep them together on the wall where they were meant to be.

Your job was so much easier as he signed and dated his work

Thanks for posting such an interesting discovery
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 18th 2020, 8:23 pm

Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes 83a41510

Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes 3485ed10 Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes 67aff710 Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes 4f6b8b10

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31521
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot December 18th 2020, 9:15 pm

OOOOhhhh nice.Lucky you, Where did you get that?
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 18th 2020, 10:19 pm

Local charity shop :)

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle December 31st 2020, 4:20 pm

Is it just a W ?
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 31st 2020, 5:29 pm

brin mcardle wrote:Is it just a W ?

There are faint lines extending from the W

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot February 8th 2021, 3:12 pm

Nicholas Vergette - one of the Piccassettes Img_0370

Large earthenware Oval dish 1953.The design of three roodters inlaid into the surface and then glazed. 53 cms. He really was rather good.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 8th 2021, 4:04 pm

His pottery life/career in the UK was very short and I suspect he made very little after emigrating to the States, as from 1960 until his death in 1974, he was Professor of Art at the School of Art and Design of the Southern Illinois University.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum