Coffee Pot with NP mark. Not Nairn Pottery. maybe Nantwich Pottery?

+2
bazzeranddi
vanmann
6 posters

Go down

Coffee Pot with NP mark. Not Nairn Pottery. maybe Nantwich Pottery?  Empty Coffee Pot with NP mark. Not Nairn Pottery. maybe Nantwich Pottery?

Post by vanmann May 13th 2011, 7:18 pm

The only marks that I can trace resembling the conjoined NP on this jug appear to relate to Nairn Pottery in Scotland. Their mark however seems clearer and more distinct than mine. Again all thoughts and suggestions welcome and appreciated. John

Coffee Pot with NP mark. Not Nairn Pottery. maybe Nantwich Pottery?  Potter44

Coffee Pot with NP mark. Not Nairn Pottery. maybe Nantwich Pottery?  Potter45
vanmann
vanmann

Male Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Coffee Pot with NP mark. Not Nairn Pottery. maybe Nantwich Pottery?  Empty Re: Coffee Pot with NP mark. Not Nairn Pottery. maybe Nantwich Pottery?

Post by bazzeranddi May 13th 2011, 9:41 pm

Looks like RP to me???? Can't come up with an identification, though - sorry.
bazzeranddi
bazzeranddi

Male Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Coffee Pot with NP mark. Not Nairn Pottery. maybe Nantwich Pottery?  Empty Re: Coffee Pot with NP mark. Not Nairn Pottery. maybe Nantwich Pottery?

Post by Scotpots September 12th 2011, 1:50 pm

Dear Vanman - I can send you an authoritative, but at the same time frustratingly inconclusive, reply to your query! Your jug is identical to one in my own collection, along with cups, saucers, etc. forming a complete coffee set: same decoration, same turned base, same NP conjoined mark. I acquired it believing it to be an unusual product of the Nairn Pottery, which I am well familiar with, having researched its history over the past eighteen months for a presentation to the Scottish Pottery Society. In the process I have had many consultations with the surviving member of the Nairn Pottery team, but to my disappointment, when I showed him one piece of my NP coffee set, he told me that it was no way a product of the Nairn Pottery. He should know. So there you go - the search goes on! Not Nairn, but undoubtedly from some craft studio using the same initials. Could be based anywhere. I would love to hear more if anyone recognises the style and the mark. If you are in Scotland, and check out the Scottish Pottery Society website (www.scottishpotterysociety.co.uk), you will see info relating to my presentation on Nairn, which will be repeated in March, in Glasgow. Also in Fife, later next month (October 2011). Good luck! Scotpots
Scotpots
Scotpots

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free September 12th 2011, 4:51 pm

I think that is n w for what it's worth. It definitely doesn't look like a p to me. It could be an R but to my eyes is n w the right hand stick of the n going down through the middle of the w.
m
flying free
flying free

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Scotpots September 12th 2011, 5:19 pm

I don't think it is a W, having studied several of the 14 or so pieces in the set I have. I have taken close-ups, which I will upload later when I have time. I think in the orientation given, the RHS letter is definitely P, but you get an interesting change of perspective if you turn the mark on its side: could be NC, or something like that. More later...
Scotpots
Scotpots

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty September 12th 2011, 8:34 pm

looks like RP to me too Shrugs

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by skay September 13th 2011, 6:43 pm

Scotpots wrote:Dear Vanman - I can send you an authoritative, but at the same time frustratingly inconclusive, reply to your query! Your jug is identical to one in my own collection, along with cups, saucers, etc. forming a complete coffee set: same decoration, same turned base, same NP conjoined mark. I acquired it believing it to be an unusual product of the Nairn Pottery, which I am well familiar with, having researched its history over the past eighteen months for a presentation to the Scottish Pottery Society. In the process I have had many consultations with the surviving member of the Nairn Pottery team, but to my disappointment, when I showed him one piece of my NP coffee set, he told me that it was no way a product of the Nairn Pottery. He should know. So there you go - the search goes on! Not Nairn, but undoubtedly from some craft studio using the same initials. Could be based anywhere. I would love to hear more if anyone recognises the style and the mark. If you are in Scotland, and check out the Scottish Pottery Society website (www.scottishpotterysociety.co.uk), you will see info relating to my presentation on Nairn, which will be repeated in March, in Glasgow. Also in Fife, later next month (October 2011). Good luck! Scotpots

Welcome Heather Coffee Pot with NP mark. Not Nairn Pottery. maybe Nantwich Pottery?  124209

Thanks for the info and reviving this ID request, I'm sure Vanman will be here again soon as well.

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by vanmann September 14th 2011, 6:18 pm

Thanks for the information. At least that rules out Nairn and sometimes even a negative ID can be a positive help.

John
vanmann
vanmann

Male Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Scotpots December 3rd 2011, 6:56 am

Hello again. Since my previous posting, re your 'NP' marked jug, which I confirmed was definitely NOT from the Nairn Pottery, subsequent research indicates it is likely to be a product of the Nantwich Pottery.

Scotpots
Scotpots
Scotpots

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum