VERY OLD POT--ANY HELP WITH ID?

2 posters

Go down

VERY OLD POT--ANY HELP WITH ID? Empty VERY OLD POT--ANY HELP WITH ID?

Post by Calusa Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:55 am

I realize this is the "20th Century Forum", but I recently found this old water (or wine) jug that appears to me to possibly have been made prior to the 19th century, probably of European origin and I wonder if anyone can offer any insight to this piece. It is about 9 1/2" tall and 6 1/2" wide, made of a buff colored earthenware. It has a an appliquéd design of grape vines with rows of a "beaded" motif above and below the design. It appears to be hand thrown, with the neck being a second piece applied to the bulbous bottom. It seems to have been colored with a slightly darker, pinker stain with bands of a whitish gesso-like material around the central design area, the bottom, just above the base, just below where the neck attaches, and the top edge. The white has mostly worn away, with only vestiges remaining. There are some stamped numbers and letters on the base that appear to be 08, 562, C (possibly an "S" before the C). My guess is Spanish or Italian, but I'm not very schooled on this kind of stuff. Anyone have any clues?
VERY OLD POT--ANY HELP WITH ID? Old_po18
VERY OLD POT--ANY HELP WITH ID? Old_po19

VERY OLD POT--ANY HELP WITH ID? Old_po20
Calusa
Calusa

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

VERY OLD POT--ANY HELP WITH ID? Empty Re: VERY OLD POT--ANY HELP WITH ID?

Post by dantheman Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:58 am

I have seen that decoration on traditional German wine containers

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15421
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum