storage of pottery

3 posters

Go down

storage of pottery Empty storage of pottery

Post by dantheman March 9th 2011, 1:16 pm

Most pottery collectors suffer from the same problem at some point,their collection becomes too big to display,many decide to store the excess treasure in cupboards,attics and in extreme cases garden sheds and garages! Embarrassed
I noticed today there is a Lucie Rie bowl for sale on ebay,in good condition it might sell for a 4 figure sum but frost damage has left it virtually worthless!
My message is simple,if you must buy more pottery than you can display and you live in a country that suffers very cold winters keep them safe and keep them warm!

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

storage of pottery Empty Re: storage of pottery

Post by vizibell March 9th 2011, 1:49 pm

That's useful advice - I was not aware that cold conditions can affect pottery.
I know from experience that bringing glassware in from the cold into a warm room can have drastic consequences. I bought an early 20th century piece of glassware one winter and immediately displayed it. Soon after there was a bang and I discovered that the piece had exploded - luckily not damaging the pieces alongside it!
Nuh-huh
vizibell
vizibell

Female Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 9th 2011, 3:03 pm

freezing temperatures will chip any weak spots in the clay and will strip a glaze right off a pot Big Shock

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 9th 2011, 4:03 pm

I looked at the bowls on ebay and they appear to be made from an earthenware clay and probably stored outside. In general dantheman's advice correct, even storing earthenware in a cold place and bringing them indoors can cause them to crack. Stoneware is less susceptible. However, I have had an earthenware "rhubarb forcer" made by Nic Collins out in the garden for over 15 years now and it is still OK much to the surprise on both Nic and I.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum