white/grey studio vase - mark looks like William Gordon..can't be, so what?

4 posters

Go down

white/grey studio vase - mark looks like William Gordon..can't be, so what? Empty white/grey studio vase - mark looks like William Gordon..can't be, so what?

Post by flying free October 25th 2010, 9:26 am

This is a lovely pot. But the only mark I can see that matches is Walton pottery/William Gordon. And whilst I'm not good at working out what it's made of and glazes, this doesn't seem to match the descriptions in the book. So what can it be? Any help very much appreciated.
thanks Happy m

white/grey studio vase - mark looks like William Gordon..can't be, so what? White_10

white/grey studio vase - mark looks like William Gordon..can't be, so what? White_11
flying free
flying free

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

white/grey studio vase - mark looks like William Gordon..can't be, so what? Empty Re: white/grey studio vase - mark looks like William Gordon..can't be, so what?

Post by flying free October 25th 2010, 9:27 am

it's 5 1/2" wide by 4" high
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

white/grey studio vase - mark looks like William Gordon..can't be, so what? Empty Re: white/grey studio vase - mark looks like William Gordon..can't be, so what?

Post by flying free October 26th 2010, 9:36 pm

so, I have found a pict of William Gordon pieces and it definitely doesn't look like his piece or mark. Meanwhile what it does look like a bit is some Korean pottery I found. And then I found Moon vases by Adam Buick who makes 'miniature' ones that are c. this height. It isn't 'quite' the same shape, mine seems to be slightly fatter than his shape, but does anyone know his mark please? Just in case Happy
Many thanks
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free September 4th 2011, 12:36 am

Hi all
I've been absent for while with long school hols etc, so slightly embarassed to be asking for help immediately :) but could I bump this please? Since I dropped the Kevin de Choisy jug on a few of my other pieces and broke them all, I've fewer to id now Big Laughter but fortunately this one survived.
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 4th 2011, 10:08 am

I have exhibited Adam Buick's work and this is not by him.

He works in stoneware and porcelain and your vase looks like an earthenware one. If it is stoneware it is much finer and the wrong colour for Adam's work.

Adam has only been active for a few years and I think your vase has some age - probably 1940s to 1960s but difficult to judge from pictures.

I have seen the mark in the past but don't think I was able to identify it.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7810
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free September 4th 2011, 2:37 pm

Many thanks SP. I'll give up looking now :) I love Adam's pieces.
I had thought at the time I posted these that my pictures were quite good, but when I bumped all of them last night I realised they don't actually show good detail at all Embarrassed
Thanks again - your help is much appreciated.
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 4th 2011, 2:42 pm

Someone ought to recognise this mark and it does look a very interesting piece.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7810
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free September 4th 2011, 10:40 pm

I've searched and searched on this one S-P and no luck so far. I did wonder if perhaps it wasn't British? and maybe I haven't been searching far enough afield. The one good thing that came out of it was I discovered some really beautiful Korean pottery in the meantime. Gorgeous pieces.
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 September 5th 2011, 8:50 am

At first glance the black spots looked like holes cut in the pot (for pot pourri), but now they look to be part of the glaze decoration. For me, this makes it much more interesting. The red clay could point towards the south west if its English.
climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free September 5th 2011, 9:48 am

I'm going to take some better pictures today in daylight and post them up. Yes the 'spots/patches' are in the glaze. It really is a gorgeous pot, very finely done.
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 21st 2018, 6:27 pm

Might be David Pritchard’s mark after he left Edinbane. The Marks book shows it as a stamp rather than hand drawn

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32036
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum