Czech or China? - Yellow lidded pot

3 posters

Go down

Czech or China? - Yellow lidded pot Empty Czech or China? - Yellow lidded pot

Post by Guest September 19th 2010, 5:17 pm

First thought when i bought this was it reminded me of loetz tango or something along those lines but knowing my luck its more than likely to be chinese, Not even sure if the epns lid is original to the jar but it works. Anyone got any clues on this one,

thanks rob
Czech or China? - Yellow lidded pot Image425Czech or China? - Yellow lidded pot Image512Czech or China? - Yellow lidded pot Image513

Back to top Go down

Czech or China? - Yellow lidded pot Empty Re: Czech or China? - Yellow lidded pot

Post by Pip October 24th 2010, 5:43 pm

It's way out of my comfort zone but my first thought would also be Czech/Austrian tango glass but I have no knowledge of glass in this area at all. Re: the lid - it looks original to the base to my eye.

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Czech or China? - Yellow lidded pot Empty Re: Czech or China? - Yellow lidded pot

Post by flying free October 24th 2010, 8:57 pm

difficult really, but the shape and the colour are good as far as I can see. The base is a difficult one. I think it looks good for Bohemian, but I think you would struggle to id a maker as so many of these were made by different companies. I like the lid as well, it looks right. I have a little jam jar with enamel decoration on it and it just doesn't look right cos it's missing a lid. I suspect it would have been a little flat metal one to sit inside the top rather than glass as I've seen others with a metal lid.
But other than that I can't add any more. Nice piece :)
m
flying free
flying free

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by stylespectrum November 18th 2010, 7:34 pm

This type of ware was also made in Empoli and Japan but this one is Czech Deco era without doubt.
NOT all tango was made by Loetz ! In fact most of it wasn't. After Powolny designed the first items all the factories (many !) started copying.
Loetz quality is often obvious. On a simple item like this much depends on "feel" of the quality and the finish.
Not much can be deduced from a sand cooled base normally except that it usually seems to appear on earlier production, however Loetz would probably have found a way of finishing it better.
The depth of colour seems good and it's more translucent, less opaque, than most which I personally prefer but it's hard to judge the exact tone because your white balance is off. I am assuming that your background is white but it looks bluish grey which means we're not seeing the true shade. Pete
stylespectrum
stylespectrum

Male Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest March 5th 2011, 2:26 pm

Thanks Pip, m, and Pete

Again I apologise for late reply my old laptop gave up the ghost

Czech it is. Many thanks Rob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum