Decorated enamelled? small dish - what is this technique called please?

3 posters

Go down

Decorated enamelled? small dish - what is this technique called please? Empty Decorated enamelled? small dish - what is this technique called please?

Post by flying free July 6th 2010, 7:07 pm

Further to my post on the jug, I also have this little plate which is completely decorated with this coloured thick enamel glaze (again forgive my incorrect description and please correct me!)
The reverse including the base rim is also covered with creamy grey glaze and it seems it was supported on three pins rather than being placed on the base rim iykwim?
There is a marking but I can't trace it - I think it says Church of our Lady of Incarnation - but there is another word underneath it that I cannot make out. I am assuming it is Spanish but it could be Mexican perhaps? I have not a clue.
Any help would be hugely appreciated. many thanks
m

Decorated enamelled? small dish - what is this technique called please? Spanis10

Decorated enamelled? small dish - what is this technique called please? Spanis11
flying free
flying free

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Decorated enamelled? small dish - what is this technique called please? Empty Re: Decorated enamelled? small dish - what is this technique called please?

Post by flying free July 6th 2010, 7:09 pm

How utterly bizarre! I haven't looked at this for a while and I've just checked my photos and can see clear as clear that the word underneath says GRANADA - before when I have looked at it I have been totally unable to make out the script because in person it is blurry and smudged.
off to go searching some more.
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Decorated enamelled? small dish - what is this technique called please? Empty Re: Decorated enamelled? small dish - what is this technique called please?

Post by dantheman July 6th 2010, 7:22 pm

the print on the back seems to be the place of manufacture
Granada is the province and the rest possibly a town or village?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free July 6th 2010, 7:28 pm

I found this explanation for what the technique is

*Link removed, MOD*

These pieces are made in the same way as my dish. The glazed jug in the other thread has the same type of enamel decoration made in the same way. Not to say it comes from the same place of course, but the technique is the same.
ooh, I feel light at the end of the tunnel.....maybe.
m

Last edited by Pip on July 6th 2010, 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Board policy regarding links to commercial websites)
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman July 6th 2010, 7:34 pm

Senora De La Incarnacion is Jimenez way I seem to recall

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman July 6th 2010, 7:54 pm

http://www.turgranada.com/es/recursos/reproduccionceramicaantigua/

Bingo!

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free July 6th 2010, 8:26 pm

thanks Dan. I am getting a Spanish explanation but no pics. Is that what you were linking to? I will translate it - thanks again.
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman July 6th 2010, 8:29 pm

research done

the plate is made using an 15th century Moorish technique,the design is made in string that has been dipped in wax,enamel is then poured in (similar to tube lined Moorcroft designs)

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman July 6th 2010, 8:33 pm

flying free wrote:thanks Dan. I am getting a Spanish explanation but no pics. Is that what you were linking to? I will translate it - thanks again.
m

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ref=SERP&br=ro&mkt=en-GB&dl=en&lp=ES_EN&a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.turgranada.com%2fes%2frecursos%2freproduccionceramicaantigua%2f

translated version

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free July 6th 2010, 8:50 pm

Thanks - the links have been removed. My apologies mods I wasn't aware. So this technique is referred to as Cuerda Seca.
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip July 6th 2010, 8:53 pm

No worries m :)

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman July 6th 2010, 8:53 pm

yes that's my understanding 'dry string'

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum