Two headed naive horse - Kargopol Russia

2 posters

Go down

Two headed naive horse - Kargopol Russia Empty Two headed naive horse - Kargopol Russia

Post by flying free July 1st 2010, 7:52 pm

I hope I'm not going to embarrass myself by being told this is current IKEA stock  Two headed naive horse - Kargopol Russia 212118 but in my defense I live miles from one and haven't been inside an IKEA in years.
I haven't seen another like it, I presume that it is a support of some sort with another to match it somewhere and whatever rests on it ensures that the people sat on either side (assuming a dinner table?) are each able to see a   head. Two headed naive horse - Kargopol Russia 466571
Well it's the best I can come up with.  Any ideas at all would be helpful.
many thanks

Two headed naive horse - Kargopol Russia Two_he10

Two headed naive horse - Kargopol Russia Two_he11
m
flying free
flying free

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Two headed naive horse - Kargopol Russia Empty Re: Two headed naive horse - Kargopol Russia

Post by flying free July 2nd 2010, 8:25 pm

I thought it  may be a  dala horse, but it seems very plain compared to the few pottery ones I found and also compared to the wooden ones - even the old ones.  The colouring is quite subdued on mine.   However there are lots of dala horses with a 'purpose' such as candle holders etc, so I wondered if this was some sort of 'rest' for something with it missing it matching support pair.
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Two headed naive horse - Kargopol Russia Empty Re: Two headed naive horse - Kargopol Russia

Post by flying free August 2nd 2016, 10:11 pm

I thought I'd just pop in to say that I think the horse is a Russian clay toy possibly a Kargopol toy.  I don't think it's new but really don't know how old.  The colours don't look new.
link to similar photograph of one here
https://www.colourbox.com/image/the-traditional-clay-toy-from-kargopol-russian-northern-city-image-3427252
But I don't know why mine has two heads or what story it might come from if it does.
Not sure if my dates are wrong but I can't believe it's been 6 years since I bought it.

Edited to add -
I searched in Russian and have found an article which shows a picture of a two headed horse! Can't believe it.
http://glina.teploruk.ru/article/kargopolskaya.html
I only realised what this was vaguely having scrolled through an entire museum collection looking for some glass and came upon some clay toys.
What luck - so pleased I've found out where it's from.
m

Last edited by flying free on August 2nd 2016, 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 2nd 2016, 10:30 pm

good to see you on the forum FF

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free August 2nd 2016, 10:36 pm

Thanks :) I'm so dumbstruck I've found out where this is from - did you see my edit showing another double headed horse?

There are very few photos of these pieces but from the few I've found they appear to have been taken in the late 1960s.
The article I found is about an exhibition of work by Ulyana Babkina I think (if I've translated and read it correctly)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kargopol_toys mentions Ulyana Babkina.
So possibly mine dates to 1960s or later perhaps. Difficult to find any more recent stuff and information.

Last edited by flying free on August 2nd 2016, 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 2nd 2016, 10:40 pm

That's great!
It's always a relef when you solve such a long lived mystery Most Excellent

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free August 2nd 2016, 10:58 pm

It's doubly weird when I spend my life looking for Russian Glass and end up having bought a Russian clay toy without knowing it.
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free August 3rd 2016, 12:13 am

I think, having looked through a number of pictures in articles from an exhibition of work, as well as these pictures here in the museum, that it is possible my horse is by Ulyana Babkina or at least from that period
She was born in 1889 and died in 1977

http://www.arhmuseum.ru/virtual/view/15
http://www.arhmuseum.ru/content/image/virtual/15/780_Ury8Eyh.jpg
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum