Alan Wallwork

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Re: Alan Wallwork

Post by cycladelic on July 27th 2018, 1:11 pm

NaomiM wrote:Or a touch of Rooke

Louis Hudson incorporated those white-ish curved parts into his work. Did Louis have any connections to Alan or Bernard?
cycladelic

Male Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2012-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on July 27th 2018, 2:16 pm

I believe Hudson, Wallwork and Rooke shared studios in the early years. Certainly there was a bit of cross pollination (or borrowing of clay and molds) in the Rooke/Wallwork years

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 18048
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by cycladelic on July 27th 2018, 2:30 pm

NaomiM wrote:I believe Hudson, Wallwork and Rooke shared studios in the early years. Certainly there was a bit of cross pollination (or borrowing of clay and molds) in the Rooke/Wallwork years

There doesn't seem to be much info' about Louis on the www - at least I can't find any. I did wonder if he also went to Goldsmiths.
cycladelic

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on July 27th 2018, 8:47 pm

Hudson worked as an assistant to Alan in Greenwich when Alan sub-let part of his premises to Bernard Rooke too. Another part was rented by Alan to the Fourniers and that is where Robert nick the idea of making the forms that he is most appreciated for.

Alan and Bernard discussed ideas together and so there was many similarities in their work from that period. Alan thought Sheila Fournier was far more talented than her husband, which I think is true.

When Hudson moved to the West Country Alan says that he helped him out with equipment etc. and somewhere on this Forum I recall Alan moaning that Hudson still owes him some money!

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5338
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. on July 27th 2018, 9:45 pm

So do we not need a Wallwork/Hudson/Rooke/Fournier book?
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 2473
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cycladelic on July 28th 2018, 1:50 am

studio-pots wrote:Hudson worked as an assistant to Alan in Greenwich when Alan sub-let part of his premises to Bernard Rooke too. Another part was rented by Alan to the Fourniers and that is where Robert nick the idea of making the forms that he is most appreciated for.

Alan and Bernard discussed ideas together and so there was many similarities in their work from that period. Alan thought Sheila Fournier was far more talented than her husband, which I think is true.

When Hudson moved to the West Country Alan says that he helped him out with equipment etc. and somewhere on this Forum I recall Alan moaning that Hudson still owes him some money!

Many thanks for the input, SP

From memory, which isn't great, I read that Louis Hudson began potting around 1971. Maybe that date is when he got his own studio. What years would you say he was assisting and renting a space from Alan Wallwork at Greenwich?
cycladelic

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on July 29th 2018, 10:36 am

Louis Hudson didn't rent a space at Greenwich but work for Alan there and so it would have been around 1964/5, from what Alan has told me. Although Alan moved to Marnhull in 1965 he wasn't able to get rid of the lease at Greenwich until several years later and I know that he continued to rent out the building to various potters after 1965 but am not aware from Hudson was one of them.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5338
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on July 30th 2018, 8:09 am

It an interesting point that Alan Wallwork was a highly successful businessman. For near 25 years he ran what was virtually a production pottery with up to 14 assistants at peak times. Both in London and Dorset, with major contracts for tiles, and a long standing upmarket contract with Heals.
philpot

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by cycladelic on August 3rd 2018, 4:28 am

Here's a 23cm tall vase with the W mark.

cycladelic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum