Adrian Horsnell
greendoor
Davee
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Walter Horsnell Waltercolour Empty Walter Horsnell Waltercolour

Post by Davee Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:33 pm

Picked this up for a song last week, Walter Horsnell was based in Yorkshire and is quite well documented.

Walter Horsnell Waltercolour 00715
Davee
Davee
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Walter Horsnell Waltercolour Empty Re: Walter Horsnell Waltercolour

Post by greendoor Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:32 am

This is my Horsnell bargain. "Aysgarth Falls" water colour
Walter Horsnell Waltercolour Walter10
greendoor
greendoor

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian Horsnell Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:16 pm

Davee wrote:Picked this up for a song last week, Walter Horsnell was based in Yorkshire and is quite well documented.

Walter Horsnell Waltercolour 00715

Yes Nice painting. Judging by the frame (I assume that this was the frame you bought it in?) I would estimate that this was painted in the late 60's or more possibly the 70's. He rarely dated his work.
Looks like a little water damage in the bottom left hand corner of the frame but from your pic the painting looks to be OK
Regards
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian Horsnell Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:23 pm

greendoor wrote:This is my Horsnell bargain. "Aysgarth Falls" water colour
Walter Horsnell Waltercolour Walter10

Nicely mounted. I think that this is quite old, the style is quite 'broad" and I would guess that this possibly dates back to the 1950s
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Back to top Go down

Post by skay Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:50 pm

Welcome Adrian Walter Horsnell Waltercolour 124209

What relation are you to Walter please?

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian Horsnell Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi Skay,
I am his son (the youngest son). I came across your website by chance today and was pleased to see that there are still people out there that value my Dad's work. He was often quoted as saying he based his style on the French impressionists and he was particularly influenced by Camille pissaro which is very evident if you compare his work with that of piddle. Anyway reading the comments on the forum I realized that although there are a number of people still alive who knew him,  I am probably one of a small number of people  who can add detail to the debate. I will reply to your earlier mail asking for a personal profile but  perhaps a bit later.  regards. Adrian
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:07 pm

Some more info on Walter would be great. Yes there was water damage to the frame but luckily not to the picture. Its a great painting and quite large for a water colour 30" x 19". I have tried to work out where the scene is but without much success, i'm guessing it's Yorkshire as that seems to be where most of Walters paintings were set.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian Horsnell Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:07 am

OK more info it shall be though I do hope that the spell checker gremlin does not intervene again.

Walter Horsnell born Ware Hertfordshire 1911 died Harrogate Yorkshire 1997. He was stationed in Harrogate in WW2 whilst working in the RAF as a technical illustrator and returned to live there after the war. You'll find a few details of him in Who's Who in Art and Who's Who in the World but the last entry was I think in 1994. He was also proud to be a member of the Italian Academy of Fine Arts (Terme Salso Maggiore), he was not an RA but he did have a painting selected for exhibition "on the line" (prime position) in the Royal Academy in 1950 (a picture of my mother breastfeeding me as a relatively newborn baby!)

His first landscape painting dates back to about 1919 or 1920 and his last was painted in the winter of 1996-1997. The fact that your painting is 30 x 19 also helps me date it to the 70's. In the late 50's and early 60's he was typically painting water colours on card measuring about 22" x 14" and his style at that time was quite detailed; with the 70's he moved up a gear and went for bigger layouts and his style broadened slightly (though that aspect varied many times throughout his life). The frame you have on your painting is also very "70's" and at some point you might want to consider a new frame though they are not cheap in the UK. I can't tell from your photo but I guess that the glass is still intact and that it is the so called "non-reflecting" glass?

As to the location I too am struggling with that though if ever you take it out of its frame (all you need to do is remove the backboard) you may find that my Dad wrote the details of the location on the back of the picture in pencil . That said I think your guess is right that it is Yorkshire 90% of his work was done there with some in Scotland, the Lake District and of course Italy which was a great favourite with him. In Yorkshire he painted mostly in Wharfedale and Nidderdale and my guess is that yours is somewhere in Wharfedale (it's slightly bleaker than Nidderdale) The church is slightly reminiscent of the church at Hampsthwaite (in Nidderdale) but at Hampsthwaite the church is further from the river and there is no large hill so close to the church in the background. So I'm not a lot of use on that score except perhaps to suggest a drive along the course of the rivers Wharfe and Nidd early in the year before the leaves come out on the trees and obscure your view a bit. Take a picnic Yorkshire's a big county!

Other than that my only advice would be to say "hang on to it" you've got a good painting there. Don't know if you read my earlier post about him being heavily influenced by Camille P I S S A R O (had to put that in caps otherwise the spell checker will have fun again) I suggest you go online and have a look at some of P I S S A R O 'S work and in particular look at the way the trees are painted - not for nothing did Cezanne say of P I S S A R O "he was the greatest of us all". I think we'll see a resurgence of interest in this sort of Art.
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Back to top Go down

Walter Horsnell Waltercolour Empty walter hornsell

Post by jon hirst Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:47 pm

just bought a painting by walter hornsell at auction for £25.00 just because i liked the painting , oil on board the painting is of the village of Hampsthwaite near Harrogate . On leaving the auction i was appraoched by a couple who offered me £200 pound to sell it to them their and then, i didn't and since i have spent some time looking into the artist , seems like i may have fallen on a bargin.
Does anyone know what th going rate maybe for a walter Hornsell as i may sell
jon hirst
jon hirst

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-10-27

Back to top Go down

Walter Horsnell Waltercolour Empty Your oil painting of Hampsthwaite

Post by Adrian Horsnell Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:15 pm

hi Jon,

I've just seen your post. Truthfully I'm not very well up on current prices for my father's work but I think you did the right thing to hang on to yours -I remain convinced that history will recognise him as a consistently good landscape painter who painted pretty much what he saw so you may be able to realise double what you were offered. Oddly enough I was just saying to my wife this morning that somewhere out there someone has at least 4 watercolour paintings he did around St Paul's cathedral after the Blitz in WW2. I always hoped that I would inherit those but it was not to be, a customer looking at paintings one night spotted them and obviously recognised their historical worth and bought the lot. Anyway I'm sorry I have digressed can you post a picture of your painting on the forum please and I'll see if I can give you an idea of how old it might be.
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin StJohn Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:45 am

I have inherited a Walter Hornsell painting from My Parents. Was purchased sometime in the late 70's Early 80's while we were living in Cambridgeshire. not sure where the image is from or when it was painted. Was wondering if you could give me any information on it.
thanks,
Justin

Walter Horsnell Waltercolour 2013-011
Justin StJohn
Justin StJohn

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin StJohn Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:46 am

Oh I should mention that i believe that it is oil on board.
Justin StJohn
Justin StJohn

Registration date : 2013-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian Horsnell Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:30 pm

Hello Justin,

Your painting was relatively easy to identify. The scene is Hubberholme in upper Wharfedale and if you Google "Hubberholme" you'll find several images of the place. Immediately to the left of your painting is George Inn which my father left out of this composition. The Church in the background dates back to 1156 if memory serves me right and you can find out more about it on the net.

My father painted in Hubberholme quite a lot and I think it was mostly in oils though as you may know he also worked in watercolour and pastels. Your estimate of the date looks pretty accurate to me, the style is definitely late 70's early 80's and the frame moulding is one which was popular at that time. I'm sorry I cannot be more precise but as I said in response to an earlier question from someone else, he rarely dated his work. By 1981 he was 70 years old and as the decade progressed he tended not to drive as far afield as Hubberholme as often as he had done before...so I would guess your painting was done sometime between 1977 and 1984.

You mentioned that the painting is oil on board; my guess is that it would be "Daler" board a paperboard about 1/4 inch thick with a canvas surface pasted on one side (the side on which the artist worked). If you take the backboard off your frame you'll be able to verify this, you may also find a note in my father's handwriting (usually in pencil or black biro) confirming that it is indeed Hubberholme, however I should add that he did not always do this and I am sure that this is Hubberholme.

I hope that this has been of interest and help.
Regards
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian Horsnell Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Justin,

I should have added that Hubberholme is in Yorkshire. My father was from Hertfordshire but moved up to Yorkshire in WW2 in association with his work. He fell in love with the place and just never went back. He regarded himself primarily as a (Yorkshire) Dales painter though he also painted widely in Italy and occasionally in Germany (before WW2), France (1950's) Denmark (1970's) and Scotland.
Regards
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Adward Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:50 pm

You have done an extraordinary work here , i really like your art work. Here i want to say about the concept on which behalf you make this painting. The lake is flowing towards the house , that means your house is in the middle of lake.
Adward
Adward

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Spedster Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Hello there.  This is a very interesting thread.   Because it comes so high in Google when searching for Walter Horsnell I thought I'd add a photo of my own painting by him.  Compared to some others I've seen it's a loose and relatively freeform watercolour, highly accomplished.  I too picked it up at a general auction a few years ago for next to nothing and it's become very dear to me.  Can almost smell the air on what I imagine was a cool late-summer day.   Adrian: the context and background information you've given has been fascinating.  You're obviously (and rightly) very proud of your talented father.  Anyway, hope some people find this adds to their knowledge of Mr Horsnell's work.

Walter Horsnell Waltercolour Horsne10
Spedster
Spedster

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Nice painting, as you say its much looser than the other examples. It would be interesting to know what period of his life this style dates from. It could have been a study that was painted at the scene for a later painting.

Welcome to the forum spedster:@wave:

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Davee wrote:Some more info on Walter would be great. Yes there was water damage to the frame but luckily not to the picture. Its a great painting and quite large for a water colour 30" x 19". I have tried to work out where the scene is but without much success, i'm guessing it's Yorkshire as that seems to be where most of Walters paintings were set.

Finally managed to identify the location of my painting. It's St Oswald's Church, Arncliffe, Littondale, North Yorkshire.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian Horsnell Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:50 am

Hi Davee,
Well done! That must have taken some finding; it's not a place I know and it wasn't a place he went to much when I was a small boy. From the age of about 6 to 12 I used to go with him when he went out painting so I became familiar with many of the locations. Having said that I have a few in my collection of which am uncertain of the location.

Thank you for sharing the information.

Regards
Adrian
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Williamson Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:51 pm

This is a great thread. I would personally like to thank Adrian Horsnell for the information he provided about his father. It was intriguing to gain more insight into Walter's life and career.

I would also like to share my original Walter Horsnell painting.  Walter Horsnell Waltercolour Thumbn12 It's a beautiful depiction of Barden Bridge near Bolton Abbey. It's a large painting done in watercolours, and I am guessing it dates to around the 70s.

Walter Horsnell Waltercolour S-l16010 A better quality photo of it.
Carl Williamson
Carl Williamson

Male Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2019-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian Horsnell Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Hello Carl,

Thank you for sharing this photo of your painting of Barden Bridge. Yes I think you've got the age about right though it could have been into the early 80's. I'm sure it's not earlier because of the size and shape of the paper and because there appears to be little or no pencil sketching under the colour. It was in the 70's and 80's that he largely discontinued the "line and wash" technique. He would occasionally do line and wash with smaller (A4 sized paintings)but in those cases he often used a fine black biro for the line. These A4 paintings were works often done local to Harrogate  on the spur of the moment.  

Going back to the subject of Barden Bridge I remember one winter in the late 50's or very early 60's when the river froze over almost completely and my Dad stood on the ice in the middle of the river to paint. He took a piece of duckboard with him (to stand on) so that he wouldn't stick to the ice and he painted his picture from the other side of the bridge to your painting. I'm sure he was painting in watercolour which was bit unusual for such cold day  and he put  his (glass) water bottle down on the ice and a little while later it was of course frozen.

Once again, thanks for sharing.
Adrian
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Williamson Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:01 pm

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for replying and for sharing the stories about your Dad. I greatly admire his work and I'm very happy to have one of his paintings in my home. I will never part with it! I would like to add more of his work to my collection as and when the opportunity presents itself.

I first came across his work whilst living in Hampsthwaite. I believe your Dad did multiple paintings in and around Hampsthwaite? One such example is a splendid winter scene he did of St Thomas a Becket church by the river. I missed out on that particular painting at auction, unfortunately. However, I made it my mission to get my hands on one of his paintings, and luckily I was able to get the one I shared.

Regards,

Carl
Carl Williamson
Carl Williamson

Male Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2019-08-15

Back to top Go down

Walter Horsnell Waltercolour Empty All Saints, Spofforth, North Yorks, September 1985

Post by Fenlander Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:15 pm

Walter Horsnell Waltercolour Sdc16310

Thought I would add this to the posts.

My Grandfather was visiting friends in Spofforth and saw Walter Horsnell at work painting the view of the church. He talked to Walter and asked to buy the completed work, and received the painting in the post a short while later.

Graeme
Fenlander
Fenlander

Registration date : 2019-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian Horsnell Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:03 pm

Hello Graeme,

Thanks for sharing your picture which is not one I am familiar with. I left home in the early 1970's and judging by the style and the frame (which I guess would be contemporary) I think that  your painting was done in the 1980's. From the 1970's onwards all I saw was the paintings he had in his studio when I went home to visit. What I do know is that he did not do many paintings to the south and south east of Harrogate so in that sense your painting is a bit of a rarity. He mostly worked in Wharfedale,  Nidderdale, and occasionally Swaledale & Wensleydale. By 1990  he tended to paint much closer to home and that may be another reason why I think that your painting was done in the 80's. Do you know when your grandfather bought the painting? That of course would date it very accurately.  

Best regards
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenlander Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:41 pm

Walter Horsnell Waltercolour Sdc16311
Hi Adrian
This is Grandfathers receipt, so you are quite right that it was in the 80's. This painting had pride of place in the Grandparents house, and now hangs in mine. I half remember that the lady in the painting was known to them. My wife an I used to visit the village an so can appreciate it as something tangible from the past.
Regards
Graeme
Fenlander
Fenlander

Registration date : 2019-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next