Taylor Thomas
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Stanley R Boardman - Page 2 Empty Re: Stanley R Boardman

Post by Taylor Thomas March 9th 2010, 6:14 pm

beacon wrote:Stanley R Boardman - Page 2 Cimg5615

Down Memory Lane

Essentially little has changed over the last hundred years - this was Fell Lane in the early l900s.
Described in the mid-nineteenth century as having presented "the gloomy appearance of depopulation and decay", Fell Lane revived largely due to the employment offered by John Stell and Sons, paper tube manufacturers at Holme Mill, and Joseph Town and Sons, paper manufacturers at Turkey Mills, Goose Eye -- the 1851 census records a hundred Irish immigrants in Fell Lane and Goose Eye, the majority working as rag-cutters in the paper mill.
The relatively self-sufficient nature of this community is suggested by the two small shops, distinguishable by their tin advertisements, in the centre and the left-hand background. The photograph is taken from the site, at the bottom left, of what was to be a bigger store set up by Fred Greenwood and his wife -- "Fred's" -- in 1928.
This locality was to be immortalised in the 1970s by the late Stanley Boardman in his legendary series of paintings, "1920s Boy".

Archive - Friday, 3 June 2005
Taylor Thomas
Taylor Thomas

Male Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by beacon March 9th 2010, 6:42 pm

I am really pleased that you are enjoying the paintings. I will put more pics on for you to see at the weekend.

Stan's father worked at Turkey mills as a papermaker as did Stan for a short time.

Fred's store endured for many years, Stan wrote his signs and decorated the bicycle powered ice cream ('Fred's Ices') cart that was quite famous in Keighley .
beacon
beacon

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by skay March 9th 2010, 9:05 pm

Stanley R Boardman - Page 2 509750 Very few girls around in the pictures, a sign of the times perhaps?

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 10th 2010, 9:44 am

I was in that part of the world last weekend,still thick snow on the tops but the scenery was awesome

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15419

Back to top Go down

Post by beacon March 10th 2010, 4:27 pm

Stan's sisters Madge ,Kath and Stella feature quite often and can be seen at the front of the line for The Band of Hope.
beacon
beacon

Back to top Go down

Stanley R Boardman - Page 2 Empty 1920s boy

Post by jodavison1983 March 31st 2010, 9:08 pm

Hi everyone i am new on here and stubbled across this forum through looking up Stanley Boardman, the boy that Stanley wrote about with the wooden leg and brown eyes is my Grandad and I am trying to get hold of a copy of the book for my Grandma as she had the book put has miss placed it.
I would love to know more about the cottage home he was in too if anyone knows of anything.

Thanks Jo
jodavison1983
jodavison1983

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 31st 2010, 9:19 pm

I'm sure Guy and Beacon would love to discuss this with you when they are online.
Welcome Jo

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15419

Back to top Go down

Post by beacon April 27th 2010, 5:51 pm

Hello to Jo

Great to find someone 'related' to Stan's ( My Dad ) pictures.

I have a copy of San's book but it is no longer in print and old copies are hard to find.

If I can help at all get in touch.
beacon
beacon

Back to top Go down

Stanley R Boardman - Page 2 Empty Stanley Boardman (Artist)

Post by sonof20sboy June 20th 2012, 12:57 pm

Hi Beacon? (Stan Boardman’s daughter I hope) I am the son of one of the '20s boys', and met Stan at Cliffe Castle with my father during Stan’s exhibition some years ago. My father appeared on a number of the 20's boys pictures along with his older brother, Stan's mate; Kenny. I remember one of the paintings featuring one of my dad's older brothers (he had five and a sister), looking over the wall of the knackers yard with, I think I remember being told, Stan’s brother. Both with a green faces. Also one with my grandma complete with Tate & Lyle sugar sack apron, feeding all the kids from the surrounding area with her chicken soup. My dad is the tiny one shimmying up the leg of the table in that picture. I would love to hear from you as I tried for a number of years to get a copy of one of the paintings for my dad, who has now very sadly departed. I recently met a lady who has a print of the painting of the queue for Fell Lane Chapel Sunday school, hanging above her mantle. She was given this by Stan, who at the time was a neighbour of hers, Stan is on the extreme left of the picture I’m told by the lady who is very proud of her picture. She is also desperate to find out more about the other paintings, and maybe a glimpse of what remains.
sonof20sboy
sonof20sboy

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by beacon June 20th 2012, 4:39 pm

Evening sonof

I am indeed Stan's daughter and it is great to hear from you.

I have lots of the pictures still, although I have sold one or two to people who knew Stan and enjoyed his pictoral stories.
I live in Crosshills so you are welcome to see the pics anytime. Most are unframed ,there is a story behind that !
So are you a Harker ? Jill
beacon
beacon

Back to top Go down

Stanley R Boardman - Page 2 Empty Sonof20sboy

Post by sonof20sboy June 22nd 2012, 7:48 pm

Beacon. I am in deed a Harker, and I can tell you all that; that is my uncle Jim plucking a live chicken and the guy with the big ears is my uncle Kenneth (Kenny). I would love to see the pictures again. I would have sent Personal Message (PM) to Beacon via this forum but not figured it out yet how to. I've not fallen far from the tree, as I live in Haworth. I used to live by Fell Lane, near the Three Horses pub, which is named after the three horses the my great uncle used to cart stone from the quarry, and then pulled the snow plough in winter with them, (my cousin knows all the horses names). I took my father up to Fell Lane on a number of occasions after my parents moved away from the area, and he loved to point at the houses and had a story about each of the people who lived in them when he was a child, and the things his older brothers got up to are legend. Sometimes he couldn't get his stories out for laughing with tears of joy rolling down his face. Please PM me Beacon. Sonof20sboy. Thank you SKAY for linking me into this thread. ( skay, are you related to D, lived up Long Lee? and P of Silsden?)
sonof20sboy
sonof20sboy

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by beacon June 22nd 2012, 8:54 pm

Evening Sonov
Did you know Stan opened the Pub? and I think his painting of the three horses was sold to the bewery.I also don't know how to do PMs so will give you my Email ad, SKAY won't approve but here goes. jill_osborneatyahoo.codotuk. You are welcome to come and look at the pics.
beacon
beacon

Back to top Go down

Post by vernon hollings January 30th 2013, 5:21 pm

Its great to see such an interest in Stans work. I was just a child when i met him, he was a friend of my dads, Ronnie Hollings, he even painted my dads wagon with my name on the side, will see if i can find any photos.
I have a signed print of "Band Of Hope" he auctioned a few off for Airedale Hospital charity i believe.
My dad asked him to paint a sad clown for him as some kind of joke, not sure what the joke was, but i still have it today. i remember him with fondness.
vernon hollings
vernon hollings

Registration date : 2013-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by skay January 30th 2013, 6:30 pm

Welcome Vernon Stanley R Boardman - Page 2 124209

Yes, please do try to post some pictures Stanley R Boardman - Page 2 847164 We love this thread!

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351

Back to top Go down

Post by Fiona1957 March 24th 2013, 8:27 am

My bother and I lived in the house up Fell Lane next to the chapel, 243, the gable end of our house was in Stan's painting. I have a friend who has a ? Copy of the painting and both my brother and I would love a copy too.
Stan's daughter, please can you help.
We now both live in New Zealand.
I have a vague memory that Stan lived at 245 Fell Lane, is this correct?
My brother has just purchased one of the original books that Stan had published on line.
Look forward to hearing from you..
Fiona1957
Fiona1957

Registration date : 2013-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: