Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen

4 posters

Go down

Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen Empty Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen

Post by Pip Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:36 am

Various enamelled metal items from the 'Lotus' range designed by Norwegian designer Grete Prytz Kittelsen (Korsmo) in the 1950's for Cathrineholm (Norway).

Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen Img_7112

Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen Img_7113

Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen Img_7114

Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen Img_7210

Last edited by Pip on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen Empty Re: Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen

Post by Pip Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:56 pm

Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen Img_4411

Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen Img_4413

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen Empty Re: Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen

Post by Pip Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:45 pm

Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen Img_6210

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MirnaMinkoff Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:23 am

The summer issue of magazine called Atomic Ranch has a big article about and interview with Prytz-Kittlsen and surprisingly it states she did not design the "lotus' pattern, nor did she even like it at the time it was produced. If I understand correctly, she did design the body shape of the pots, pans, bowls, etc.. but the actual lotus pattern was not her design. Cathrineholm test marketed a variety of patterns among Norwegian housewives and the lotus pattern was by far their favorite, and so it went into production and on to big success. Kittelsen apparently favored the solid color pieces she did, particularly a line of aluminum cookware that was only in production for a short time and discontinued much to her dismay. I do not own the magazine, a friend mentioned the piece to me knowing I collected Cathrineholm so I went looking for it. I stood in the bookstore and read the whole thing, so I'm going from memory here.

Personally I adore the lotus pattern, as well as the stripe and square/napkin pattern designs from Cathrineholm. (I also like some of the work by Arabia and Finel's Kaj Franc Veggita series) I've done most of my kitchen in the aforementioned but it's the lotus pattern I use the most. I think I need those bright happy colors and patterns early in the morning with my coffee. It cheeriness and clean lines are so attractive to me.

The solid color enamel work she did was great too, but I've never come across any examples of it here in the US so far... but if I ever do....

Here is one wall in my kitchen, over my breakfast nook/table. (You can't see it but the table is a white Knoll Saarien tulip table which I think is a perfect match with the cathrineholm.)

Cathrineholm (Norway) 'Lotus' enamelware by Grete Prytz Kittelsen Cathrineholmlotuskitche

If there's any more interest in this thread I can post more photos. I have my pots and pans displayed above my cabinets, have the lotus pattern canisters for my coffee, sugar, etc.and use my Arbia bowls as planters for my orchids that are in bloom. (I line and protect the bowls from the pots I put inside.)

The one thing I badly want/need is a set of salt and pepper shakers, preferable in the lotus pattern but I would be happy with any of the Cathrineholm shakers at this point.
MirnaMinkoff
MirnaMinkoff

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:23 pm

A fantastic display and wonderful picture. It would be great to see anything else that you wish to add and thank you for all of the information.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:27 pm

GORGEOUS
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by MirnaMinkoff Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:44 am

Thank you both. Sometimes I can fiddle arranging things for hours and never end up satisfied with the result. With these Cathrineholm pieces I swear it took me five minutes and had it just the way I wanted it. I think the design is so good, and colors mix so well, it makes arranging it a fun process.

I will post some more photos of the rest of the kitchen, where I have the pots and pans as boarder above the cabinets and other incorporation of the Cathrineholm pieces in the room, later this week.
MirnaMinkoff
MirnaMinkoff

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum