Stylish 1950s German vase - any ideas on factory?

3 posters

Go down

Stylish 1950s German vase - any ideas on factory? Empty Stylish 1950s German vase - any ideas on factory?

Post by Pip May 11th 2009, 12:33 pm

Paul bought this the other day and I love it - so 1950s! It's marked to the base with 'Foreign' (indicating that it was made for the export market) and the form number '659' (I think - it's a little unclear).

Any ideas on a factory?

*click images to enlarge*

Stylish 1950s German vase - any ideas on factory? Variou39

Stylish 1950s German vase - any ideas on factory? Variou40

Last edited by Pip on May 11th 2009, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Stylish 1950s German vase - any ideas on factory? Empty Re: Stylish 1950s German vase - any ideas on factory?

Post by Susan Bearder May 16th 2009, 12:17 pm

That looks like one I sold before I left UK!
Susan Bearder

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Stylish 1950s German vase - any ideas on factory? Empty Re: Stylish 1950s German vase - any ideas on factory?

Post by Susan Bearder May 16th 2009, 12:36 pm

If I remember very fine glaze which did not ever strike me as German at the time. I had this pot for many years and liked it a lot though
Susan Bearder

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip May 16th 2009, 1:11 pm

Definitely German production - not sure if East or West at the moment though. Yes, it's a lovely vase - there were actually two in the shop but Paul only bought one because the other was badly chipped and we have no room in our little house for damaged stuff so it had to stay behind.

Ed or Fritz might know which factory - coooeeey Ed/Fritz where are you?

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed May 16th 2009, 2:04 pm

Hi Pip, sorry i don't know the maker , it does look very familiar ( not my cuppa tea), your right deff 1950's, I must admit when the fat lava stuff started I took a keen interest , but when so many company names started to get mentioned I kinda lost heart a wee bit because ......well to be frank i don't want to know about everybody that made a pot or cup in west germany or the numbers concerned , I still love the quirky stuff , any way I hear there's a book coming out this century full of numbers for those who give a ............ Laughter Laughter
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip May 16th 2009, 2:15 pm

Laughter now now (snigger)

I know what you mean about the various companies - I have an awful memory for names anyway. Originally I was into the seriously phat crusty stuff and my customers still want that but I find I'm turning more and more to the 1950s production - it's a little bit more sophisticated and there's less competition for it!

Do you think my vase could be Strehla? Reason I ask is I've got a couple of pieces with the same stamped 'Foreign' to the bases...

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed May 16th 2009, 2:42 pm

Strehla , Yup sounds right to me , besides that pip, it's nice to hear that your tastes change from time to time , I thought at one time that I would stick to one type of pottery or glass but my moods / feelings / everything changes and although I like loads of different styles etc , I feel happier swopping about , if i have a piece of pottery for awhile and I ignore it , then it's time for it to go to someone who will enjoy it and so on , I feel too much attention is being paid to W/G at the moment with very little backing , maybe it's just me, as i was collecting it before all the fuss or exhibitions and all the experts appeared , I still cannot accept what they say as gospel without provenance, so it's good for me to collect other stuff as well ,....variety is the spice girl of life I hear Laughter
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip May 16th 2009, 3:35 pm

Me too Ed, I've been buying WGP for about 10 years now and dealing in it since I started online trading 4 years ago - the current hysteria is a little OTT and you sound a bit like me - going off things when they become too popular! As an example, at school during the 70s I got so fed up with all the hype surrounding Star Wars I never saw it and still haven't and I know I probably never will just because ...

I understand there's a new TV programme out at the moment called 'I've never seen Star Wars' - LOL I should go on it!

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed May 16th 2009, 4:05 pm

i think you are so right , it's a question of of when you join the ...cult ..thingy ..whatever ,I know you know what I mean ,..instinct I suppose , you deal with th e public , so that's good , kath has a shop in newport , which from this week will be heading to the auctions , ( needs must ) , I think I will always deal in things I like ---stress my taste -until i drop , , I also think this forum has more to offer than others as we have a more varied opinoions than Self interest, what's the point of being here and then bumming up kev's forum (one trick pony)
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum