NaomiM
bistoboy
big ed
narcissus
dantheman
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 Empty Re: Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands)

Post by Potty January 18th 2013, 12:21 pm

studio-pots wrote:Just to confuses matters - a Guernsey Pottery vase in black!

Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 100_0410

Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 100_0412

I quite like the form, but overall I rather their "tourist tat" geek

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 Empty Re: Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands)

Post by dantheman January 18th 2013, 12:21 pm

I used to buy Guernsey 5 or 6 years ago and could spot it from 50 yards,after that I moved on the Chelsea which I found slightly less easy to spot but I would never confuse the two as the glazes are so different

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty January 18th 2013, 12:29 pm

dantheman wrote:I used to buy Guernsey 5 or 6 years ago and could spot it from 50 yards,after that I moved on the Chelsea which I found slightly less easy to spot but I would never confuse the two as the glazes are so different

What's your opinion on Naomi's dish Dan?

I prefer Chelsea generally, just because their designs are generally birds/animals and often comical.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots January 18th 2013, 12:30 pm

Potty wrote:
studio-pots wrote:Just to confuses matters - a Guernsey Pottery vase in black!

Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 100_0410

Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 100_0412

I quite like the form, but overall I rather their "tourist tat" geek

It is very Anglo-Oriental in shape and the explanation may or may not be due to the following reference I found regarding an ex-Leach Pottery potter, Michael Cartwright.

Around 1980 he found " a position in the Channel Islands at the Guernsey Pottery, where he had the task of training a team of proficient throwers and to switch production from slip cast to thrown ware, and redesigning a stoneware and earthenware range."

Differences over the years might be explained by different people running the pottery.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 18th 2013, 12:38 pm

Potty wrote:
NaomiM wrote:The other one it's similar to is Wellhouse pottery Paignton, Devon. The Guernsey cat dish I picked up at Woking recently I thought was Wellhouse. The dealer had id-ed it as Guernsey despite it not having a mark, and he's a fellow collector so I've no reason to doubt him, but...

I have doubts about your cat dish being Guernsey too Excellent Does he specifically collect Guernsey pottery? As most dealers at fairs seem to just write names on stickers to help sell their unknown pots... Laughter

It's a very nice design though, I'd have been very tempted myself Happy

He and his wife collect studio pottery and sell their surplus stuff when they need the room. I'm sure I've seen the cat design before, though, and not necessarily attributed to Guernsey.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty January 18th 2013, 12:51 pm

NaomiM wrote:
He and his wife collect studio pottery and sell their surplus stuff when they need the room. I'm sure I've seen the cat design before, though, and not necessarily attributed to Guernsey.

I think a few pottery's have done quite similar cat designs.

Having looked up slab built Guernsey pieces on ebay, looks like they are right anyway, though I would have expected it to be signed.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 18th 2013, 1:07 pm

Potty wrote:
NaomiM wrote:

I think a few pottery's have done quite similar cat designs.

Having looked up slab built Guernsey pieces on ebay, looks like they are right anyway, though I would have expected it to be signed.

Seen a few now with that colour glaze, and there's currently a signed Guernsey Pottery dish with a fox design on ebay that has exactly the same back as mine, so feeling more confident about the attribution.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman January 18th 2013, 1:22 pm

Potty wrote:
dantheman wrote:I used to buy Guernsey 5 or 6 years ago and could spot it from 50 yards,after that I moved on the Chelsea which I found slightly less easy to spot but I would never confuse the two as the glazes are so different

I prefer Chelsea generally, just because their designs are generally birds/animals and often comical.

I think it was probably made in Devon

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 18th 2013, 1:30 pm

dantheman wrote:
Potty wrote:

I think it was probably made in Devon

D'oh. Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman January 18th 2013, 1:39 pm

I have seen lots of bowls with the same underbelly and glaze,I was at that time trying to work out the differences between Wellhouse and similar pottery made in the same county

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 18th 2013, 10:46 pm

Spotted this Guernsey prawn dish in one of the local charity shops. Not to my taste. Cheeky

Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 Img_0423

Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 Img_0424

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 31st 2013, 4:13 pm

Guernsey hand bell (decoration/glaze reminds me of Chelsea Pottery).
Stamped Guernsey Pottery inside.

Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 Dscn9526

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 Empty Guernsey Pottery cat dish

Post by Sara B March 29th 2016, 2:21 pm

Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 Img_0011
This is a dark brown glaze on a heavy terracotta base with a cream design. It is about 5 " x 11.5 ". On the bottom is written "Guernsey Pottery" and then the initials DC, intertwined. It does have a chip in the bottom left corner. It is a bit off the wall but I really like it. Found this morning in local charity shop for £1.50. I can't find much about the pottery on the web and would be interested in any responses.
Sara B
Sara B

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 29th 2016, 3:00 pm

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara B March 29th 2016, 3:04 pm

Oh yes, for sure! Many thanks. I had looked at that earlier on and am interested that they make such a range of items.
Sara B
Sara B

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 29th 2016, 3:07 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Sara. If possible, it would be good to see a picture of the base.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara B March 29th 2016, 3:14 pm

I had a bit of trouble uploading that image but I will give it a go!
Sara B
Sara B

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 29th 2016, 3:22 pm

Practice makes perfect. Cheeky

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara B March 29th 2016, 3:59 pm

Goodness me. That took a while. Here is my cat's bottom, so to speak... Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 Img_0012
Sara B
Sara B

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 29th 2016, 9:02 pm

Looks right to me. All the ones I've seen have either been signed like this or stamped Guernsey Pottery

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 29th 2016, 9:16 pm

I think this Forum has more information than anywhere but there is a lack of names of potters, who worked there.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 Empty SLIPWARE PLATE - possibly Guernsey Pottery

Post by olipayton November 25th 2017, 12:21 pm

Hi everyone. I picked this up the other day a nice dish with a fish design. The back is quite distinctive as it red clay over painted in brown. We are pretty sure the lower word is POTTERY - any direction signals would be appreciated

Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 Sam_7011
Guernsey Pottery (Channel Islands) - Page 2 Sam_7010
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 25th 2017, 3:09 pm

I think it's either Guernsey or Nairn Pottery. They have very similar backs etc. - edited to say I think it's Guernsey because of a similar dish with a lobster

Last edited by NaomiM on January 30th 2018, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by bluenote November 26th 2017, 3:16 pm

Have you tried pressing blue tac into the impressed mark to see if it comes out any clearer on the blue tac
bluenote
bluenote

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2017-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by olipayton November 26th 2017, 6:21 pm

Hi Thank you for your replies, the mark is pretty well obscured but I did think it began with a G.
Being a novice to this very enjoyable and equally frustrating game of hide the pottery, I had nt come across this type of Guernsey ware before. I associated the island with pottery cows and butter dishes!
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum