Is This Early Iden Pottery Sussex Mark On Footed Bowl

3 posters

Go down

Is This Early Iden Pottery Sussex Mark On Footed Bowl Empty Is This Early Iden Pottery Sussex Mark On Footed Bowl

Post by chip69 March 5th 2024, 9:45 am

Hi All

I have this lovely 1950s looking scaffito dish - I think it reads Iden Sx on the base.

Is this Iden Pottery ( Rye ) Sussex?

TIA

Kind Regards

Chip

Is This Early Iden Pottery Sussex Mark On Footed Bowl Img_3313

Is This Early Iden Pottery Sussex Mark On Footed Bowl Img_3311
Is This Early Iden Pottery Sussex Mark On Footed Bowl Img_3312
chip69
chip69

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2019-01-10

Back to top Go down

Is This Early Iden Pottery Sussex Mark On Footed Bowl Empty Re: Is This Early Iden Pottery Sussex Mark On Footed Bowl

Post by denbydump March 5th 2024, 2:51 pm

It may be, but there is no mark shown in the Rye book like this.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7219
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Is This Early Iden Pottery Sussex Mark On Footed Bowl Empty Re: Is This Early Iden Pottery Sussex Mark On Footed Bowl

Post by studio-pots March 6th 2024, 5:46 pm

The Carol Cashmore book that DD refers to was researched and written in the 1990s when many of the people were still with us. It suggests to me that it isn't "early" if it is from the pottery started by Dennis Townsend in 1959. Dennis named the pottery Iden, after the village where he lived but for almost all of its life it was based in Rye. There had been a pottery or potteries in Iden before Dennis started his but not for many a year, so it is unlikely to be from one of those.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chip69 March 6th 2024, 7:25 pm

Hi Studio Pots and Denby Dump.

Thanks for this, is it possible then that it's a Dennis Townsend piece from around the time he started his Eden Pottery? I sent photographs to a knowledgeable seller and she said she sold a vase with the same decoration to a collector and thought it was by Dennis Townsend

If it is by Dennis Townsend when he started Iden Pottery does that not make it early?

Kind Regards

Chip
chip69
chip69

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 9th 2024, 8:46 am

The reason why I suggest that it isn't "early" Iden pottery is that when Carol Cashmore researched her book, Dennis Townsend was around and supplied information directly to Carol for the book, including details of all of the marks that he used. At that point there is no mention of anything marked like this. Now it is possible that he completely forgot about making a few pieces with this mark but without any evidence from the man himself there is no way of knowing.

I don't know if he is still alive and, if he is, don't know how to contact him. However, that is really the only route to get a definitive answer.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chip69 March 9th 2024, 9:27 am

Morning Studio Pots

Thanks for this info - all very intriguing! I really love this dish so it's now in my living room and looking fab. Yet another car boot mystery in the house!

Kind Regards

Chip
chip69
chip69

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum