St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada?

2 posters

Go down

St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada? Empty St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada?

Post by Neil62 March 4th 2024, 5:32 pm

St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada? Img_9611
St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada? Img_9612
St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada? Img_9610
Good afternoon,
I recently bought these three auctions in the same lot together with some old Leach pottery books / pamphlets from 1952-1962.
I bought them because I believed they were by Atsuya Hamada and comparing the pourers from those sold by Richard Batterham’s Durweston estate I believe there is a case to be made but wondered what your views are whether in agreement or not.
They are most certainly not Leach Standardware but all of them have the St Ives leach stamp together with the England stamp.
Thoughts?
Neil62
Neil62

Male Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2022-04-04

Back to top Go down

St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada? Empty Re: St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada?

Post by Neil62 March 4th 2024, 5:33 pm

BowlSt Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada? Img_9613
St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada? Img_9615
St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada? Img_9614
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada? Empty Re: St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada?

Post by Neil62 March 4th 2024, 5:34 pm

Cut sides vase / bottle St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada? Img_9618
St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada? Img_9617
St Ives Leach pottery …..Atsuya Hamada? Img_9616
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 4th 2024, 7:02 pm

The pieces at Wooley and Wallis last year were very similar. Equally teapot is incredibly unusal for for St Ives. The pieces at wooley and wallis.
https://www.woolleyandwallis.co.uk/departments/20th-century-design/da230323/?p=1&s=40&v=list&q=HAMADA#lot-513

philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6400
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 4th 2024, 7:39 pm

I suppose you also have to look at the student potters that were there in the 1958/59 period, who also had the talent to produce this, Scott Marshall, Derek Emms, Anne Kjaersagaard, Richard Batterham, Helena Klugg, Gwyn Hannsen Pigott,John Reeve, Mansinram Singh, Richard Jenkins, Byron Temple.
Born in 1931,Astuya Hamada would have been 26/27 when he worked at St Ives. Is this the work of a potter of that age?
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 March 4th 2024, 7:48 pm

Well the one he produced which Batterham had according to his notes was one Atsuya produced in 1957 so yes definitely!
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 March 4th 2024, 7:50 pm

Atsuya Hamada (1932-1986)a stoneware teapot and cover, ovoid with side handle, covered in a tenmoku glaze,unsigned10cm. high (2) ProvenanceThe Estate of Richard Batterham. Catalogue notesRichard Batterham recalls this was the first side-handled teapot Atsuya made, in 1957.
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 March 4th 2024, 7:52 pm

That was from the auction you identified at W & W
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 5th 2024, 7:38 am

I think you were dead right with the teapots. But stylistically, the cut sided vase looks completely wrong. The bowl looks promising as well. There are a couple of Atsuya Hamada pieces shown in the Whybrow book.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 March 5th 2024, 8:08 am

Hi Philpot,
I concluded something similar largely because the sample of comparable known work is limited for the cut sided example compared with the tea pot / bowl.
Those two do sit well together and the thin incised rings on the bowl are found on some of his other work.
I think they were all from the same time frame
I like the vase the best of the three pieces. I haven’t got the potters knowledge or expertise and I can only look at known examples and naively compare them with mine. I looked at the examples in the Whybrow book but they are very different. Hard to tell but interesting nevertheless.
Thanks for your assistance
Neil62
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 5th 2024, 8:11 am

Is that vase Salt glazed?
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 March 5th 2024, 8:41 am

Yes it is and I know that Leach had a kiln used for salt glazing which I have considered - it apparently was hardly used!
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 5th 2024, 8:59 am

Now that is interesting. In Emmanuel Cooper's BERNARD LEACH book. On page 289 he says Bernard Leach had 'A one person show at Primavera. 'Stoneware and Porcelain' included Salt glaze' Cooper also quotes a review in Pottery Quarterly describing the salt glaze..
'Not be to be sufficiently clean and profiled' ... ' with a Rather starved glaze'
The exhibition was in March 1958.
Bernard?
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 March 5th 2024, 9:21 am

Philpot - you are very studious young fellow.
Interesting thought.
Mmm - I’ll ponder that one - I love research / investigation but hate going down a rabbit hole - if you know what I mean. 
The interesting thing is that there were a couple of pamphlets / old books which came in the lot relating to BL (potters book) and the same vendor submitted a jam pot by BL (the iconic one) which I bid on but thought it went for too much and this lot was on the rebound from that though I had seen the photographs of the Durweston tea pots and thought it worthwhile as a punt if for nothing else to further my education - bit like the Cardew pot!
The pamphlet by BL written in 1952 crystallised in my mind what I thought about the Oak leaf on standard ware being incised by BL (something remarked upon by Warren McKenzie in the Marty Goss film). 
In the pamphlet there are several photographs of his work and descriptions. The descriptions identify work at Leach who they were designed and produced by. There is a celadon porcelain tea service with the oak leaf on the tea pot. BL relates to it as ‘designed’ by BL whereas for example the pagoda decoration on a Leach bud vase ‘designed & decorated’ by BL.
All good
Thanks for the thought and conversation
Kind regards
Neil62
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum