Large unglazed bowl ID please. JM mark - Jon Middlemiss

3 posters

Go down

Large unglazed bowl ID please. JM mark - Jon Middlemiss  Empty Large unglazed bowl ID please. JM mark - Jon Middlemiss

Post by Tack February 16th 2024, 2:46 pm

Hello, I am new. I would dearly like help identifying one of my 21st birthday gifts from 40 years ago please. It was bought in southern England and I have always assumed it was new then. The bowl is 35cm diameter and 7cm high. The decoration is done as though a layer has been removed to show a different colour of a layer beneath. The colours in the triangles are slightly metallic. The bowl feels relatively light and I have always felt it is thin and delicate but it has survived for so long so perhaps isn't!Large unglazed bowl ID please. JM mark - Jon Middlemiss  20220613
Large unglazed bowl ID please. JM mark - Jon Middlemiss  20220614Large unglazed bowl ID please. JM mark - Jon Middlemiss  20220615
Large unglazed bowl ID please. JM mark - Jon Middlemiss  20220617
Tack
Tack

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2024-02-16

Back to top Go down

Large unglazed bowl ID please. JM mark - Jon Middlemiss  Empty Re: Large unglazed bowl ID please. JM mark - Jon Middlemiss

Post by NaomiM February 16th 2024, 9:44 pm

It’s a lovely bowl. Unfortunately I can’t make out the mark from the photo; nothing is coming up for M. Would help if you can get a closer photo of the mark

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31503
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Large unglazed bowl ID please. JM mark - Jon Middlemiss  Empty Re: Large unglazed bowl ID please. JM mark - Jon Middlemiss

Post by Tack February 17th 2024, 9:36 am

Thank you for looking NaomiM. I hope these pics are better. I can't be sure it's an M even looking at it directly because of that leading 'tail' or maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way upLarge unglazed bowl ID please. JM mark - Jon Middlemiss  Whatsa12
Large unglazed bowl ID please. JM mark - Jon Middlemiss  Whatsa13
Tack
Tack

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 17th 2024, 10:07 am

It’s JM. My first thought was Jon Middlemiss; it’s the sort of bowl he’d do. But it’s not one of the marks I have for him. It might be an unrecorded mark, or someone else entirely

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tack February 17th 2024, 10:17 am

Oh my goodness, that sounds familiar, I'm sure you are right. Thank you so much
Tack
Tack

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot February 17th 2024, 12:42 pm

In this link just below the photo on the front page, you can a similat bowl. https://www.middlemissart.com/

On the other hand, Jon Middlemiss pots are nearly all very light and delicate looking for their size. They feel super in the hand. This clay looks not quite right. As you say, the mark is not one of his recorded ones.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6399
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 17th 2024, 5:25 pm

I think it must be by him. Sadly he died a few years ago

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tack February 17th 2024, 5:37 pm

Thank you both for your interest. With other family corroborating evidence I am as sure as I can be now that this is a Middlemiss bowl. It will have been an early piece and I have found another mark similar in my searches. The bowl is very light as I said and the mark is tiny so the close ups look a bit rough. I am very grateful for your expertise, thank you.
Tack
Tack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum