Pep and John Branfield auction at David Lay’s Feb. 29

4 posters

Go down

Pep and John Branfield auction at David Lay’s Feb. 29 Empty Pep and John Branfield auction at David Lay’s Feb. 29

Post by NaomiM Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:30 am

Ceramics start at Lot 114

https://www.davidlay.co.uk/auction/details/p0jpb-the-art-collection-of-pep-and-john-branfield/?au=285

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31091
Registration date : 2012-05-16

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Pep and John Branfield auction at David Lay’s Feb. 29 Empty Re: Pep and John Branfield auction at David Lay’s Feb. 29

Post by philpot Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:11 am

I was looking at that earlier on. A lot of nice paintings. Also a superior selection of St Ives greats. The couple of Janet Leach pieces look super. A very Cornish collection!
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6241
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Pep and John Branfield auction at David Lay’s Feb. 29 Empty Re: Pep and John Branfield auction at David Lay’s Feb. 29

Post by croker Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:24 pm

A nicely curated collection, this shows how an excellent collection can be formed on a limited budget over a number of years. There are no really outstanding examples but good carefully selected mid range pieces by important artists, The ceramics also are are slightly above the norm with good examples from Janet leach, Marshall and others. My pick of the paintings would be the three by John wells.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:17 pm

The Janet Leach pieces are probably the best individual selection in one auction for some substantial time. A number of the estimates are £1000+. Way back in 2011 one of her pieces fetched £3800. One wonders where these will end up?
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:37 pm

When Janet Leach got my attention a couple of years ago i decided to put together a small collection of her work but soon found out that ''all of her geese are not swans'' (a slightly altered quote from Bill Ismay). Janet was very 'productive' and this shows on quite a number of her pots, on Ebay for example there are a number of mediocre pots of hers . I think the estimates on her pots in this sale are quite punchy but one in particular grabs my attention lot 115 , this pot sold for £1080 in 2007 and has exhibition status
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:01 am

Yes, I see that it was on loan to the Leach pottery for a couple of years. Do you think that exhibition provenance adds much to the final price? We never really thought about that when we were buying ourselves. Just bought stuff we liked.
The estimates on Michael Cardew would indicate that demand for his work seems to be declining sharply.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:30 am

I don't think that it makes too much difference to the price but the provenance of having exhibition status or from a famous collection is always nice to have. I think Michael Cardew is gradually losing ground ,possibly because his ware seems a little 'folksy' to a lot of collectors. I know that Janet Leach was reluctant to sell what she classed as exhibition pieces through the pottery showroom , this was told to me by an old acquaintance of hers in St Ives.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:06 pm

croker wrote: I know that Janet Leach was reluctant to sell what she classed as exhibition pieces through the pottery showroom , this was told to me by an old acquaintance of hers in St Ives.

Back in the day, and my day too, potters almost always would never sell their exhibition pieces through their own showrooms or at Fairs and would never include items in their exhibitions with me that they didn't believe deserved to be there. That suited me and collectors but that all changed really when Goldmark began exhibiting and wanted far more pots that the usual exhibition number of 60 to 70 pots. Two of the potters that showed with him actually said that it now means that exhibitions of new work are more about selling quantity than showing quality.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7804
Registration date : 2011-02-18

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum