Saki anyone? inscribed sig, PL mark?

3 posters

Go down

Saki anyone? inscribed sig, PL mark?  Empty Saki anyone? inscribed sig, PL mark?

Post by Tictac January 15th 2024, 12:46 pm

Intriguing shape.

Saki anyone? inscribed sig, PL mark?  Pxl_2035
Saki anyone? inscribed sig, PL mark?  Pxl_2036
Saki anyone? inscribed sig, PL mark?  Pxl_2034Saki anyone? inscribed sig, PL mark?  Pxl_2037
Tictac
Tictac

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2023-09-15

Back to top Go down

Saki anyone? inscribed sig, PL mark?  Empty Re: Saki anyone? inscribed sig, PL mark?

Post by NaomiM January 15th 2024, 12:47 pm

Looks like a student piece

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31598
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Saki anyone? inscribed sig, PL mark?  Empty Re: Saki anyone? inscribed sig, PL mark?

Post by Tictac January 15th 2024, 1:02 pm

Thanks Naomi. My photos definitely are not the most complimentary of it. I have just started picking up odd pots and need to get more experience in understanding techniques to help me assess the quality of the work. As someone that has stayed in the factory world where finish is easy to see. The world of Wonky pots and artistic freedom to create what they feel is a bit daunting when trying to gauge quality.
Tictac
Tictac

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2023-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot January 15th 2024, 1:11 pm

But a Pot made by a Professional studio potter should never ever be wonky! Because every 'wonky' pot is either useless or sold as a seconds. Which means less money for them. if literally you are buying wonky pots, then you are simply wasting your money. No matter how cheap they may be.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6449
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 15th 2024, 1:16 pm

When I pick up a pot I check several things:
Is it pinchpot, slab built, slip moulded or thrown - students often start with a pinch pot.  
The balance and base finish - is it bottom heavy and are there drying or firing cracks?
The glaze - is it uneven, pitted or bubbly?
The mark - does it look professional or student? Convention in the UK is to use a stamp, although a large minority sign or otherwise mark their pots.
No one thing determines whether it's a professional piece, hobby potter or student, but three or more things can point to the probability that it's a student piece. A couple of things and it may be a hobby potter - some are highly professional but don't have to make a living from it so don't have the wealth of throwing and firing experience that a professional has, and play safe with their glaze choices. But it's a sliding scale between them all, and there are a lot of inexperienced professional potters out there too.
A lot of professional potters make wonderfully wonky pots - just look at Peter Smith

Last edited by NaomiM on January 15th 2024, 1:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot January 15th 2024, 1:33 pm

I have a couple of Peter Smith. Idiosyncratic they might well be. Poorly made they are not!
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6449
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 15th 2024, 1:45 pm

What about Charles Bound, or Simon Carroll then. You'd need to be told they’re professional potters if you're not an experienced collector

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum