Davison & Sons - Can’t Distinguish One Marking Please.

4 posters

Go down

Davison & Sons - Can’t Distinguish One Marking Please. Empty Davison & Sons - Can’t Distinguish One Marking Please.

Post by JamieZ January 12th 2024, 9:29 pm

Happy New Year,
  I bought the plates / cups the other day, it’s a hobby I have to collect & research afterwards. I’ve tried googling what I can but I can’t find anything near resembling for Davison & Sons nor can I really find much about the pottery. I read the ‘B’ marking means it’s around the 1940’s WWII?

I came on here to ask if anyone can make out what another mark shows. I can read ‘9 A’, I can see ‘MADE IN ENGLAND’ mark & there’s something that looks like ‘MOORCROFT’ or like that. 

It’s very limited information regarding Davison & Son so I would appreciate to learn more if anyone has some wisdom please or a website. Is there a reason why there’s not much info / sale history online?

Kind regards,
Jamie
JamieZ
JamieZ

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2023-12-31

Back to top Go down

Davison & Sons - Can’t Distinguish One Marking Please. Empty Re: Davison & Sons - Can’t Distinguish One Marking Please.

Post by JamieZ January 12th 2024, 9:29 pm

Davison & Sons - Can’t Distinguish One Marking Please. Img_1016
JamieZ
JamieZ

Back to top Go down

Davison & Sons - Can’t Distinguish One Marking Please. Empty Re: Davison & Sons - Can’t Distinguish One Marking Please.

Post by JamieZ January 12th 2024, 9:30 pm

Davison & Sons - Can’t Distinguish One Marking Please. Img_1017
Davison & Sons - Can’t Distinguish One Marking Please. Img_1018
JamieZ
JamieZ

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieZ January 12th 2024, 9:30 pm

Davison & Sons - Can’t Distinguish One Marking Please. Img_1020
Davison & Sons - Can’t Distinguish One Marking Please. Img_1019
JamieZ
JamieZ

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieZ January 12th 2024, 9:32 pm

I could not resist buying the set. Beautiful painted individual feathers that are different on each plate & demitasses.

I can’t wait to discover more! Thank you once again.

Kind regards,
Jamie
JamieZ
JamieZ

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots January 13th 2024, 2:30 pm

You seem to have listed several different makes of pottery together here.

If you require identifications of them or wish to share information of others then can you list each separately please?

John - Consultant

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieZ January 13th 2024, 2:38 pm

Sorry John,

I presumed the demitasse’s were part of the plates but have a different marking as shown. The cups are same pattern, everything but obviously a different marking as shown. I bought all together a lot & the design is exactly the same however marking is very much different.

Kind regards,
JamieZ
JamieZ

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump January 13th 2024, 4:23 pm

Goddens has Davison & Son, Burslem, Staffs c1898-1952.

The other pieces are certainly by Moorcroft. Probably a special order, similar to
the "Powder blue" range for Liberty.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7236
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieZ January 13th 2024, 7:44 pm

Fantastic. Thank you for the information.
JamieZ
JamieZ

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump January 13th 2024, 8:52 pm

There is of course the possibilty they were bought as blanks, and decorated elsewhere,
as the patterns seem identical on all pieces.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7236
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieZ January 13th 2024, 9:14 pm

They are identical as you say with patterns & the theme.

I will add them to our collection, thank you. I’m doubtful they hold much value money wise but they will be used at some point in the future in their new home. 😃

Kind regards,
Jamie
JamieZ
JamieZ

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots January 14th 2024, 10:42 pm

JamieZ wrote:Sorry John,

I presumed the demitasse’s were part of the plates but have a different marking as shown. The cups are same pattern, everything but obviously a different marking as shown. I bought all together a lot & the design is exactly the same however marking is very much different.

Kind regards,

Sorry I mis-understood.

Regarding the Davison mark with a B below...

In 1942, maximum retail prices were set and letters such as A, B or C incorporated in the backstamp. So it appears to have been made during the Second World War or afterwards when restrictions were in place, which might explain the mix of marks.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot January 15th 2024, 9:55 am

Denby mentions Goddens. If you are interested in researching older British Pottery and marks then this book is the main resource centre. Giving far more information than you will find online. It is normally available fairly cheaply from Booksearch and the like.
THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BRITISH POTTERY AND PORCELAIN MARKS by Geoffrey Godden. Published by Barry Jenkins. Best Print is the 1991 edition with corrections,
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6449
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum