Maker's/decorator's mark on humourous faience candlesticks (from Desvres?)

3 posters

Go down

Maker's/decorator's mark on humourous faience candlesticks (from Desvres?) Empty Re: Maker's/decorator's mark on humourous faience candlesticks (from Desvres?)

Post by itsneil January 10th 2024, 11:13 am

Hello, I have some faience candlesticks that I beleive are from Desvres. Does anyone recognise the mark on the base?

My reason for thinking they are from Desvres is this blogpost that features what seem to be identical candlesticks. But the mark described on that blogpost (which is not pictured), which apparently reads 'J.O.' does not seem to correspond to mine, which I would guess reads 'F.G.' or 'G.F.'

Can anyone shed any light? The mark on the base of both figures is identical.

Maker's/decorator's mark on humourous faience candlesticks (from Desvres?) 1_base10
Maker's/decorator's mark on humourous faience candlesticks (from Desvres?) 1_fron10
Maker's/decorator's mark on humourous faience candlesticks (from Desvres?) 2_fron10
itsneil
itsneil

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2024-01-10

Back to top Go down

Maker's/decorator's mark on humourous faience candlesticks (from Desvres?) Empty Re: Maker's/decorator's mark on humourous faience candlesticks (from Desvres?)

Post by denbydump January 11th 2024, 12:14 am

Not a mark I have seen before. Yes most likely French faience, but never seen
figure like this, maybe modern, the orange colour is not typical.

May have to split this to ID my pottery
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7236
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 11th 2024, 1:43 am

They look like a pair of music hall comedians; maybe the ones that did the Egyptian sand dance. They might be 1930s. Possibly a decorator’s mark on the base

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31598
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Maker's/decorator's mark on humourous faience candlesticks (from Desvres?) Empty Desvres?

Post by itsneil January 11th 2024, 11:35 am

Thankyou denbydump and NaomiM.

The blogpost I mentioned (I can see the link didn't make the final version of my post) can be found by googling "Humorous Moustiers Candlesticks Make a Political Statement". Amusingly, the subject is apparently that of a doctor about to give a patient an enema.

The photograph in that blogpost shows what seem to be an identical pair.

I had not realised that there could be both makers' and decorators' marks NaomiM.
itsneil
itsneil

Back to top Go down

Maker's/decorator's mark on humourous faience candlesticks (from Desvres?) Empty Maker's/decorator's mark on humourous faience candlesticks (from Desvres?)

Post by itsneil January 11th 2024, 11:42 am

I was told were italian representations of Punch and Judy but now believe to be french faience depicting a doctor about to give an apprehensive patient an enema.

A blogpost titled "Humorous Moustiers Candlesticks Make a Political Statement" (easily googleable) shows a photograph of what look to be an identical pair, which the blog author say are from 1930s Desvres.

itsneil
itsneil

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump January 11th 2024, 12:39 pm

I think the mark is shown upside down, and although not in my book,
might possibly be a mark for Gabriel Fourmaintraux. GF.

Although more noted for "decor Rouen", Faience styles from other regions
were also made at Desvres, including Moustiers.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump January 12th 2024, 5:50 pm

A modern Desvres "Moustiers" style wall plate. Decor Moustiers usually has birds, and
the foliage is greener, so maybe just a pared-down Decor "Rouen", as the decoration
itself would not be so important on items like these.

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t16431-faiences-de-desvres-france#159479

Is there any decoration on the backs?
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by itsneil January 13th 2024, 11:56 am

Yes denby, thanks, here are pictures of the backs:

Maker's/decorator's mark on humourous faience candlesticks (from Desvres?) 1_rear10
Maker's/decorator's mark on humourous faience candlesticks (from Desvres?) 2_rear10
itsneil
itsneil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum