H mark, John Hudson (not Wetheriggs)

4 posters

Go down

H mark, John Hudson  (not Wetheriggs) Empty H mark, John Hudson (not Wetheriggs)

Post by Birky November 4th 2023, 10:36 am

A nice slipware mug I picked up recently. Looks very much like Wetheriggs but no hint of any mark indicating that it is. There is however what appears to be an impressed H on the base. I would be grateful for any input.

9cm tall, 8.5cm diameter rim, 5.5cm diameter base, 11cm maximum width including hand;e, weighs 200g.

Thank you in anticipation
Birky
Birky

Male Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2020-11-01

Back to top Go down

H mark, John Hudson  (not Wetheriggs) Empty Re: H mark, John Hudson (not Wetheriggs)

Post by Birky November 4th 2023, 10:37 am

H mark, John Hudson  (not Wetheriggs) Img20231
H mark, John Hudson  (not Wetheriggs) Img20232
H mark, John Hudson  (not Wetheriggs) Img20233
Birky
Birky

Back to top Go down

H mark, John Hudson  (not Wetheriggs) Empty Re: H mark, John Hudson (not Wetheriggs)

Post by philpot November 4th 2023, 11:31 am

Is the decoration painted on or slip trailed? Post 1973 they made lots of mugs in 2 sizes. But the decoration was painted on. Given this one looks quite 'new' it would probably be from that production. The H is a bit of a problem tho. H was a rare mark used by Harold Thorburn when he first took over the pottery in the early 50's.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6451
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 4th 2023, 11:46 am

Possibly John Hudson who used single and multiple H stamps on his pots

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31603
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots November 4th 2023, 12:59 pm

I have no doubt that it was made by John Hudson. I met him a couple of times and bought a number of pieces from him.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Birky November 4th 2023, 9:13 pm

Definately Slip trailed. Jon Hudson would make sense, purchased from a charity shop in Bradford.
Birky
Birky

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots November 5th 2023, 9:44 am

John made all kinds of earthenware, including copies of large Thomas Toft chargers. These were generally for the National Trust/English Heritage, who had the originals but they were far too valuable to have on display.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum