Two bird pitchers decor main 17cm tall ?Vallauris?

3 posters

Go down

Two bird pitchers decor main 17cm tall ?Vallauris? Empty Two bird pitchers decor main 17cm tall ?Vallauris?

Post by Mandaj July 5th 2023, 11:28 am

I would appreciate any thoughts on these two bird-shaped pitchers. They are 17cm tall and each has DECOR MAIN stamped in the base. The one with the wood-chopper has a sticker with 'Ste Agnes' on it, just below the eye. Each is signed by a different painter, one Sonia, the other Diana. Is that a hint of a maker's mark on the base?
Thank-you.

Two bird pitchers decor main 17cm tall ?Vallauris? Two_va10
Two bird pitchers decor main 17cm tall ?Vallauris? Two_va11
Two bird pitchers decor main 17cm tall ?Vallauris? Bottom10
Two bird pitchers decor main 17cm tall ?Vallauris? Diana10
Two bird pitchers decor main 17cm tall ?Vallauris? Sonia10
Mandaj
Mandaj

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2023-05-21

Back to top Go down

Two bird pitchers decor main 17cm tall ?Vallauris? Empty Re: Two bird pitchers decor main 17cm tall ?Vallauris?

Post by PhilosophiaSB July 5th 2023, 12:24 pm

it seems that some of the sellers attribute these items to the Vallauris workshops , some of them are holding back of telling a certain name.
anyway, as i understood, most of this kind of pitchers are depicting Lascaux Cave images.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/373702132064
https://picclick.fr/Tr%C3%A8s-Original-pichet-Vallauris-D%C3%A9cor-Rupestre-394691119132.html
https://picclick.fr/PICHET-ANNEES-50-CERAMIQUE-DECOR-CERF-OEIL-ET-266192385534.html
PhilosophiaSB
PhilosophiaSB

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2022-07-15

Back to top Go down

Two bird pitchers decor main 17cm tall ?Vallauris? Empty Re: Two bird pitchers decor main 17cm tall ?Vallauris?

Post by PhilosophiaSB July 5th 2023, 12:33 pm

what i personally think is that these pitchers maker(s) - which i think that are more workers of the same workshop -  they was influenced somehow (or tried to imitate ) by Picasso's work , who, we know, he carried out most of his activity as a ceramist in  Vallauris.

l.e. i read Diana and Sonia as signatures
PhilosophiaSB
PhilosophiaSB

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot July 5th 2023, 12:50 pm

My first thought on seeing these was Tourist souvenir work for the Lascaux caves.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6449
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilosophiaSB July 5th 2023, 1:11 pm

"Ste Agnes" comes from Sainte Agnes, a village in the same region , 64 km distance to Vallauris.
i ' ve looked for Ste Agnes ceramics and, although there are few old workshops there, i couldn't find anything looking near these pitchers.

i would rather think that the sticker is from a seller, like a souvenir boutique and not from a producer.
PhilosophiaSB
PhilosophiaSB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum