"Crucifixion" by the artist Cleverdon?

2 posters

Go down

"Crucifixion" by the artist Cleverdon?  Empty "Crucifixion" by the artist Cleverdon?

Post by worried_narwhal June 20th 2023, 10:48 pm

I recently acquired this work and have been trying to find additional information about it with little success. At first I thought it was done by a Douglas Cleverdon because images in a similar style come up with his name. Through more digging I found that he was a biographer and collaborator with the artist David Jones and (possibly) Erik Gill. I don't know if this work is by either of them or if Cleverdon tried his hand at his own original piece. I can't find any version of this online, and I'm not fully sure if this is by someone else named Cleverdon. I decided to open the backing and found its on a thin piece of cut paper.

"Crucifixion" by the artist Cleverdon?  Pxl_2015
"Crucifixion" by the artist Cleverdon?  Pxl_2014
"Crucifixion" by the artist Cleverdon?  Pxl_2013
worried_narwhal
worried_narwhal

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2023-06-20

Back to top Go down

"Crucifixion" by the artist Cleverdon?  Empty Re: "Crucifixion" by the artist Cleverdon?

Post by studio-pots June 21st 2023, 9:45 pm

In the 2 volume second edition of "Artists in Britain since 1945" by David Buckman there is no entry for anyone with the surname of Cleverdon in the 14,500 + entries. People always miss the net but I think if Douglas Cleverdon had done a little printmaking then, being well known, he would have been included.

The only other mention of an artist with that surname I could find was a John Cleverdon, Assistant Professor of Art at Jacksonville State College (now Jacksonville State University), who was working around 1959 when your print was produced.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

"Crucifixion" by the artist Cleverdon?  Empty Re: "Crucifixion" by the artist Cleverdon?

Post by worried_narwhal June 21st 2023, 10:50 pm

studio-pots wrote:In the 2 volume second edition of "Artists in Britain since 1945" by David Buckman there is no entry for anyone with the surname of Cleverdon in the 14,500 + entries. People always miss the net but I think if Douglas Cleverdon had done a little printmaking then, being well known, he would have been included.

The only other mention of an artist with that surname I could find was a John Cleverdon, Assistant Professor of Art at Jacksonville State College (now Jacksonville State University), who was working around 1959 when your print was produced.

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it! I'm not sure why I fixated so much on Douglas and didn't think to further my scope. I still can't find matching works by John Cleverdon, but I did send a message to the Mobile Museum of Art since he resided in and participated in the art community there.
worried_narwhal
worried_narwhal

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2023-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum