Leach pottery but who??

2 posters

Go down

Leach pottery but who?? Empty Leach pottery but who??

Post by Neil62 May 13th 2023, 7:41 pm

Leach pottery but who?? Image51
Leach pottery but who?? Image50
Leach pottery but who?? Image49Good evening,

I’m not obsessed with Warren Mackenzie but in my research regarding the origins of another piece I noticed some similarities between other pots known to be by Mackenzie and this one.
I am not a potter so it may be I am missing something obvious which means my suggestion is rubbish but I would like to put forward my thoughts for discussion.
Firstly I realise it’s not to everyone’s taste!
I’ll say it’s a biscuit barrel - the stepped cut sides are unusual in the pottery I’ve seen produced at Leach and whilst there is a clear Leach pottery mark but no personal mark. My understanding was that Mackenzie and Alix went there in 1950 and were taken on as apprentices but were also given free reign to work on other projects as well as standard ware which this most certainly is not.
I have seen the mark he made whilst at St Ives and clearly this hasn’t got it but I believe he attended a few times.
I’m a little put out by the colour of the knob on the lid but the glaze colouration, it’s application internally and the stepped cut decoration are similar to the other pots I’ve seen produced by Mackenzie.
Happy to be shot down on this occasion but at least I can put the thought to bed!!
Neil62
Neil62

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2022-04-04

Back to top Go down

Leach pottery but who?? Empty Re: Leach pottery but who??

Post by Neil62 May 13th 2023, 7:45 pm

Some of the evidence - there were other pieces with similar glazing and drip patterns on the steps.Leach pottery but who?? Img_2510
Neil62
Neil62

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2022-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 13th 2023, 10:04 pm

One of the recent potters, imo. Maybe Roelof Uys

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31867
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum