Ceramic Ashtray with Brass Surround- Chinese, Wong Lee copying William Lowe

2 posters

Go down

Ceramic Ashtray with Brass Surround- Chinese, Wong Lee copying William Lowe Empty Ceramic Ashtray with Brass Surround- Chinese, Wong Lee copying William Lowe

Post by geraintwoolford May 13th 2023, 9:50 am

I have acquired this heavy ash tray. It has a ceramic body with images of exotic birds and an ornate brass surround. It is 17cm square. It has a mark on the base and I would appreciate any help in identifying its origin. Thank you.Ceramic Ashtray with Brass Surround- Chinese, Wong Lee copying William Lowe A110
Ceramic Ashtray with Brass Surround- Chinese, Wong Lee copying William Lowe A210
Ceramic Ashtray with Brass Surround- Chinese, Wong Lee copying William Lowe A310
geraintwoolford
geraintwoolford

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2017-06-02

Back to top Go down

Ceramic Ashtray with Brass Surround- Chinese, Wong Lee copying William Lowe Empty Re: Ceramic Ashtray with Brass Surround- Chinese, Wong Lee copying William Lowe

Post by PhilosophiaSB May 15th 2023, 11:14 am

This kind of craquelle porcelain items are being made since the 80's , in China and they are real frauds IMO.

https://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/resources/misrepresented-groups/wl1895/index.php

PhilosophiaSB
PhilosophiaSB

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2022-07-15

Back to top Go down

Ceramic Ashtray with Brass Surround- Chinese, Wong Lee copying William Lowe Empty Re: Ceramic Ashtray with Brass Surround- Chinese, Wong Lee copying William Lowe

Post by geraintwoolford May 15th 2023, 11:25 am

Thank you so much, very enlightening
geraintwoolford
geraintwoolford

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2017-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilosophiaSB May 15th 2023, 11:41 am

This is an interesting discussion on the topic, comments worth to be read.
https://www.figurines-sculpture.com/pottery-marks-fakery-or-influence.html?utm_content=cmp-true

I may prove myself with screenshots that a "reputable" auction house in Romania put for sell a Wong Lee Piece as a William Lowe piece and i did upset them by sending comments . Sadly , they didn't withdraw that item.
PhilosophiaSB
PhilosophiaSB

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2022-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum