Abstract vase - incised signature W in a circle

3 posters

Go down

Abstract vase - incised signature W in a circle Empty Abstract vase - incised signature W in a circle

Post by Sbro April 16th 2023, 9:43 am

Dear Forum

A abstract glazed stoneware 3-holes vase approx 12cm at its highest and 14cm at its widest. Texturing to a lot of the surface.

Incised signature of W in a circle to the raw base.

Would appreciate some help in IDing this piece.

Thanks in advance

Abstract vase - incised signature W in a circle 67032710
Abstract vase - incised signature W in a circle 3ba30c10
Abstract vase - incised signature W in a circle F0391210
Sbro
Sbro

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2022-07-10

Back to top Go down

Abstract vase - incised signature W in a circle Empty Re: Abstract vase - incised signature W in a circle

Post by philpot April 16th 2023, 10:02 am

My first thought was on reading a W was Alan Wallwork. But I am not too sure if that W is right for him. The plain W he uses is more inscribed than this one. This type of naturalistic 'Pebble' vase was very popular in the mid 1970's. Mary Rogers did a lot, as did Robert Fournier.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6432
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Abstract vase - incised signature W in a circle Empty Re: Abstract vase - incised signature W in a circle

Post by Sbro April 16th 2023, 4:30 pm

Thanks Philpot. Will look at the range of Wallwork marks for a start

Cheers
Sbro
Sbro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbro April 16th 2023, 7:55 pm

Apologies forgot to mention that the signature mark lies within a concave area on the base.

Kindest
Sbro
Sbro

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 17th 2023, 7:43 am

Like Robert Fournier, who ripped off the pots that Alan Wallwork and Bernard Rooke were making in Greenwich in the 1960s, this looks to be from the same period.

Without the mark, I would have said that it looked very much like a Robert Fournier piece, but with a mark I have no idea and think it would be very difficult to put a name to it.

What I will say with certainty is that it was not made by Alan Wallwork but it could have been made by a contemporary of his to show him as a laugh.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbro April 17th 2023, 7:54 am

Dear Studio

Thanks as always for your time and for your valued comments and insights. Greatly appreciated.

Kindest

Sbro
Sbro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum