Need help identifying this Silver Compote and WH Hallmark

2 posters

Go down

Need help identifying this Silver Compote and WH Hallmark Empty Need help identifying this Silver Compote and WH Hallmark

Post by halfpiint Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:17 am

Any help Identifying this compote would be greatly appreciated as I've exhausted Google lens with no success of finding a similar image or Hallmark
Thanks a bunch!
Need help identifying this Silver Compote and WH Hallmark 640_0111
Need help identifying this Silver Compote and WH Hallmark 640_0211
Need help identifying this Silver Compote and WH Hallmark 640_0410
halfpiint
halfpiint

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2023-04-11

Back to top Go down

Need help identifying this Silver Compote and WH Hallmark Empty Re: Need help identifying this Silver Compote and WH Hallmark

Post by user9318 Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:48 am

Are you sure it is silver? Are there other marks, like the town assay office stamp, the lion passant and the date letter?
user9318
user9318

Female Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-10-25

Back to top Go down

Need help identifying this Silver Compote and WH Hallmark Empty Re: Need help identifying this Silver Compote and WH Hallmark

Post by halfpiint Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:51 pm

I'M not sure of anything. It belonged to my Mother. She's had it since late 1950s or early 1960s.

There is another tiny stamp that I couldn't make sense of so I didn't include the image. Let me grab it. Hope it's helpful.

Need help identifying this Silver Compote and WH Hallmark 640_0310
Need help identifying this Silver Compote and WH Hallmark 640_0510
halfpiint
halfpiint

Back to top Go down

Post by user9318 Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:29 am

Thanks for that additional mark, that definitely looks like an Austro-Hungarian silver mark to me and I would say that it is .800 silver fineness which was used between 1872-1922 as I can just make out the letter and number in your photo, but not clearly, one will be a letter, on the right for the assay city/town, the number, on the left to signify the silver content. There is a list of letters to match with the towns in the link below.
https://www.925-1000.com/Faustria_02.html

If that is the only other mark and has no British silver import marks, then this was brought over from Austria/Hungary by the owner. I do not have a reference to Austro-Hungarian makers, but you could try searching or asking on the above websites forum: https://www.925-1000.com/forum/index.php
There are very knowledgeable people on that forum who may be able to help with the maker/sponsors mark.
user9318
user9318

Back to top Go down

Post by halfpiint Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:21 am

Now that you mention a letter I see a faint A on the right.
The link was especially helpful. Thank you

There are no other marks, but I'll head over to that forum and ask.
You are a wealth of knowledge. Again, thank you very much for
sharing your knowledge. It's greatly appreciated.
halfpiint
halfpiint

Back to top Go down

Post by user9318 Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:37 am

I thought the letter looked like an A which is for the means this was assayed in Vienna. The letter on the other side should be a 3.

I am glad you found that small mark, it made all the difference in nailing down part of the identification down with the country of origin and a rough date.

Hopefully, the forum members at 925 will be able to help you further with the makers mark.
I'm glad I could help with part of this, and you are more than welcome.
user9318
user9318

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum