Unusual stoneware base to an oil burner. paper labels on base

2 posters

Go down

Unusual stoneware base to an oil burner. paper labels on base Empty Unusual stoneware base to an oil burner. paper labels on base

Post by Sbro April 2nd 2023, 10:54 am

Dear forum

Would love to ID the stoneware base to this oil burner which is made by Duplex, England.

Base is a fantastic piece of glazed stoneware approx 6 inches in height, ovoid in form.

Paper labels seem have been affixed to the base but appear to have disintegrated over time. Picture supplied!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kindest

Unusual stoneware base to an oil burner. paper labels on base E7547e10
Unusual stoneware base to an oil burner. paper labels on base 54946a10
Unusual stoneware base to an oil burner. paper labels on base 6770c510
Sbro
Sbro

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2022-07-10

Back to top Go down

Unusual stoneware base to an oil burner. paper labels on base Empty Re: Unusual stoneware base to an oil burner. paper labels on base

Post by Sbro April 3rd 2023, 5:01 pm

Dear all

Additional thought. Wondered if there were any retailers who pulled together these oil burners using studio pots (British or oriental) that spring to anyones mind? I guess I’m thinking along the lines of a Liberty, Heals, Biba etc…

Sorry, I’m channelling my old hippie today! Pretty sure this kind of piece had a renaissance of sorts in the late 60s / early 70s.

Kindest

Sbro
Sbro

Back to top Go down

Unusual stoneware base to an oil burner. paper labels on base Empty Re: Unusual stoneware base to an oil burner. paper labels on base

Post by NaomiM April 3rd 2023, 5:08 pm

The pot looks Asian, so I think it is by a company importing bases to make into lamps for the department stores

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32036
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbro April 3rd 2023, 5:37 pm

Thanks Naomi. Really appreciate your insights.

FYI the small dials which alter the wicks are stamped “DUPLEX BRITISH MADE”. Trying to ascertain a date for the oil burner from this but believe the Duplex burners were made from the late 1800s until the 1980s !!!
Sbro
Sbro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbro May 25th 2023, 8:07 pm

Think the label may have originally read “fragile”. Still trying to pin the pot to a country of origin and date of manufacture along with a possible London retailer who might have sold the lamp originally!
Sbro
Sbro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum